Another modelleable flatcar load headed for the UK!

Doh

Just realised we've already got threads here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/59999-a4-inbound-from-usa/page__fromsearch__1

And here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/51012-a4s-are-coming-home/page__fromsearch__1

And even here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/42930-all-six-surviving-a4s-to-be-reunited-in-2013/

Is it worth keeping this going as a record of it as a flatcar load, rather than about the loco or the rights and wrongs of the move?

Yes, I'm agreeable. Will the train pick up the other A4 before heading to Halifax, do you know? That will be an interesting train to model.

Let's treat it as an interesting potential model.

Any other comments then please go to the other threads....

Best, Pete.

Not sure, there was a comment on the Illinirail list that it's in Joliet now, so has moved South to Chicago rather than up to Canada so far...but the other loco is in Montreal? so it might just have been easier to route it round the bottom of Lake Michigan, Chicago-Detroit/Huron-Toronto?

Does anyone make 1:87 or 1:160 scale A4s?

I don't know whether there's ever been a 1:87 A4, although I doubt it. However, didn't Del Prado do a static 1:160 scale A4? It could be my memory playing tricks on me, but I think I have seen one or two on eBay in the past, possibly Mallard in LNER blue.

David

Yes, I'm agreeable. Will the train pick up the other A4 before heading to Halifax, do you know? That will be an interesting train to model.

Let's treat it as an interesting potential model.

Any other comments then please go to the other threads....

Best, Pete.

No, my understanding of the shipping plan is that the same flatcars will return from Halifax to Montreal to pick up Dominion of Canada once Dwigth D has been delivered to the Dock in Halifax, though that is obviously subject to change.

-Stephen

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps someone who owns a 3.5mm US/Canada flat car will try it with a 4mm A4??????

Let's see what that looks like.

Best, Pete.

Go on so, apologies for the masses of clutter in the background!

post-7114-0-04128600-1344466257_thumb.jpg

post-7114-0-68311200-1344466300_thumb.jpg

post-7114-0-77145900-1344466354_thumb.jpg

And the tender

post-7114-0-98844400-1344466403_thumb.jpg

post-7114-0-66348700-1344466463_thumb.jpg

Think an unmotored HO version would work better!

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone make 1:87 or 1:160 scale A4s?

It'll be nice to see A4s in close to as withdrawn state rather than polished and preserved.

Happy modelling.

Steven B

There is a static 'partwork' model in HO scale from Atlas Editions of the A4. IIRC it is of 'Mallard' in garter blue.

4mm is considerably bigger than 3.5 when you put them side by side. Thing is, its not normally something you do as most UK stuff doesn't run anywhere H0

Only on my display shelves :)

A Canadian modeller has used Graham Farrish Mk3's to model the Nightstar VIA Coaches in N-Scale, but doing the same in HO is almost impossible as putting OO Scale coaches behind an HO P42 or F40PH looks terrible, as the coaches are taller than the locomotives instead of the other way around. The A4 Load would be a cool one to model if there was a properly scaled HO version out there, but without it, other than as a conversation piece, it looks a bit silly being that much bigger than a modern North American 6 axle locomotive.

4mm is considerably bigger than 3.5 when you put them side by side. Thing is, its not normally something you do as most UK stuff doesn't run anywhere H0

About 1/8th difference - shipping containers are a good comparator and yes, the difference looks really huge when they are next to each other, i'll do a couple of pics later if I get chance...

I have a theory that this is also partially why lots of folk over here think US trains run too slowly as well, they are actually running about 1/8th faster than they appear to their eyes...

I heard, in the Steam Railway office yesterday, that 60008 is now in Toronto. It'll be interesting to see how they get it to Halifax - I saw NO mixed freight trains between Montreal and Halifax when I was there in May, only container trains at Halifax itself. I understand that 60010 is not moving till the end of August. It was brought out of its shed for pictures and then put away again. As far as modelling goes, any mix of OO and HO looks absurd. I tried it with MK4 stock to see if a Nightstar/Rennaissance conversion was possible but the coaches just look huge. The amazing thing about the A4s is that you can put them on a flatcar - not even a well wagon - and they are still within the loading gauge - not so if you use a 4mm:1ft scale model on an HO flatcar.

CHRIS LEIGH

I heard, in the Steam Railway office yesterday, that 60008 is now in Toronto. It'll be interesting to see how they get it to Halifax - I saw NO mixed freight trains between Montreal and Halifax when I was there in May, only container trains at Halifax itself. I understand that 60010 is not moving till the end of August. It was brought out of its shed for pictures and then put away again.

I am kinda counting on that. I am going to be in Montreal at Exporail on the 18th and am really hoping to see 60010 again before she goes on her grand adventure and returns to us in her snazzy new/old guise post repainting/single chimney/bell/valances during her return

If you want to model it covered with a tarp you could use the Atlas A3 (static HO scale) which is quite common and easy to obtain.

This is true, you could probably get away with the wheels being the wrong size if you used just OO gauge wheels to get the right general look and mocked up the tarp. Realistically if you really wanted the load, scratch building a tender in HO would be a lot simpler than the A4 itself.

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...

Not my video, but noted Canadian Railfan David Othen caught Dwight D arriving in Halifax yesterday.

http://youtu.be/lMDlfHkwIuw

I was lucky enough to see Dominion of Canada out in the sun and being shunted to get lubrication into the motion on Saturday when i was at Exporail. I have lots of pictures and videos, but can't post them on the lousy hotel internet access so it will be Wednesday when i am home before they go online.

I am kinda counting on that. I am going to be in Montreal at Exporail on the 18th and am really hoping to see 60010 again before she goes on her grand adventure and returns to us in her snazzy new/old guise post repainting/single chimney/bell/valances during her return

Stephen

I'm hearing Sept 3 for collection from Montreal and from a different source September 5 for arrival in the UK. A very fast crossing! Presumably they intend to turn the A4s upside down and tow them across behind a catamaran!!

I'm hearing Sept 3 for collection from Montreal and from a different source September 5 for arrival in the UK. A very fast crossing! Presumably they intend to turn the A4s upside down and tow them across behind a catamaran!!

Everyone seems to have different dates, i guess we shall see when they get there.

In any event, the video from Saturday is now posted on my Youtube:

Yer can't have it back unless yer promise to look after it next time.......

(Edit: This was a mildly sarcastic note after the other thread, by jingo - see my post No. 11 for my views - why am I writing this?)

Best, Pete.

Archived