00 gauge Class 20 sounds - using the older 3.5 decoder.

250BOB

Hi Guys,

I have a class 20 sound decoder, a Howes one from about 4 or 5 years ago.

I wouldnt mind getting it re blown, but would love to hear from you guys which you consider to be the best option using the 3,5 decoder.?

Thanks................Bob.

Hi Mick.......I want to keep it as a Class 20 sound.

I just wondered if in the last couple of years someone had come up with a superior sounding 3.5 version. I'm not too disappointed with how they currently sound, but wanted to know if there is better out there.

Thanks...............Bob.

Hi Bob,

May be worth checking out Legomanbiffo's youtube channel.

Cheers,

Mick

I'll do that Mick,.......I just bought a class 37/0 of his, a version 4 decoder......amazing...!!!!

I'll do a bit of research.

Thanks................Bob

Hi Mick.......I want to keep it as a Class 20 sound.

I just wondered if in the last couple of years someone had come up with a superior sounding 3.5 version. I'm not too disappointed with how they currently sound, but wanted to know if there is better out there.

Thanks...............Bob.

Bob,

There is a better sounding 20 but not available on a Loksound 3.5.........

It is a Digitrains 20 , but its a Zimo chip :sungum:

Bob,

There is a better sounding 20 but not available on a Loksound 3.5.........

It is a Digitrains 20 , but its a Zimo chip :sungum:

Hi Cassey,

Thanks....I have seen some clips of much better 20 sounds, but I think they were on things like you said, the Zimo chip, or Loksound 4 decoders.

I particularly wanted to use my current 3.5 decoder and just re blow it with a better 20 sound if such an animal is available. otherwise it would mean my decoder becoming redundant.

Bob

• RMweb Premium

I have a Howes 3.5 in my class 20 - still pleased with the sound and it usually gets positive comments from punters at exhibitions. Maybe look at a speaker upgrade rather than a reblow? Mine just has the standard rectangular speaker, but I it's a good chance there is something better available these days.

Hi Cassey,

Thanks....I have seen some clips of much better 20 sounds, but I think they were on things like you said, the Zimo chip, or Loksound 4 decoders.

I particularly wanted to use my current 3.5 decoder and just re blow it with a better 20 sound if such an animal is available. otherwise it would mean my decoder becoming redundant.

Bob

Bob,

I would contact DCkits and ask Charlie to reprogram with a Bif class 20, I have one / or two, although on a V4's and they are by far the best of the Loksound 20's!

Hey, its personal choice!

Although I do have a 20 project for the v3.5 it is no longer to the standards I like to maintain these days and doesn't come close to my v4 version. You will probably struggle to better the Howes one you already have. I milled the tanks off my 20 and fitted a 23mm round speaker facing down in a custom enclosure but the improvement was much more marginal than other locos I've done this with, only just worth the effort. Hope this helps your decision.

Bif

• RMweb Premium

If you're doing a pair of 20's that stay coupled, then take the motor out of one and replace it with a bass reflex and wire it from the other loco. I also fitted a 23mm round in the powered loco.

post-408-0-19537000-1344689845_thumb.jpg

And here's a dodgy video of the result with a Howes v3.5

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the video...I do need to keep the drive in my other 20, as the gradients on my layout do make one drive unite struggle a bit, especially on the curves on a gradient. Nice idea though......one for the future for me maybe.

Hi Bif,

Having recently bought a Class 37 sound of yours, I am now spoilt......fortunatley I only have 3 other 3.5 sound decoders, so it wont be a big deal gradually replacing them all.

Hi Mark,

Yes, you are right....its a pretty damn good sound from the Howes one.....and better than many I have heard. It looks like a version 4 decoder is the way forward.

Hi Ian,

I shall drop you a PM later.

Thanks for all your interest on the topic guys, your replies and suggestions and help are very much appreciated.....as always.

Bob

Archived