Hornby sound class 50

english electric

hope to get my hands on one of these before crimbo - snow or no snow - I hope Hornby have remembered to include snowploughs with it- there arent any shown on the catalogue image.

If not , the only way to get them is to buy a 50007 sad.gif as the ploughs arent available as spares

Saw a demonstration of Valiant today in the model shop...its great. Didnt realise the sound also works on DC as well as DCC though!

Well worth it if you can spare ??165!

extremely good value seeing as some of the standard release 50s are now pushing ??90 - 'Lion' seems to be commanding very high prices at the moment

'179

There appears to be a problem with this loco.

The headcode marker lights remain on in both directions.

This is the same with all the models I have tested.

I've asked Hornby if this is a "Feature" but I believe it is a manufacturing defect.

I have withdrawn them from sale for the time being, until I get an answer from Hornby.

they do sound good though...

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u244/level5models/?action=view&current=MVI_5370.flv

hi

above a quick vid of 50015 in action - I think it sounds great!

Mine also has the marker light issue - but having a look inside the loco this should be fixable by swapping a couple of wires - hower this will involve a soldering iron as this loco has a different circuit board to the non sound versions -

Merry Christmas everyone -

jon

thanks for posting the video, spot on i cant wait to get one now but it wont be till febuary time

the fault what trains 4 u mentioned has also been reported by oliva trains i noticed that last night and it appears it could be faulty im going to wait to see what happens before i purchase one, hopefully it wont be nowt major, i have also read on the olivas trains new releases page under 50015 it also got a high amp draw

Well I for one wasn't impressed! The start up and tick over is recorded form a cold(ish) start - not really an issue but the top end full power is well not much. It will probably be better with a larger speaker or two but not as it is at the moment.

As for value... Howes sell a good (and better IMHO) 50 sound chip for ??110 or so and Hornby 50's can be picked up for ??40 to ??50 on ebay. So unless you really, really want Vac15 in Dutch then this would be the better option IMHO!

Evening - forgot to add , the all important snow ploughs are included with this loco - I have disconnected the working fan on mine - possibly this would improve the current draw - as the fan mechanism has quite a bit of resistance in it when you turn it by hand - IMO the 50 runs better with the fan disconnected- especially at slow speed - My loco also has lots of very thick white grease in the bogies - as a habbit i strip these down and completely remove all the sticky horrible grease - and then just apply the smallest amount of light oil instead - again this dramatically improves performance - and could possibly mean it draws a bit less current.

tfn

jon

Jon (43179), My lights have the same problem, so when you get a fix please let me know. Haven't had much of chance to run the loco so far, but should have more time on Monday to have a go. Need to see how it compares with the SWD 50 I have had for a while now, which I think is very good. By the way, have looked at the CV settings just in case Hornby had wired the lights up seperately, so you could control the marker lights and head lights individually, but no chance. Tony.

Mine is boxed up ready to go back when I return to work and the shop from where it was purchased.

Sorry but I am not prepared to solder and rewire a loco with an rrp of nearly ??210 to rectify a basic production fault.

As well as the annoying incorrect illuminated both ends marker lights it also shorts out on pointwork.

Not Hornby's finest hour I am affraid

Just had a response from Hornby, they have asked me to reset the decoder as they believe the problem with the lights could be the decoder. I've explained that I've already looked at the CV settings for the lights and it's nothing to do with that. They have said that they have NOT received any other complaints about the lights, so can one or two others please e-mail Hornby and let them know you also have a problem. Perhaps one or two returns after the holiday will also help. Will keep you up to date if I here anything further. Tony.

• RMweb Gold

Just had a response from Hornby, they have asked me to reset the decoder as they believe the problem with the lights could be the decoder. I've explained that I've already looked at the CV settings for the lights and it's nothing to do with that. They have said that they have NOT received any other complaints about the lights, so can one or two others please e-mail Hornby and let them know you also have a problem. Perhaps one or two returns after the holiday will also help. Will keep you up to date if I here anything further. Tony.

will resetting the decoder not cause it to lose its Speed profiles and put all the sounds out of sync? (or am i just talking tripe :) )

must admit im with you on this one....might well have to return mine....its binding and emits a loud squeak from one of the bogies...and its getting more than annoying....plus this lights issue....might have been a little easier for Hornby if they had not closed their forum!!!!

• RMweb Gold

Here is a short video of one.

Now.....it could be me....with my dire electronics knowledge, but i would appear that Hornby have wired the lights up...somewhat completely oddly....

it would appear we have positive wires....going to negative...connections on the board...LED 2 and LED 3 appear to be wired backwards...

image-9350_4B49FD66.jpg

any idea on what to move to where to actually get it to work correctly?

I have now had a reply from Hornby and they do admit that there is a problem with the lighting. They have said to do nothing at the moment, after asking me to do a reset, and they will get back to me once they have a fix for the problem. So we will have to wait and see what they have to say.

Archived