Hornby sound class 50

english electric

if anyone is planning of putting 50015 body on one of the older models which is the 8pin eg 50027 or 50031 etc you need to change the the led round in the headcode box if they dont work. i tried it yesterday on 3 chassiss and they didnt work so today i had a tinker , i romoved one from 50149 and the led was the opersite way round so i changed them round and bingo the none lighting head codes were sorted but before they would only work on the 21pin chassis, just thought id share that bit of info incase anyone else was having the same issue

• 2 weeks later...

Received this reply today from Hornby about the lights -

Hello again,

Yes we have a fix.. sorry I was due to email you this week anyway..

The fix involves a modification of the circuit board in the loco..

You can send the loco to us for modification..

Please send your loco for to the address below.. please supply a covering note requesting a postal refund and an requesting the “head code†light issue.

Thank you

Kenn

HH DCC Support

Couldn't find the address, but assume it's the normal Hornby address.

• 4 months later...

I know it's been a while since the topic of the lights has been raised, but I've been messing with other things and haven't had a chance to look closely at this. Anyway, I've now found out that all the Hornby sound diesels have the same circuit board and are all wired with a positive feed to the LED's. This explains the problem people have had with lights not working, when swapping over bodies from non-sound diesels to sound diesels and visa versa. This then makes sorting out the lights problem on this loco I think easy. It also means that getting independant tail lighting on all the sound diesels is also very easy.

Taking things the other way round. The article in Model Rail covering modifications to the Hornby 56 and the part about the tail lights, can be used to convert all the tail lights on the Hornby sound diesels, have a look, as it's the same modification whatever the model. And I've done all of mine the same, so I know it works.

Fixing the top marker lights on this model can be fixed in the same way, by taking a return wire from the 1st and 2nd outputs soldered to the base of the 21 pin plug. Then connecting it via a resistor to the wire feeding the top marker lights and that's it. If you need more detail then let me know. Tony.

• 1 month later...

Hi all -

Ive just unwrapped 50037 'Illustrious' with sound -

the lighting issue has been fixed - which is great , also worthy of note is the 'bits' bag includes a set of snowploughs - which are a valuable commodity as they arent available as spares, and have only been supplied with a few models. Sound itself is unchanged and is very good IMO B)

buy one and have fun!

tfn

jon

That's good to know that 50037 has ploughs as this loco was one of the first to be fitted during the winter of 1985/86 so you can fit them.

http://craigt.fotopic.net/p54962742.html

As for the sound well in my opinion it's a shame it's the same as Vailant as that sounds like a bag of nails I believe it was recorded recently? but if your modeling 50037 then they should have recorded one of the main line locos like 50044 during or straight after a tour or main line running as a warm running engine with less hours would sound better on tick over, but that is just my opinion <_<

(other sound chips are available)

PS The orange stripe was not on this loco with ploughs but it's Hornby one colour fits all as usual.

http://orangesquare.fotopic.net/p61488664.html

My '037, like most Hornby 50s I buy is destined for respray - so the livery niggles dont bother me - although , as you mention , it is a bit of a shame that Hornby just whack a different number on the same basic large logo livery - cos its wasnt that simple in real life !

Oh - i forgot to mention the ploughs are supplied unpainted black plastic - but thats not really the end of the world - its just nice to have them . When Hornby supplied them yellow they were the wrong shade anyway:D .

Right - lets get those windscreens hacked...

tfn

Jon

Guest 838rapid

Yeah a friend and me also have got ticking clocks...

A reblow is on the way.

Have body swapped mine into Defiance as 50149.

Also cabs so have got lighting.

• 4 months later...

Hi just got this loco but the intention is to swap with Dauntless as i am renumbering this to 50035 Ark Royal :D

The question i have is this will it be a simple swap so my 35 will have sound or have i got to swap the cab interior as well?

I am hoping it will be a simple swap so my beast has sound.

So anyone swapped a Valiant bodyshell with an older Dauntless model?

Here is hoping not just wasted £150 notes while i love Valiant and need it to go with the forthcoming Thunderer, Ark Royal is my fave and the one i wanted with sound.

Any help advise greatly appreciated.

thanks

Not sure about the 50 but I would assume Hornby have done the same thing as all of their other sound locos, so ... you will probably have to swap the cab interiors too, if they have any contact strips or lighting attached. I had to do this with their class 60 when I swapped the sound chassis into the Mainline liveried 60 078 body.

Having said that, it is not difficult to do.

Not sure about the 50 but I would assume Hornby have done the same thing as all of their other sound locos, so ... you will probably have to swap the cab interiors too, if they have any contact strips or lighting attached. I had to do this with their class 60 when I swapped the sound chassis into the Mainline liveried 60 078 body.

Having said that, it is not difficult to do.

Hi Geoof, thanks but anybody who has swapped a 50 bodyshell over with sound please post on here.

thank you

Ian

Hi

i have swapped the 50015 valiant body over to the 8pin chassis version and i had to swap the headcoad lighting boards on back of the cab interiors over, they pop off,

with the 50015 the original headcode lights didnt work on the 8pin chassis and swapped the boards over and they worked and when i looked the leds on the sound version were wired the oppersite way round

Hope that helps

Archived