The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Flashing Brake Lights on Touring Cars

edcayton

Well, actually the Porsches in the supporting races. The commentator said that the brake lights appeared to be flashing to the camera, but not the naked eye. From what I could see it wasn't the brake lights at all because they were flashing when there was no way the car would be braking.

Any ideas?

Ed

I thought of both of those. I don't think it was the sun because it was all round the track. For the camera thing, it's not like the old wheels on the stage coach thing, because that was film at so many frames per second is it? I have no idea how modern cameras work.

Thanks for replying guys

Ed

LEDs being lit a certain number of pulses a second "out of sync" with the shutter speed of the camera?

Is the right answer, I once filmed an LED brake light (with a super 8 video camera) and although it looked on all the time when I played it back it flashed because it was going in and out of sync with the camera.

Modern cameras still basically work to the 25fps (or sometimes 50fps) as their older counterparts did, it i9s just taking lots of pictures a second.

Well, actually the Porsches in the supporting races. The commentator said that the brake lights appeared to be flashing to the camera, but not the naked eye. From what I could see it wasn't the brake lights at all because they were flashing when there was no way the car would be braking.

From this you seem to be saying the brake lights were supposed to be off (and visible as such to the commentator). In which case I don't think we have got to the bottom of this because while they might be flickering at high speed when on, I can't see this happening when they are off.

You get a similar effect if photographing LED displays such as train destinations or platform indicators, unless you use quite a long exposure, as these are multiplexed rather than being constantly lit.

You get a similar effect if photographing LED displays such as train destinations or platform indicators, unless you use quite a long exposure, as these are multiplexed rather than being constantly lit.

Hi,

Same thing happens with LCD / LED screen displays, I remember watching a video of a RAF Merlin Helicopter display from the cockpit and it's 'glass cockpit' LCD screens flicked and the commentry said that it doesn't not happen in real life, but the screens not being in sync with the camera

The only other time I can thing of flashing brake lights in racing is in F1 when it is raining, but there not really brake lights, just warning lights.

Simon

The ones I saw whilst watching the race were definitely on when the cars were brakiing, so I reckon it's the LED issue as mentioned above.

The safe effect can be often seen with LED lights on "Top Gear".

• RMweb Premium

I sometimes get detachted flashing light effect and cannot work out where they are - very dangerous - never had with traditional bulbs.

Seen on some Peugeot tin roof convertable and some largish Korean POS

Archived