Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The human side of the railway...

I've just had a very enjoyable trawl back through the entire forty pages of the thread (partly to remind myself what I have or haven't posted so far) and just want to say a very big 'thank you' to each and every contributor who has taken the time to add their thoughts, stories and of course images - when I started it two years ago I never thought it would still be going strong all this time later. A big thank you too, to those who've posted links to other collections such as those on flickr etc... all good stuff and it's very welcome. I've made a point of adding some belated 'likes' here and there too - to posts which I'd somehow previously missed.

Looking at a lot of the photos from the good old days of British Rail has made me dig out my trusty old BR leather driver's bag and mash can once more - they might even see some action on tomorrow's 6D45 Luton - Mountsorrel empties... ;)

Thanks again folks :good:

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Waiting for the road.

Year - probably Summer 1974 as I was tracking down the few remaining Westerns and Hymeks at the time.

Location - almost certainly Westbury as the adjacent slides in the box are from that location, but could possibly be Reading.

There are assorted slides in the box of Westerns, Hymeks and 50s taken at Reading and Westbury during 1974 that I'll get scanned and posted in a suitable thread.

• Like 12

Just going back to that flying scotsman pic. Is there any of those thistle headboards preserved?

I'm pretty sure the NRM have one of them Michael, I'd be very surprised if they didn't.

4630 / Russ W - lovely shot of Western Glory and Driver - looking forward to seeing your other slides if you have the time to share them ;)

• Like 1

I've just had a very enjoyable trawl back through the entire forty pages of the thread (partly to remind myself what I have or haven't posted so far) and just want to say a very big 'thank you' to each and every contributor who has taken the time to add their thoughts, stories and of course images - when I started it two years ago I never thought it would still be going strong all this time later. A big thank you too, to those who've posted links to other collections such as those on flickr etc... all good stuff and it's very welcome. ......

Thanks again folks :good:

I have also greatly enjoyed this thread and the variety it has thrown up.

I have been thinking about my railway photography, and about the importance, or absence, of people in photographs.

As a kid with my instamatic and its 12 exposure film I guess I would just point and shoot and hope that the subject  loco or train was somewhere within the frame.

Later in my twenties when most of my railway photos were taken I would try, wherever possible, to keep people out of the shot.

I regularly bought Modern Railways and knew that I liked some photos but was not really sure why, then I discovered Les Nixon.

I bought his book 'The Art of Railway Photography' and gradually understood what made, in my opinion, a good photo.

Earlier this year I had the pleasure of meeting Les when he gave a slide show at my local Railway Society.

Nowadays I never go out specifically to take railway photos, but often take a camera on days out so if a shot presents itself I will take it. 

I do now sometimes wait when taking a photo for someone to move into shot to give more life to the photo, something I should have done more often in the 1980s,

cheers 

• Like 3