Hornby castle arriving?

cahoon_danny

• RMweb Gold

Not sure what to make of this yet - earlier in the thread I mentioned that I'd got a Castle that was a poor runner in reverse - very juddery. It was suggested that it might be due to the keeper plate being too tight/loose but despite adjusting it, I couldn't improve matters. I took the Castle back on the weekend (been on holiday) and this time we were able to run a replacement in the shop. The loco was decoder equipped, so it was tested on the shop's DCC test track. This one ran beautifully smoothly in both forward and reverse, so I happily took it home. Once I got it onto my own layout, though, I was surprised to find the same dreadful running in reverse. At that point it occurred to me that I'm presently running on DC at home, and the loco was test run at the shop on DCC. My DCC controller is currently plugged into my American layout, but when I get a chance I'll swap it onto the 4mm one and see what happens. I have a bunch of other recent Hornby locos running smoothly on DC, but the Castle is the only one with a decoder in.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Had a nice chat with Simon Kohler at Warley.Apparently just as they were about to start producing the GW livery version ,the boiler mould broke and stopped production.He's hoping they will start appearing in December but won't promise.The reason the 28xx came out first is because its made in another factory.He assures me Hornby are as annoyed as the modellers waiting and the other Castles are selling well.

• Like 1

Had a nice chat with Simon Kohler at Warley.Apparently just as they were about to start producing the GW livery version ,the boiler mould broke and stopped production.He's hoping they will start appearing in December but won't promise.

This is a new datapoint. We were told some time back that details on the production samples for No. 5011 were wrong, causing delays from the summer. A broken mould explains why the delay is as long as it has been.

The reason the 28xx came out first is because its made in another factory.He assures me Hornby are as annoyed as the modellers waiting and the other Castles are selling well.

This is an interesting piece of information. Hornby executives have been messaging to the finanical community that they were bringing manufacturers other than Sanda Kan on-line. This would appear to evidence that this strategy is working.

Thanks for sharing your conversation with Mr. Kohler.

Had a nice chat with Simon Kohler at Warley.Apparently just as they were about to start producing the GW livery version ,the boiler mould broke and stopped production.He's hoping they will start appearing in December but won't promise.

Somebody posted a list of "delayed until 2011" items on the Hornby forum. I can't speak to the veracity of the data.

At the top of this list is:

R2848 Castle Class Tintagel

R2848X DCC Fitted

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Somebody posted a list of "delayed until 2011" items on the Hornby forum. I can't speak to the veracity of the data.

R2848X DCC Fitted

Thanks!

Whoever this 'somebody' was , he or she was copying the information which KERNOW MODEL RAIL CENTRE included in their Newsletter of Saturday 27th November, so the 'late running' list is, one can presume, straight from Hornby.

Patience is probably still a virtue, or do we all 'WANT IT NOW!'

Patience is probably still a virtue, or do we all 'WANT IT NOW!'

You are right - patience is a virtue and good things come to those who wait, but in this case I would not consider anyone eagerly awaiting a Tintagel Castle and frustrated by the manufacturing delay as being in the 'WANT IT NOW' camp.

Tintagel Castle was announced at Christmas 2008, for the 2009 year. Once we hit January 2011, it will be 25 months and counting since the product announcement. In the meantime, I believe all the other Castles (in sundry BR liveries and configurations but no GWR liveries) announced for both the 2009 and 2010 years have been delivered.

There is a clear business imperative to market to the BR modellers first before pre-nationalization modellers. It's unfortunate that there have been tooling problems getting Tintagel Castle manufactured.

• Like 2

R2848X DCC Fitted

The list is now officially communicated by Hornby in their December releases. See page five.

Tintagel Castle is now officially scheduled for MARCH 2011.

• 1 month later...

A purchase on ebay a few years back yielded this Kodachrome of 7011:

post-41-0-16624000-1296190566_thumb.jpg

I'd fancied doing 7011, in 1964 condition, but have had other priorities when the Hornby castles started arriving last year. Rails seemed to have now hit my price point though:

http://railsofsheffi...-JJJA11895.aspx

I have a motley collection of GWR/BR photo albums from the 1970s, but nothing really scholarly, that would list 7011s configuration towards the end.

Earl Cairns is coming with a single chimney, Hawksworth tender, and the mechanical lubricator- all 7011 items in 1964. I believe I need to add the 'L' shaped handrails to the cab side. That said, other than new plates and a ferret on the tender, would Pete Waterman's 5053 pass for 7011?

I'm much more comfortable with diesels; kettles scare me. Would prefer to avoid making any silly schoolboy errors... blush.gif

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A quick check, not including looking at the chimneys really carefully, comes up with the following -

1. The cover over the inside cylinders is slightly different with 7011 having the later pattern of chequer plate surface with the 'squared-off' front edge which turns round onto the vertical front face of the casing instead of the curved edge on 5052.

2. The oil pipe cover between boiler cladding and smokebox outer cladding is different - much larger on 7011 on the right hand side but no cover at all on the left (running) side.

3. 7011 has a small square separate cover on the right hand side high on the boiler immediately in front of the firebox.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A purchase on ebay a few years back yielded this Kodachrome of 7011:

post-41-0-16624000-1296190566_thumb.jpg

I'd fancied doing 7011, in 1964 condition, but have had other priorities when the Hornby castles started arriving last year. Rails seemed to have now hit my price point though:

Lovely 'photo Pete

7011 always carried a high-superheat boiler ('HB'), so, by 1964, there would not have been an oil-pipe cover on the left-hand boiler-smokebox join (as built, there was a long, 'streamlined' version, eg when she carried that bilious, apple-green, 'experimental' livery). Similarly, on the right-hand side, there was the large, oblong cover which had a rounded front and 'chisel' rear end. Also on the right-hand side, at the boiler-firebox join, there was a rectangular cover plate. This latter has not been modelled by Hornby on any of the high-superheat boilers ('HB' or 'HC'), although Bachmann have featured it on the 6959 class ('AK'). Off topic, be careful here as not all 'AK' covers were rectangular.

Again by 1964, 7011 had the raised central portion on top of the BR inside cylinder casing (to clear strengthening ribs on the opened-out exhaust ports), and all of the upper surfaces, but not the sides, of the casing had chequer-plate applied as an anti-slip measure. This was folded over the front face for getting on for a couple of inches, and both of these features (the raised central portion and the chequer-plate) were applied to GW and BR pattern casings alike (the GW pattern had a rounded 'bullnose' top front edge, whereas the BR pattern had a right-angled one).

The buffers would normally have been parallel shank ones with tread plates on top in 1964; Hornby's efforts appear to me to be a curious 'half-way house' between the Collet taper and parallel versions and should be replaced for absolute accuracy.

Quite right, the grab rail on the cab side sheets should be 'L'-shaped. These appeared from 5098 onwards (ie post-war) and were not retro-fitted to pre-war locos.

Remaining at the cab end, you will require external sandboxes, with external filler caps.

On the plus side (and I think these three outweigh all the above) are the lovely ATC conduit, late pattern steam pipes and mechanical lubricator, all required by your proposed 7011, of course; Hornby's error in providing a lubricator for 5053 is your gain!

Hope this helps.

BR(W).

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Tintagel Castle now in stock at Hattons:

http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=25741

At long last! Fantastic news. Thank you.

With Silver Link also being made available before it appeared in Hornby's monthly new releases bulletins, it seems that with all the trouble they have had with expectation managment, Hornby is now trying to make sure that they 'over deliver' on their commitments.

Either way, it is very good news and a good sign that perhaps at last Hornby is turning the corner with their supply chain problems. (Tooling issues with Tintagel Castle notwithstanding.)

I was notified this morning (US West Coast Time) that my Tintagel Castle has been duly packed and shipped by Hattons and my credit card charged. Now comes another long wait. Packages without anything electronic are taking over 3 weeks. At least Hattons does not ship by Royal Mail and have the package wind up in a storm tossed container again on a slow boat from Liverpool to Jacksonville Florida.Then trucked 3,000 miles.

It will get a good work out on the long dog bone (about 100 feet each way) at my local hobby store. "And now for something completely different" from the land of Monty Python. (Differnt from 5 unit GE lashups with 50 identical coal cars extending forever.)

ken

So 7011 carried the apple-green livery. Ive been thinking of repainting a GWR loco in one of the 1948 oddities to go with my purple A4, apple green 'Royal Scot' and my dark blue Bulleid (with red racing stripes)

Nice to see a GWR Castle not the BR version. Though the tender looks so small compared to the big Hawksworth on my 'Great Western'!

• RMweb Gold

Theres plenty of these around judging by the London show today.It looked very nice on the Hornby stand. B)

I saw a couple of Tintagels in Ian Allan on friday. I don't know whether it was the cabinet lighting, but the green looked really

good, much better than Hornby's usual drab applications.