Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby castle arriving?

cahoon_danny

• RMweb Gold

Right then gentlemen I have a dilemma.As no one has replied to this thread here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/57982-taunton-based-castles-in-gw-days/page__fromsearch__1, I want the new later this year Castle in post war livery so :I have four options.

Rename it to 5077 'Fairey Battle' .Has correct tender for period but is Taunton shed based. or

Rename it to 5078 'Beaufort' .Wrong tender for period by 6 years but was NA based for my period. or

Wait for Hornby to do a post war liveried Castle with Collett tender.or

Don't buy any and give the money to swmbo to treat themselves. :O :nono:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Right then gentlemen I have a dilemma.As no one has replied to this thread here http://www.rmweb.co....__fromsearch__1, I want the new later this year Castle in post war livery so :I have four options.

Rename it to 5077 'Fairey Battle' .Has correct tender for period but is Taunton shed based. or

Rename it to 5078 'Beaufort' .Wrong tender for period by 6 years but was NA based for my period. or

Crrikey Rob - more than one wife, you've kept that quiet :O

I didn't answer because I haven't got a clue how it was used although there's always the possibility that it was occasionally pinched to cover a failure so could have gone Down road as readily as Up.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Crrikey Rob - more than one wife, you've kept that quiet :O

I didn't answer because I haven't got a clue how it was used although there's always the possibility that it was occasionally pinched to cover a failure so could have gone Down road as readily as Up.

A failure on the GWR ? Unheard of surely and I don't live in Kuwait so one wife is plenty. :no:

• RMweb Premium

Right then gentlemen I have a dilemma.As no one has replied to this thread here http://www.rmweb.co....__fromsearch__1, I want the new later this year Castle in post war livery so :I have four options.

Hi Rob,

Presumably Castles were shedded further West from Taunton in the pre-War period? Surely Newton Abbot and Plymouth would have had an allocation, although I have no way of checking. OT the excellent Wild Swan book of GW engine sheds (London division) - I wonder why this wasn't made into a series of books to cover other regions?

Back on-topic:

A while ago, I also wondered about my next Castle. At that time, I wanted a loco with a Collet tender, but obviously Hornby had the Hawksworth tender for the GW version. In the end, I found another Tintagel on Ebay and at a reasonable price £90 I think. I do think it strange that the only version with a Collet tender is the BR livery.

I am hoping that Hornby will announce a Collet tender, with GW shirtbutton livery for 2013

Good luck with your deliberations!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob,

Presumably Castles were shedded further West from Taunton in the pre-War period? Surely Newton Abbot and Plymouth would have had an allocation, although I have no way of checking. OT the excellent Wild Swan book of GW engine sheds (London division) - I wonder why this wasn't made into a series of books to cover other regions?

Back on-topic:

A while ago, I also wondered about my next Castle. At that time, I wanted a loco with a Collet tender, but obviously Hornby had the Hawksworth tender for the GW version. In the end, I found another Tintagel on Ebay and at a reasonable price £90 I think. I do think it strange that the only version with a Collet tender is the BR livery.

I am hoping that Hornby will announce a Collet tender, with GW shirtbutton livery for 2013

Good luck with your deliberations!

I wanted one of the 'aircraft' castles especially if Hornby get the detail correct.There were three at NA in1946 in 5071,5072 and 5078 all with the Collett tender at that time.Hence me looking at Taunton with Fairey Battle.Laira didn't have any 'aircraft' castles then.

Has anyone been brave enough to doctor the 1928 livery Tintagel to the later liveries?

No but I have just finished doctoring City of Bath from 1912 livery to its final 1928 guise with larger tender so anything is possible.

A good friend has doctored Tintagel by changing the tender to a 3,500 gallon, which was attached for a period in the early thirties.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

Would be interested to know just how difficult rebranding the tender that comes with tintagnal is, at some point I need to rebrand mine to 1940s G W R and based on Past experience I'm a bit worried that it will leave a lot of ghosting from the old logo.

The intention being to rename tintagnal to Berkeley with the hanksworth tender and then renumber Wellington to Nunney with the 3.5k tender

Fairly sure I remember being told those 2 combinations are accurate

Edited by The Fatadder

• RMweb Premium

I just received R2822 Earl Cairns. Runs like a dream but there is not printed shedcode on the smokebox door. No Quality control again. Not really a major as i am adding an etched one but still.

A good friend has doctored Tintagel by changing the tender to a 3,500 gallon, which was attached for a period in the early thirties.

Mike Wiltshire

Just found the image his conversion is based on. Tender still has full garter coat of arms so pre dates Tintagel Castle build date by several years. Prototype for everyting!

Mike Wiltshire

Would be interested to know just how difficult rebranding the tender that comes with Tintagal is, at some point I need to rebrand mine to 1940s G W R and based on Past experience I'm a bit worried that it will leave a lot of ghosting from the old logo.

If finish is the same as the Hornby County tender used for the City conversion (and as the same Chinese factory is usually involved) then your experience should be the same as mine.

An application of brake fluid over the transfer to be removed area only,(I use a small modelling paint brush). As soon as the transfer appear to lift, wipe it all off and wash down. From pic below, It left no indication of the original " GREAT WESTERN". I needed to preserve the lining and this was unaffected..

Good luck

Mike Wiltshire

post-9992-0-77557600-1340628125_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, sounds very promising.

Hopefully once Brassmasters get round to covering the Castle in their chassis conversion packs I will be inspired to get on and actually do the rebranding.

Still, even once I have got round to rewheeling and bringing the logos up to 1947, its still going to be useless for Cheddar. Though that's not going to stop me from playing with it at home! (And I am sure that the silly hour at the end of the day at shows will eventually end up seeing a Castle on a pair of B sets.....)

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone been brave enough to doctor the 1928 livery Tintagel to the later liveries?

The thing with using Tintagel for other names is it has the 'vauxhall' front and this was changed from 5012 if I'm not mistaken.So using 'Tintagel' on a post war liveried version might be problematic.Research is the key and being brave in removing the tender lettering too.

Hattons have informed my the Hawksworth 'Wellington' Castle will be released in November but in the meantime...

Anyway heres my latest incarceration in 5049 'Earl of Plymouth'.Its renamed from a BR early crest Beverston.It has a few incorrect for 5049 details that I can live with and is perfect for recreating my R C Riley 1957 photo on Dainton so there. :sungum:

post-126-0-72441000-1340990514_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Hello all masters of Western region knowledge etc...

Im needing advice on the paint colour of two of Hornby's releases for a tender swap. I am able to purchase a tender from a model of Earl Cains, in BR early crest and want to swap it with a tender purchased off Clun Castle. Do people know whether the paint schemes on the two are fairly similar (Im thinking that someone has bought both somewhere and would know) and also is the tender the same as the newest Castle locomotives being released?

Thanks in advance...

• RMweb Gold

David,

I'm assuming that it is the latest Earl Cairns you are getting the tender from (Hornby released an Earl Cairns version of their previous Castle model)?

If so, the tenders from the two models will be mechanically identical and interchangable.

The only difference between early and late BR green is the crest so the two tenders should match livery wise.

Hello Brian

I was thinking that the crest would be all thats different but was wondering about whether the shade was slightly out given its two different production runs and was hoping someone would be able to have the two side by side and let me know if its more or less okay to do it. Yes the tender is from a new Earl Cains, the one from the Watermann collection series, but by marrying it with Clun Castle and a renumber I end up with none other than 5043 Earl of Mount Edgcumbe.. which despite northern loyalties I've developed a massive soft spot for!

Sshh! Keep it secret... or my new year rant about no NER engines made will be blown out the water!

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, can't help you on that one as all my Castles are from the first batch.

One thing to watch out for though is the cab side handrails. Clun Castle has L shaped handrails but the Earls would have had the earlier horizontal ones.

Your secret is safe with me. Welcome to the dark side :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I just received R2822 Earl Cairns. Runs like a dream but there is not printed shedcode on the smokebox door. No Quality control again. Not really a major as i am adding an etched one but still.

Not necessarily a quality control issue, as with most loco's in the steam era they didn't always run with shedcode plates fitted.

Sorry, can't help you on that one as all my Castles are from the first batch.

One thing to watch out for though is the cab side handrails. Clun Castle has L shaped handrails but the Earls would have had the earlier horizontal ones.

Your secret is safe with me. Welcome to the dark side :)

Dark side? Everything NER was pretty much Black! Sure your not falling for my influences on that one.

Meanwhile, surely someone has a model of Earl cains and Clun Castle that they could just put the the tender from the first and the body of the latter together to see if they match. Actually have rang Hornby who said they dont sell replacement tenders.... so not much help there.

• 1 month later...

How would you know if you had a incorrect Tintagel Castle from the first batch?

Some Tintagel Castle models incorrectly had a BR number plate on the smokebox door. This was never present in GWR days and as such not appropriate for Tintagel Castle with its GWR livery.

• RMweb Premium

Some Tintagel Castle models incorrectly had a BR number plate on the smokebox door. This was never present in GWR days and as such not appropriate for Tintagel Castle with its GWR livery.

Someone in the factory in China was not paying attention... ;)

Rob, two pictures comparing Hornby 'new' Castle Tenders. I would say the two tenders are identical in colour. Colours are difficult to assess so I have taken one picture with 'Flash' and the other 'timed'.

Regards

Ray

PS I know some of you have visited my own Blog but just to remind you there are two or three posts commenting on the 'new' Castles

With Flash

8169517178_54a6249845_b.jpg

and timed

8169519124_7fae7daa92_b.jpg

Edited by Silver Sidelines