Hornby castle arriving?

cahoon_danny

Does that apply for the all the post war GWR express locos (just black cylinders)? The GWR modelling website does not completely say.

There's a questionmark over this issue. Apart from the first 4-6-0 County, it seems that lining on express passenger locos was probably simplified compared to the pre-war spec. See:

http://www.uksteam.info/wsr/picsc/02032581.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e3/DSCN2101-earl-bathurst_crop_1200x600.JPG

There's a questionmark over this issue. Apart from the first 4-6-0 County, it seems that lining on express passenger locos was probably simplified compared to the pre-war spec. See:

http://www.uksteam.info/wsr/picsc/02032581.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e3/DSCN2101-earl-bathurst_crop_1200x600.JPG

There isn't a question mark really. I have a copy of the GWR post-war painting schedule.

Thanks Coach. Does that specify lining was omitted from: loco valances, tender frames, cylinders, buffer housings, internal cab, and firebox lining over splashers? (And bufferbeam fronts?)

(I would appreciate a copy of that post-war painting schedule so that it could be reflected on the GWR Modelling site.)

Thanks Coach. Does that specify lining was omitted from: loco valances, tender frames, cylinders, buffer housings, internal cab, and firebox lining over splashers? (And bufferbeam fronts?)

(I would appreciate a copy of that post-war painting schedule so that it could be reflected on the GWR Modelling site.)

I'm gonna have to get bck to you on this. Embarrassingly I cannot find it....I only came across it the other day while researching for something else on RMweb so it's go to be tucked away inside a book somewhere.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Both my local model shop and the Hattons website are both saying that 'Wellington' is now not due until the 16th December! This is quite galling as it was until very recently pencilled-in to arrive this month, having been absent from Hornby's recently released list of postponed items.

Looking at it, we'll be lucky to have out copper-capped mitts on one of these until the turn of the year - when it was originally in Hornby's 2012 catalogue! Surely a two-year delay is a record for a loco with existing tooling?

Ah well, back to my decade-old Dunster Castle...

CoY 

I don't think they will get there by tomorrow.

Both my local model shop and the Hattons website are both saying that 'Wellington' is now not due until the 16th December! ...

Looking at it, we'll be lucky to have out copper-capped mitts on one of these until the turn of the year - when it was originally in Hornby's 2012 catalogue! Surely a two-year delay is a record for a loco with existing tooling?

No, a two-year delay for a new Hornby Castle is not even close to a record. Tintagel Castle was at least that and then some. The B17 wasn't much different either. You'll find that this very thread details the drawn out delays to Tintagel Castle from the time it was ordered (December 2008) to deliveries in the first half of 2011 (~April 2011) - a period well over 24 months. Looking through the thread mine seems to have appeared in June, so about 30 months or so for me.

Now it's No, 4073 Caerphilly Castle for me, even at just south of £150.

I'm delighted to see an earlier liveried Castle back in the range. I do hope though that Wellington appears first. It would only be fair.

And they even have 10-spoked wheels, or at least the pictures do.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Premium

No, a two-year delay for a new Hornby Castle is not even close to a record. Tintagel Castle was at least that and then some. The B17 wasn't much different either.

Now it's No, 4073 Caerphilly Castle for me, even at just south of £150.

I'm delighted to see an earlier liveried Castle back in the range. I do hope though that Wellington appears first. It would only be fair.

And they even have 10-spoked wheels, or at least the pictures do.

It's in conjunction with the NRM, so some of that probably would be a donation to the NRM.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm considering placing an order for Caerphilly Castle. Fond memores of her in South Kensington at the Science Museum ...

Before I do, is there any proven fix for the upward pointing front running plate and buffers on the Castles? This seems to affect many of these models to a greater or lesser extent, meaning it is more than likely an assembly issue.

Any experiential advice appreciated.

Edited by G-BOAF

• RMweb Gold

I dread to thing how that one would turn up judging by recent releases I'm guessing they would proberly go for disc wheels on the front bogie, double chimney, devoid of rivet detail, lining applied in the wrong places number plate vertical and SK would say their is nothing wrong with it. :sarcastic:

That's a bit unfair Bob.Both of my Castles and I have another on order, are just fine.Worth checking before purchases if possible though.

This is helpful. Well I guess there is always the 'return to retailer' option if it doesn't work...

EDIT - coupling hook not installed in factory. However brake pipe is on right hand side, exactly the side with the upward inflection, so that's promising.

Edited by G-BOAF

• 3 months later...