Hornby castle arriving?

cahoon_danny

I voted for Toplights from memory but the question remains 'which would be most likely/common/attractive'?

In photographing some pre-war GWR trains in the next wee while, I think I'll use some old Hornby gangwayed things in GW livery and hope nobody notices shortcomings! The shape looks about right to me. .. if swathed in smoke. I have a King 6029 and a Tintagel Castle to which I have not yet done justice... not to mention 7202 and sundry 2-8-0s.

Is there a cure for Swindon influences?

• RMweb Gold

I voted for Toplights from memory but the question remains 'which would be most likely/common/attractive'?In photographing some pre-war GWR trains in the next wee while, I think I'll use some old Hornby gangwayed things in GW livery and hope nobody notices shortcomings! The shape looks about right to me. .. if swathed in smoke. I have a King 6029 and a Tintagel Castle to which I have not yet done justice... not to mention 7202 and sundry 2-8-0s.Is there a cure for Swindon influences?

No.....even Stanier learned his trade there....and learned it well,to judge from my experience behind 46233 (again) last weekend up Shap and Aisgill.A boyhood dream fulfilled...off topic again,sorry.....drool.drool.

• Like 1

I hope everyone voted for GWR coaches in the recent poll to compliment these beautiful engines.

Hear hear - and lots of people did:

Here's the top of the coaching poll:

316 ... BR Mk1 Brake Second Open (BSO, Diags.183 & 184, built 1955-63)

314 ... BR Travelling Post Office Stowage Brake Van (Mk1 Diag.723 built from 1959) 

299 ... GWR Churchward Toplight Coaches (1907-1922)

251 ... GWR Collett Gangwayed Coaches Bow Ended & Flat Ended (1923-1936)

I voted for Toplights from memory but the question remains 'which would be most likely/common/attractive'?

And Toplights were indeed tops in pre-nationalized coaches in the poll. Just the thing for Caerphilly Castle after it arrives.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2

Here is a version of GWR coaching stock .... looks alright to me especially considering the price for these things these days. That said new carriages to Hornby's best current standards would surely sell ok if priced at under £35 ea.? And you can buy the engine in the pic., or similar, for £45-90 on Ebay and the carriages would be literally pennies.

https://www.facebook.com/brsteamphotos/photos/a.378493222316349.1073741838.203786143120392/382621678570170/?type=1&theater

Cheers,

Rob

Edited by robmcg

Hear hear - and lots of people did:

Here's the top of the coaching poll:

316 ... BR Mk1 Brake Second Open (BSO, Diags.183 & 184, built 1955-63)

314 ... BR Travelling Post Office Stowage Brake Van (Mk1 Diag.723 built from 1959) 

299 ... GWR Churchward Toplight Coaches (1907-1922)

251 ... GWR Collett Gangwayed Coaches Bow Ended & Flat Ended (1923-1936)

And Toplights were indeed tops in pre-nationalized coaches in the poll. Just the thing for Caerphilly Castle after it arrives.

I must say Caerphilly Castle is likely to be a beautiful model and highly sought-after if the paintwork is Hornby's best. Due early Feb next year according to Hornby.com

• RMweb Gold

Would that be a similar tale to the black war time A3 with double chimney and small German Smoke Deflectors?

Ray

That's a case involving amputation of deflectors and 'transplant' of Brassmasters single A3 chimney . The NRM model of course is a representation of a 'soon to be' version .Fair enough....but for authenticity,obviously not.Makes a nice model when it's had cosmetic surgery.Hopefully,4073 won't need anything quite as extreme.

Apart from Hornby's 4073 is in preserved condition with fire iron tunnel and coat of arms logo on tender. It never ran in GWR days in this form. I have one ordered which I will take the knives and drills to it, retro 4073 back to 1923 condition with cab rainstrips and replacement garter crest on tender to look like this

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=4073+caerphilly+castle&safe=vss&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=859&tbm=isch&imgil=pWn_YiJmoBzZcM%3A%3BOCubtFOnoPBRyM%3Bhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.railpixtc.co.uk%2FSteam%2FPreserved-Railways%2FSwindon-Museum&source=iu&pf=m&fir=pWn_YiJmoBzZcM%3A%2COCubtFOnoPBRyM%2C_&usg=__yCiO-Gg30XXk0rzlnxy3YoG2dRc%3D&ved=0CEsQyjc&ei=3ppgVNu7LsznaNqFgoAN#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=H4DqSnvQUZTejM%3A%3BN-c0IAHjykXJYM%3Bhttp%3A%2F%2Fimages-00.delcampe-static.net%2Fimg_large%2Fauction%2F000%2F220%2F781%2F540_001.jpg%3Fv%3D6%3Bhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.delcampe.net%2Fpage%2Fitem%2Fid%2C220781540%2Cvar%2C1980s-Railway-Photo-Card-GWR-4073-Caerphilly-Castle-PADDINGTON-1923-4-6-0-Loco-BBC-Hulton-Repro%2Clanguage%2CE.html%3B1001%3B730

Mike Wiltshire

I just got out my Tintagel, as an exercise to get into the mood, and try out my new camera. Note completely unedited except crop, resize and sharpen.

Penrice Castle is in the mail... Swindonitis is rife..

post-7929-0-57608400-1415644751.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

I must say Caerphilly Castle is likely to be a beautiful model and highly sought-after if the paintwork is Hornby's best. Due early Feb next year according to Hornby.com

Is that Sacarsm?

Hornby doing quality GWR ......... :sarcastichand:

Quite incredable to see 4073 as it was in 1961. It is my understanding it was given a not-just-cosmetic overhaul (or at least put into a condition better than the Star was). Interesting to see how the finish has aged (crazed varnish) through just being on display in relatively climatically stable conditions, except for a while in the shed at Didcot.

Especially given the return of 4079 as a first batch castle, the case for preserving 4073 as an 'as is' example of Swindon output is very strong.

Certainly any 4073 on my layout will be a 'could technically happen but wouldn't' scenario.

There has even been a Swindon invasion of Yorkshire

post-9992-0-57979100-1415728180_thumb.jpg

Now here is one detail for the modern era models. Can you tell what it is yet???????

post-9992-0-03726800-1415728175_thumb.jpg

It is the mounting for the air brake handle. Note the close proximity to the firehole door. When swinging the shovel it is not exactly in the most convenient place, hence all the dents and missing paintwork. I wonder how much coal ends up on the cab floor?

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 3

Well, my Penrice Castle has arrived, now I will get to see if Hornby can still assemble one without warps, bends, loose parts, and other challenges!

Also arrived an Ebay 70000 'Britannia' ...  which to open first?   The dilemmas!

Here is a link to my 5011 'Tintagel Castle', good GWR operating practice, hardly any exhaust at all...  note top lamp bracket in pre-1930 position too.

https://www.facebook.com/brsteamphotos/photos/pcb.383811675117837/383811325117872/?type=1&theater

Here is Penrice Castle, smokebox handles loose in packet, cut-outs in plastic tray insert over dome and chimney, otherwise I think ok. Fall plate in cab set at about 45 degrees. Anyone know any good tricks for offering-up the smokebox handles and pressing-in, without having them fly away into the unknown? Edit. Had a friend with better hands and eyes than me offer it up on the piece of clear tape and it went straight in.   Looks lovely now. 

Photo totally untouched except crop and sharpen.

post-7929-0-98346900-1415834900.jpg

and below a little bit later, smokebox handles in, with slightly brighter natural light, again unedited but for cropping etc interesting to see the Hornby version of Brunswick green, in natural light at normal viewing I think it looks great, but then I never saw the real thing in the 1950s or 60s...

post-7929-0-54887200-1415850172.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

I see that the drain pipe from the front of the vacuum ejector pipe that should follow the contour of the smokebox as it drops to the running plate has been put in wrong, a common fault.  My first batch Wellington is waiting to be exchanged for this issue.

Best regards

I see that the drain pipe from the front of the vacuum ejector pipe that should follow the contour of the smokebox as it drops to the running plate has been put in wrong, a common fault.  My first batch Wellington is waiting to be exchanged for this issue.

Best regards

Is not less trouble to alter it yourself? Replacing with a piece of brass or copper wire is surely quicker than wrapping it all up and taking to the post office.

Just a thought

Mike Wiltshire

Thankyou for that reference, just bought a copy via Amazon, should see it within the month in NZ. I am very aware of all the detail differences between various Castles and having just bought R3118 7023 'Penrice Castle' will be wondering if things like lubricators are all correct for the late BR period. Seems you can't have too many reference photos!Here is a link to my pic of 5068 'Beverston Castle' weathered by TMC and edited a little by me.https://www.facebook.com/brsteamphotos/photos/pcb.381046052061066/381044815394523/?type=1&theater

Hope you find the book useful. Thanks for the photo, it looks great.

Hi Rob

Nice pictures

Here is Penrice Castle,

Photo totally untouched

Like my model the top of the vacuum pipe is left black.  I took the liberty of painting mine red as on all the previous Castles.

Some one will no doubt confirm whether there was a right or wrong.

Regards

Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines