Hornby castle arriving?

cahoon_danny

Thankyou Ray, I am pleased that the model looks straight, small things like bent top lamp bracket, rear sanding pipe, and other minor issues are in my opinion an inevitable part of manufacturing such complex models, although it would be nice if things were always perfect. Presumably the smokebox handle had fallen off in transit. Overall it is very impressive, better in real life than perhaps the camera shows.

To me the disappointment of a poorly-assembled A3 60103 and warped running plates on Wellington had me thinking that maybe it was going to be rare to receive a straight model. REF code for what it's worth, same as Wellington. 

The seller of Penrice Castle, Modelfair was very fast and efficient, unlike their advertising of GWR 2-8-T 7202 in October for which they took my payment and after a 10 day silence and several emails from me to confirm despatch said ' we confirm the order', than after 3 weeks they said they could not supply the model.  But that is off-topic. (still waiting for refund)

Penrice Castle is a great pleasure, the lubricators are nicely done too!

Edited by robmcg

I recently acquired a copy of Portraits of Castles by Bryan Holden an Kenneth Leech. This book is invaluable to anyone who wants to renumber a Castle as there is at least one photo of each member of the class, more when they had been modified, eg. double chimney. There are also sketches of modification and original fittings.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned. I haven't been through all 31 pages of this thread!

Just received this excellent book via Amazon and O'Donohue Books s/h perfect order about £6 and what a fine reference book and browsing too, with a photo of every Castle and excellent essays by a man who fired and drove these lovely machines, as well as mention of Kings and other classes. Intelligent well-written stuff, thankyou unknown warrior.

Now how to make my Hornby Brunswick green (on Penrice, Hornby got it better with early Kings I think) look a little more like the green in many and various photos and paintings I have seen. I have been experimenting with Paintshop Pro 6 software to vary the colour.  Things were simpler when photos were all black-and-white!  :)

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Although not shewing as in stock I'm reliably informed that Hattons have had another delivery of 5075 'Wellington' today.Too late for Christmas delivery now.

My 'Penrice Castle' arrived at Camborne in a Hornby delivery at the end of last week (but is not being committed to the postal system as yet at my specific request) so it does appear Hornby have received and distributed something in time for Christmas (almost).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi guys,

Does the GWR-liveried 'Wellington' make for a simple renumber into the preserved 5051 'Earl Bathhurst' in roughly 'Didcot 2000'-condition please?

I've got some photos, it has the same kind of slab-sided tender (though I've also seen pics with the other type) but wonder if there's anything more major I've missed, please excuse the massive lump of ignorance here!

Many thanks,

James

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys,

Does the GWR-liveried 'Wellington' make for a simple renumber into the preserved 5051 'Earl Bathhurst' in roughly 'Didcot 2000'-condition please?

I've got some photos, it has the same kind of slab-sided tender (though I've also seen pics with the other type) but wonder if there's anything more major I've missed, please excuse the massive lump of ignorance here!

Many thanks,

James

I have another Wellington on order so I have a  similar question. I am not at all knowledgeable about Castle variations.......could anyone suggest possible renames running as delivered out of the red box in 1947/8 ....... in the Chester area is by no means essential but would be icing on the cake

Many thanks and best wishes from a cold but sunny Vancouver

• RMweb Gold

The Hawksworth tender severely limits the choice for the 1947 period with the Hornby Castle.

Oh dear........I hadn't realised that it was that limited.......one assumes Hornby didn't either.........fortunately I edged the layout forward to early 1948 to accommodate these issues ......even relabelled a collet with the very early British Railways logo.........so how about 1948 ?

• RMweb Gold

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&id=5033&type=S&loco=5033

5033 Broughton Castle was allocated to Chester in '48 and had a Hawksworth tender.Whether the Hornby model matches other details I'm not sure but it's a start.

Perfect Rob thank you so much........details apart that ticks all the boxes and some.....when I lived on Merseyside we used to watch Broughton Park play Waterloo....rugby union.......and over here the Broughton archipelago is series of beautiful islands North of Desolation Sound.....by chance on our itinerary next summer

I have a Grange that I renamed "Brockton Grange" using a similar scientific approach!

Now all I want for Xmas is that magic email from Liverpool

Again many thanks....hope you have a great Christmas

• Like 1

Chaps,

I've been tempted to acquire another 'Wellington' for renaming purposes as well - and I think my mind is made, given the absence of a GWR Castle in Hornby's 2015 annoucements...

Castle of this parish posted the following on December 13th last year. I'm sure he won't mind me copying this in below:

I was alerted to this by OTBL and I have sent this list to him via PM but incase it's of interest to others, here we go. As far as the Hawksworth tender in the GWR era goes, the engines I can find (date of fitting in brackets) are 4083 Abbotsbury Castle (1946), 4085 Berkley Castle (1946, notorious as the engine that ran down and killed Churchward!), 4092 Dunraven Castle, 5000 Launceston Castle (1946), 5016 Montgomery Castle (1946), 5022 Wigmore Castle (1946), 5023 Brecon Castle, (1946), 5038 Morlais Castle (1946), 5077 Fairey Battle (1947), 5085 Evesham Abbey (1947) and 5087 Tintern Abbey (1946). There might be others but I'm tired so there we are - best look under the circumstances! The first built with a HW tender was 7008 Swansea Castle but that was completed in 5/48, so its a bit late...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78537-collett-and-hawksworth-4000-gall-tenders/page-2

Given the batch that Wellington was from, I'm tempted by Montgomery Castle I think!

Cheers, 

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire

• RMweb Premium

I have also just purchased Potraits of Castles and also Portraits of Kings. What great reference books. The King book has several views of each loco on a page and sometimes it has a double page spread. Very good books.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

David Geen has all the different variations as supplied with the Mitchell kits and only need mild filing to fit. South East Finecast also supply the different types in their kits and they are available as spares. I used the David Geen ones to alter the box series Star to the later Vauxhall type.

Mike Wiltshire

Silly question but couldn't we sand it down so there is a bit of a curve to the inside cylinder cover?

I assume shape is the only issue.

Edited by OnTheBranchline

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So tempted to buy a third at that price. Alas, if it came with a Collett tender coiffed in the same livery, then I'd probably max-out the overdraft and snap up half a dozen...

CoY

Yes, I thought that too as it's a really good price.Some places are selling it for £30 more.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I thought that too as it's a really good price.Some places are selling it for £30 more.

Hereford Model Centre at same price now.If prices don't fall now that another batch has landed,retailers will struggle to offload them.Both the latest Castles are good but overpriced unrealistically by many retailers & e bay barons.

5075 arrived today from Hattons.  Close inspection does not reveal any real issues, but I have not run her yet.  The lining is crisp, the frames are straight and there are no bits loose in the box.  The front bogie wheels have 10 spokes.

It does have the straighter form of outside steam pipes (see photo on Hattons site), rather than the larger radii steam pipes (shown on the Hornby site). 

I decided on Wellington rather than Caerphilly for 3 reasons:

- I already have 4073, albeit the GMR model which I purchased in 1984
- I could not resist £108 for a new tooled Castle.  The cheapest Caerphilly seems to be around £20 more
- The new Caerphilly seems to be in "as preserved" condition with fireiron tunnel, and I'd prefer in "as built" condition

I am also secretly hoping that once Mr Castle and his esteemed crew have 4079 running again, that Hornby will celebrate with a model of Pendennis Castle --- hopefully in original Garter Crest livery to commemorate its condition in 1925 (when it whipped the Pacifics).
Edited by KGV
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

What are might be livery samples or test production samples of 4073 are on the Hornby website. I must say that (assuming they are not photoshopped), quality is much improved from the previous batch, namely the mould seam on each side of the boiler. And the ski slope of the front running plate also seems fractionally better, although still seems to be present.

This is one model I am looking forward to, bringing back memories of young visits to the Science Museum... Better get an order in!

I must say I'm not a huge fan of the Churchward tender on the castle, i find it detracts from the powerful look of the loco and reduces the bulk, and makes it look older (and more like a Star)... but for the sake of variety and authenticity, I'll have to tollerate :-p

http://files.Hornby.com/360//R3237/R3237_spin%20large/Images/R3237_spin%20large/Lv2/img05.jpg

www.Hornby.com/gwr-4-6-0-caerphilly-castle-castle-class-nrm.html