Hornby castle arriving?

cahoon_danny

Only 18 months from announcement to delivery - these days that's relatively speedy.

I finally received my Schools Class Charterhouse a mere 29 months since I placed an order - fraught with confusion over which model carried which livery. I am delighted with the accuracy in order fulfillment that my mail order provider uses.

I held off ordering Tintagel Castle until I knew what livery it would carry so this time it will only be a few months.

Having whined about lead times, Hornby do seem to have sorted out their supply chain issues as new models are arriving on a regular basis. It will be nice to see Tintagel Castle in stock.

• 2 weeks later...

i went and bought myself one today,but it shorts out can anyone help me please? huh.gif

Hi! Have you tried it with the tender disconnected? Some Hornby shortings come from the loco to tender wiring connections.

I also know that the next answer is a boring nuisance, but as it's brand new and (apparently) bought locally, the advice must surely be 'Take it back!'

Best wishes!

Richard

hi Richard,yes i did try it with the tender disconneceted and it did not work,but i connected it to the tender,lifted the

tender of the track and the loco ran,so i will be taking it back tomorrow.

many thanks

liam

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

hi Richard,yes i did try it with the tender disconneceted and it did not work,but i connected it to the tender,lifted the

tender of the track and the loco ran,so i will be taking it back tomorrow.

many thanks

liam

I don't own a Castle yet but if it's at all like any of the recent Hornby tender models, I'd imagine it's fairly easy to insert

the loco-tender connector the wrong way around and thereby create a short?

I don't own a Castle yet but if it's at all like any of the recent Hornby tender models, I'd imagine it's fairly easy to insert

the loco-tender connector the wrong way around and thereby create a short?

Got my Earl Cairns today thanks to the tip in hints area, £60 bargain!

Its handed so that should be impossible (its also nearly impossible to get back out once connected as the plug when fitted is flush under the tender and you have to pull on the wires..). Fall plate broke off on mine fitting the connection which is basically a little pc motherboard plug.

I'd guess someone in the factory wired the tender backwards for pickups compared to engine. It won't run at all without the connection as the DCC socket is in the tender and the motor connections therefore go via the tender.

One thing I did notice is the fireiron tunnel has a diagonal section in front of the cab on most prototypes I looked at (various batches) and the model is just flat into the cab.

Its also noticeable from how wide this tunnel is where Hornby have made the firebox narrow for 00 frames. They did the same thing with the standard 4 unlike Bachmann who make it the correct width and put cutouts for the wheels under the running plate. Other complaints are the way the pipes under the cab have been done - the brackets would have been better hidden vertically behind the steps and the complete lack of slidebar bracket. Not sure if i'll keep it yet but its certainly not something you could gauge convert without serious compromise due to the narrow firebox. Mind you, I don't know if i'll get my lining as good on the Mitchell kit :?.

Unlike the HST I got the other day (where putting the transit bracket screw back in knackers the motor), on this the keeper plate is lose if the screws aren't put back! Hornby are certainly trying new things with each release..

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else got their 7037 'Swindon' yet? I have, and I must admit im very impressed by the detail. Too scared to run it yet though, in case I take 50 quid in future value off it. :)

Got talking to one of the people in the show at Steam, and it sounds like one of them had input into the configuration chosen.

• RMweb Premium

Have sent a further email to Hornby today to see when we might expect Tintagel Castle. Their last email was dated 6th May and said "in a month" - let's hope it is soon!

• RMweb Gold

Anyone else got their 7037 'Swindon' yet? I have, and I must admit im very impressed by the detail. Too scared to run it yet though, in case I take 50 quid in future value off it. :)

Got talking to one of the people in the show at Steam, and it sounds like one of them had input into the configuration chosen.

Take a photo and post in here! I'm still waiting for mine!

Take a photo and post in here! I'm still waiting for mine!

Ah, why spoil the surprise. :)

Ill see what I can do later. Suffice to say its very good. I thought the name plate was too big, but comparing them to the photograph they got it right. I particularly like the late style British Railways logo on the Collett tender.

• RMweb Premium

Have sent a further email to Hornby today to see when we might expect Tintagel Castle. Their last email was dated 6th May and said "in a month" - let's hope it is soon!

Have received a reply - now due in July!

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, the b&%%!*s haven't been in touch with me yet - I wonder what goes on (or doesn't)?

Here are some photos of it. As I say, ive not seen it run yet so I cant comment on that. I suspect it will run just as well as the other half dozen castles in my collection.:lol:

GEDC0634.jpg

GEDC0633.jpg

GEDC0632.jpg

I would ring them up if they havent got in contact with you. Perhaps they only got a limited batch in. Suffice to say I have sympathy with the staff, apparently the delays were not up to them but due to delays in production. In defence it was well worth the wait IMHO.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here are some photos of it. As I say, ive not seen it run yet so I cant comment on that. I suspect it will run just as well as the other half dozen castles in my collection.:lol:

GEDC0634.jpg

GEDC0633.jpg

GEDC0632.jpg

I would ring them up if they havent got in contact with you. Perhaps they only got a limited batch in. Suffice to say I have sympathy with the staff, apparently the delays were not up to them but due to delays in production. In defence it was well worth the wait IMHO.

Very nice Stuart.Do you get etched nameplates included ?

No, but you get a booklet with it. Only 7 pages long and concise, but it gives a nice potted history of the GWR, the Castle Class and why Pete Waterman thinks its his favourite locomotive. There is also a page on the history of the Steam museum. Nothing substantial but nice all the same, and I gather Pete Waterman may be signing them at some point, I assume at the model show in September. I also very much like the box, it looks very classy which made up for the disappointment with the one for Beverston Castle.

Best of all the certificate says I got number 33 out of of 1000, nice low number that. :)

I can only hope STEAM may consider more limited editions in future. I hope the problems in getting them delivered on time wont discourage them. Personally I would buy a Caerphilly Castle if they ever offered one, how about it guys?:D

• RMweb Gold

No, but you get a booklet with it. Only 7 pages long and concise, but it gives a nice potted history of the GWR, the Castle Class and why Pete Waterman thinks its his favourite locomotive. There is also a page on the history of the Steam museum. Nothing substantial but nice all the same, and I gather Pete Waterman may be signing them at some point, I assume at the model show in September. I also very much like the box, it looks very classy which made up for the disappointment with the one for Beverston Castle.

Best of all the certificate says I got number 33 out of of 1000, nice low number that. :)

I can only hope STEAM may consider more limited editions in future. I hope the problems in getting them delivered on time wont discourage them. Personally I would buy a Caerphilly Castle if they ever offered one, how about it guys?:D

Thanks Stuart.My only disappointment is the choice of livery especially in GW 175 year.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Stuart.My only disappointment is the choice of livery especially in GW 175 year.

Not too sure I understand. Being the very last castle to leave Swindon Works, it would have only worn BR late crest...

I think he means he would have prefered a GWR locomotive, and I can see his point. Caerphilly or Pendennis in early livery might have been a more apt choice considering the aniversary. Or even Clun considering the livery BR made her wear.:)

That said, its nice to have THE last Castle ever made, and its a good name. Reportedly the original was quite good machine too. Im not surprised, it was nearly new when they scrapped it.<_<

My only disappointment is the choice of livery especially in GW 175 year.

I tend to agree. By my count there have been seven new Castle models announced. Only one of them is in GWR livery (Tintagel Castle) and that was listed in the 2009 catalogue.

For 2010 (GW 175), very little is actually available in a GWR livery and besides No. 5011 (now 18 months since the initial announcement) no Castles.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I tend to agree. By my count there have been seven new Castle models announced. Only one of them is in GWR livery (Tintagel Castle) and that was listed in the 2009 catalogue.

For 2010 (GW 175), very little is actually available in a GWR livery and besides No. 5011 (now 18 months since the initial announcement) no Castles.

Yes thats what I meant.Sorry for the confusion over 'Swindon' as I realise it only wore a BR livery.

• RMweb Premium

Personally I think Hornby missed a trick with GW175, but let's not go down that road again!

Looking forward to receiving Tintagel Castle and still can not decide on what name it is going to be.

• Like 1

Well they DID bring out a new Castle, and the new 28xx and 38xx are of course welcome. As far as GWR rather than just Swindon items though, you have a point.

Personally I think the NRM are the ones who really missed out. I pointed out on the Railuk forums that the NRM would have been better advised to have got Evening Star steaming for its 50th Birthday and the GWR175, rather than waste all that money on Flying Scotsman. Darned near caused a riot.:lol:

Be interesting to see how the lined livery looks on Tintagel. I bought the Bachmann Sketty Hall and though that it looked a bit garish compared to the BR look.

• Like 1