Hornby castle arriving?

cahoon_danny

• RMweb Gold

I agree, it looks really good. But I think I'll splash out the extra cash for the Swindon Limited Edition 7037 since at RRP the difference isn't huge. From the picture on the back cover of the Hornby 2010 catalogue, it's basically the same speck with the exception of having a single chimney. However accurate it is - and I'm no expert - I really don't like the look of a double chimney on the Castles.

Of course if Tintagel Castle appears in the shops before the Swindon LE is released, then maybe that will get my money instead...

See my previous post about 'Swindon' - it explains the finish it will have (i.e. in 'as withdrawn' mechanical condition/livery - but clean of course ;) ) and now due in April they say.

• RMweb Premium

See my previous post about 'Swindon' - it explains the finish it will have (i.e. in 'as withdrawn' mechanical condition/livery - but clean of course ;) ) and now due in April they say.

Thanks - and is consistent with the Hornby catalogue picture, which shows a Collett tender. I hope so - I wouldn't want a Hawksworth tender.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks - and is consistent with the Hornby catalogue picture, which shows a Collett tender. I hope so - I wouldn't want a Hawksworth tender.

Swindon Museum couldn't tell me which tender it will have - it ran at various times with either type in its final mechanical condition (as far as I can ascertain from photos).

• RMweb Premium

Swindon Museum couldn't tell me which tender it will have - it ran at various times with either type in its final mechanical condition (as far as I can ascertain from photos).

Spoken to a friend who has pre-ordered one. They are sending out a "picture" of the loco with confirmation of the order - this picture looks like the 2010 catalogue images of the Castles so presumably has been produced by Hornby based on a pre-production model. This shows a Collett tender.

• RMweb Premium

Ince Castle is the perfect donor for my Bristol Castle with it lubricator in front of the steam pipe, have just got my parts for Davis & Metcalfe lubricating system which some of the Castles including Bristol Castle carried, my old Bristol Castle will probably become 'Spitfire'

Ince Castle is the perfect donor for my Bristol Castle with it lubricator in front of the steam pipe, have just got my parts for Davis & Metcalfe lubricating system which some of the Castles including Bristol Castle carried, my old Bristol Castle will probably become 'Spitfire'

The pics of 'Ince Castle' on the ehattons.com site show what looks like a rather 'large' double chimney, and I'm hoping it's just the angle or the light. It's not so obvious on the Rails of S site. Perhaps it's just me. My earlier Hornby 5-pole double chimney 'Bristol Castle' has an excellent 'look' especially with some weathering around the copper.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

The pics of 'Ince Castle' on the ehattons.com site show what looks like a rather 'large' double chimney, and I'm hoping it's just the angle or the light. It's not so obvious on the Rails of S site. Perhaps it's just me. My earlier Hornby 5-pole double chimney 'Bristol Castle' has an excellent 'look' especially with some weathering around the copper.

Rob

It's probably down to the angle of view Rob - it certainly looks odd but the side view is spot on, and those double-chimneys on GW 4-6-0s did look very big.

I bought a model of Ince Castle yesterday and I gotta say its the dogs dangly bits! Detail is superb, the front numberplate looks more like the real thing than the previous Castle, all the fine detail parts looks good and print quality of lining crests etc is a joy to behold - shame I may be covering the names/number up with Clun Castle plates. The running quality is the best I have ever seen especially after leaving it to run in for 1hour. Now where did I put those Choc/cream mark 1's?

It's probably down to the angle of view Rob - it certainly looks odd but the side view is spot on, and those double-chimneys on GW 4-6-0s did look very big.

I'm sure you are right. I'm trying to find reasons to save my money for a single chimney version! <g>

• RMweb Gold

Ince Castle arrived on my doorstep today smile.gif

Looks just as impressive as Earl Cairns. I think the double chimney is the best version yet to adorn a RTR ex GWR engine. Still not sure about the lubricator though. The pipework looks just a bit too chunky to me.

post-6916-12682218485_thumb.jpg

post-6916-126822188062_thumb.jpg

post-6916-126822189753_thumb.jpg

post-6916-126822191385_thumb.jpg

I think she will be ideal for renumbering into Isambard Kingdom Brunel in 1960 contition - unless someone here knows of a reason not.

It looks like those splasher tops are black, or is it down to shadow? Some ex-GWR locos in BR lined green loco did have black top splashers and some green, but the official line was green tops. It's down to good colour photos in the end to tell which has and which hasn't. I've always painted them green to be on the safe side.

• RMweb Gold

Ince Castle arrived on my doorstep today smile.gif

Looks just as impressive as Earl Cairns. I think the double chimney is the best version yet to adorn a RTR ex GWR engine. Still not sure about the lubricator though. The pipework looks just a bit too chunky to me.

post-6916-12682218485_thumb.jpg

post-6916-126822188062_thumb.jpg

post-6916-126822189753_thumb.jpg

post-6916-126822191385_thumb.jpg

I think she will be ideal for renumbering into Isambard Kingdom Brunel in 1960 contition - unless someone here knows of a reason not.

You'll have to change the name and number of course ;) - but otherwise it looks like an exact match although I can't find a pic to check the speedo drive so you ought to check that out. Even the step under the smokebox (over the inside cylinder casing) is correct for 5069 with double chimney :blink:

The lubricator looks ok to me except for the colour of the pipes (I'm pretty sure they were copper, and in any case they quickly got dirty on most locos) but I do wonder about the pipes which come out horizontally near the footplate edge - they look to be wrong (and don't show on a good detail pic of 5069).

I got my Chistmas present Earl Cairns out of the box to give it its first run yesterday - we've moved, and most railway stuff is boxed-up with the books at the moment, but I now have a small Bachmann-based test track available.

It is a fabulous model, but it will not stay on the track when going forwards. The front driven axle is a fraction of a mm above the others so the loco rocks up and down. this means the front drivers climb the rails at some joints on curves. In reverse, it is the best-running engine in my fleet, but forwards is no good at all!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do please? My wife bought the loco an exhibition to which I dragged her, and I don't know who it's from. Should I send it back to Hornby, or is it likely that there is something in the axle slot obstructing things? I worry about filing the centre slot deeper because that is the driven axle and I suspect the gear meshing is very delicate, as it is on most modern Hornby engines.

Many thanks,

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone have some pictures of the front ends of 7034 and 5068? Would be a big help, as I'm still deciding which one to save

up for.

Do you mean the models or the real thing MB.I have photos of both prototypes.

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone have some pictures of the front ends of 7034 and 5068? Would be a big help, as I'm still deciding which one to save

up for.

In what year/condition? Once they were fitted with a double chimney they were probably very similar but when single chimney they had different size superheaters and thus different size (and number of) oil pipe covers between the boiler and smokebox although, I think, otherwise generally similar.

In what year/condition? Once they were fitted with a double chimney they were probably very similar but when single chimney they had different size superheaters and thus different size (and number of) oil pipe covers between the boiler and smokebox although, I think, otherwise generally similar.

I meant the models, unfortunately I forgot to mention it in the first place!

I got my Chistmas present Earl Cairns out of the box to give it its first run yesterday - we've moved, and most railway stuff is boxed-up with the books at the moment, but I now have a small Bachmann-based test track available.

It is a fabulous model, but it will not stay on the track when going forwards. The front driven axle is a fraction of a mm above the others so the loco rocks up and down. this means the front drivers climb the rails at some joints on curves. In reverse, it is the best-running engine in my fleet, but forwards is no good at all!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do please? My wife bought the loco an exhibition to which I dragged her, and I don't know who it's from. Should I send it back to Hornby, or is it likely that there is something in the axle slot obstructing things? I worry about filing the centre slot deeper because that is the driven axle and I suspect the gear meshing is very delicate, as it is on most modern Hornby engines.

Many thanks,

Paul

My 'Earl Cairns' bought early Jan 2010 had very poor adhesion, the cause was the angle bracket which screws to the frame in front of the drivers and carries the front bogie, ...when tightened it sets the front bogie too 'low' and the front drivers carry no weight. It needs to be re-bent or at least loosened. You can test adhesion with front bogie removed before embarking on bending! <g> In my case I filed the frame slightly too, at the point where the angle-bracket bogie-mounting plate bears on the frame. Quite annoying. I had thought the fault might be a 'one off' but it appears not.

It was Simon Kohler's suggestion, from his technicians at Hornby, to test adhesion with from bogie removed. I don't have tools to accurately bend the angle plate so I have set mine slightly loose with the aformentioned filing on the engine frames at the rebate between the bogie wheels, and a little glue on the threads of the retaining screw, and it runs OK.

I was surprised that nodoby else had ever mentioned this issue... a bit like the T9, but a different cure.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

up for.

I don't have 5068 but here's 7034:

post-6916-126843437524_thumb.jpg