Hornby castle arriving?

cahoon_danny

• RMweb Premium

Nice looking loco (Swindon), however the lubricator pipes look a bit on the large side, I know one should not be pedantic especially as the overall loco is superb. I have just converted my 'Bristol Castle' (The last of the ex Airfix tooling with the 5 pole motor) into 'Spitfire'. This model did not have a lubricator either in front or behind the steam pipe. The lubricator I bought is a very nice representation with fine pipework.

My opinion and it is only mine before the moderators nab me is that all of the manufacturers and the NRM are missing out on GWR 175, I know Hornby have the 28XX coming out but it would have been made anyway.

But thats another subject.

Photos like that do make one question whether there is now any point to having the Malcolm Mitchell "Castle" kit, when Hornby have rendered such a good "as-near-as-dammit" without the inside motion (and doubtless someone will find a way of putting that in)....

Photos like that do make one question whether there is now any point to having the Malcolm Mitchell "Castle" kit, when Hornby have rendered such a good "as-near-as-dammit" without the inside motion (and doubtless someone will find a way of putting that in)....

It is compromised for 00 though i'm not sure if the firebox is compromised for a big motor ala the Royal Scots (I was looking at one on Monday that had had an Airfix firebox fitted to it instead!). You'd still want the Mitchell chassis anyway and with the much more scale wheels they've fitted to this new one its inevitable the motion bracket disappeared. I'll still be building mine anyway as it was 1/2 price with the Ultrascales at S4 North!

....I'll still be building mine anyway as it was 1/2 price with the Ultrascales at S4 North!

What a steal cool.gif

I had a similar experience some years ago at Scalefour when a Finney 28xx, with tender and all Ultrascales came up secondhand for very little. I'd bought it before I'd even had time to blink.

• RMweb Premium

........Be interesting to see how the lined livery looks on Tintagel. I bought the Bachmann Sketty Hall and though that it looked a bit garish compared to the BR look.

Yes, I agree, think it is a bit heavy handed - maybe once the layout is closer to completion I might repaint it!

• RMweb Premium

........Be interesting to see how the lined livery looks on Tintagel. I bought the Bachmann Sketty Hall and though that it looked a bit garish compared to the BR look.

Yes, I agree, think it is a bit heavy handed - maybe once the layout is closer to completion I might repaint it!

Well I ran Swindon up today, and no surprise it ran as well as the other new Hornby Castles. A couple of years ago I bought Pendennis Castle, and what a contrast the new motors are with that! Even well oiled it sounded like an old washing machine. Runs well mind, just noisy. Ive found that so far with all the new castles ive bought, they are all very quite and smooth runners. I think Swindon so far is the smoothest of the lot.

• RMweb Gold

Mine was ordered this January! - I am sure it will be worth the wait, but will 1 be enough !!! - At least the layout will be ready.....

I 'phoned Swindon today to see what is afoot. Apparently they have received, and distributed, an initial supply of 100 'Castles' which came in by airfreight. There are a further 500 enroute by sea and expected Margate in mid-July so I wonder if there will be any other 'Castles' in the same tin box?

'Steam' will advise all us lucky recipients in strict order (of date our order was placed/deposit paid) when 'our' loco is available and they want the balance paid. The numbered certificates have apparently been included in random order and bore no relationship at all to the way the locos were unpacked/which delivery number boxes they were in; one of the very first ones out, to a member of museum staff, was No.27 while his colleague, who had the next one from the same box, received No.66.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have just received an email from Hornby after enquiring about a delivery date for Tintagel castle. It is now expected in........ October!!!

I also asked about dates for the 28xx and 61xx but these did not get replies.

Plus, I asked why the Castle has been delayed so long, but again there was no comment on that question.

All very frustrating - at least we now know why the Castle was not included in the July newsletter!!!!

I have just received an email from Hornby after enquiring about a delivery date for Tintagel castle. It is now expected in........ October!!!

Plus, I asked why the Castle has been delayed so long, but again there was no comment on that question.

That really doesn't square with the following from MREmag on July 12 of this year:

Missing 'Castle'

I too have had Tintagel Castle on order since Jan 2009, an e-mail to Hornby two weeks ago, resulted in the reply (Hang on till July) I had hoped it was July 2010.

Interesting though that we have had 3 versions of the new castle all in various BR guises. Does this mean there are three times more BR era modellers than for the big four?

Alan Tewson

The following message was received on 2nd July - Ed.

Just to let you know that Tintagel Castle will be with us next week and in the shops shortly after that.

Kindest regards

Simon

One wonders if Hornby are again having supply chain problems with Sanda Kan.

• RMweb Premium

This however is the email received this week:

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 10:35:41 +0000

Dear Mr. Ball,

Thank you for your email.

The Tintagel Castle Class is due to arrive here in October.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any further queries you may have in the future.

Kind regards

Customer Care

[removed for brevity]

Neal,

I didn't doubt you for a second. I was attempting to point out the paradox implied by the two datapoints.

Let's hope it will actually arrive in October!

As an aside I'm impressed that you actually get responses from customercare@Hornby.com (other than the confirmation email, mine have disappeared into the ether).

• RMweb Gold

I have a Swindon on order from STEAM but have not heard anything yet. I was fairly late in placing my order so am probably towards the back of the queue.

According to my last conversation with them they were expecting the bulk of their order 'during July' (with an 'I shouldn't really tell you this but..' date of 15 July at Hornby).

My receipt from 'Steam' is dated 21 October last, and I haven't heard anything this month so far but I was assured by them that when they do get the locos customers will be advised in date order of deposit paid.

Watch this space...........

Well the only consolation I can give to the ones waiting for Swindon is that its an exceptional model and well worth the wait. Now all I need is a garden layout so I can thrash the guts out of it. :)

Does anyone get the impression the popularity of the Castle has taken Hornby by surprise? I wonder how easy they will find it to get Great Western out by the end of they year.

5011 'Tintagel Castle' will see the the introduction of curved side inside cylinder casing, although continuing with straight frames (4093-5012). Built in July 1927, this loco could at last carry full Great Western on the tender, unlike previous Castles.

• Like 1

Guest 838rapid

I recieved a phone call yesterday From Steam Museum.

The money has been taken from my bank account as expected.

Hope to see the loco soon.

Pictures to follow

• RMweb Gold

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 10:35:41 +0000

Dear Mr. Ball,

Thank you for your email.

The Tintagel Castle Class is due to arrive here in October.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any further queries you may have in the future.

Kind regards

Customer Care

Neal.Just back from a holiday in the West Country and in the two model shops I visited both said it had been put back to October/November.No reason why as yet.It makes you laugh.

• Like 1