Severn Valley Railway

steve fay

• RMweb Premium

Paid a brief visit to Bewdley to see the efforts one of the guys I am doing my GWR 813 Footplate Experience with. She is now fully polished and looks stunning... just can't believe it has come around so quick!!

38260615856_c74e147df5_b.jpg

Hope you enjoyed your day, and adding 813 to your model collection

• Like 1

Bear in mind that in around 40 years time (if not less), Voyagers, Classes 68 and 70 may well be represented in the Engine House !

I have visited several times and find it a clean, warm and welcoming place in which to look at stock not currently in service; It is a great achievement by the SVR to have such a stock shed.

As a photographer who now only does video I have to agree with this view.

When, in 2006, I decided to eschew stills and only do movies I took a look at the offerings on YouTube and decided that I had to do better. I looked a lot more at BBC2 & 4 to work out what I needed to do in the way of technicals.

Firstly get a tripod with a fluid head. A heavy tripod is best but they can be a hassle to carry around.

Next learn how to pan. I took my camera on to Pinner Road and practiced on the traffic passing up and down and taught myself how to pan and zoom smoothly like a professional; it can be done. Don't zoom to much (its disconcerting for the viewer) and try to edit the zooming out if you can.

Learn to use an editing suite. I use Pinnacle but there are others which are every bit as good.

It works but it takes time and practice and don't be afraid to leave footage on the cutting room floor. If it isn't good enough bin it!

This is one of mine

. I now longer post on YouTube because Google withdrew my login in a dispute over invasive ccokies.

More recently, at the age of 73, I've decided to abandon the tripod it's just too heavy to carry around and it tends to get in the way of others. I now use a home-made shoulder pod.

Regards

I agree with you. But the UK is the home of preserved railway and having a heaving tripod to carry round wouldn't worry me but if it could fit in the suitcase I may get charged for excess heavy baggage. If I didn't put it in the suitcase then it would be one of two pieces of carry on luggage. You Brits are so lucky in having so many preserved railways in a small space. For those of us overseas we aren't so lucky and so we often have to travel light. After the experience of traveling with my cheap plastic tripod, on my next visit I'll leave it at home as it's just something else that has to be lugged around.

Many on YouTube could do with learning to use an editing suite. So many videos are taken with phones and if you lie on your left or right hand side you can easily watch them. I can still get down but it's harder getting up. 

Can I just point out that if you spent your day on the SVR with a Rover ticket then you do not have to pay for the Engine House, it is included in the price of your travel ticket.

I was aware of that but I didn't go to the Engine House on the day I had my dog (Rover) ticket.  I was concentrating on the steam action and chatting. 

Paid a brief visit to Bewdley to see the efforts one of the guys I am doing my GWR 813 Footplate Experience with. She is now fully polished and looks stunning... just can't believe it has come around so quick!!

38260615856_c74e147df5_b.jpg

I first saw this loco on my first ever visit to the SVR in 2000. On the particular day I visited it was half painted and lettered. But it was in service as it hauled our train from Bridgenorth to Kidderminster. At that time the SVR was having problems with Russian coal. It was burning way too hot and the heat from the coal distorted a number of fireboxes. Still I have fond memories of this loco and the other three in service on the day I visited. They were 2-8-0 48773, 0-6-0PT 7714 and BR 2-6-4T 80079. I later found out that the weather on the day I visited was a typical English day. A heavy mist with light showers. In those days 2-10-0 "Gordon" resided at Arley.    

Well it's hard to believe it's nearly been a week since I did my Private Footplate Experience with GWR 813. It was one of the best things I have ever done and a very unique way of signing off my 20s... All went well and she looked excellent on the GWR Saloons 9103 and 9055 along with the Toplight 3930.

24523151018_d68ddae30f_b.jpg

24523154038_db0a0d4f27_b.jpg

24523156468_86b9fee81f_b.jpg

38363535522_e0ac28c059_b.jpg

26618939049_53da921636_b.jpg

37680459464_13562448d4_b.jpg

26618948479_518efda970_b.jpg

26618952109_7e072d8707_b.jpg

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 8

Well it's hard to believe it's nearly been a week since I did my Private Footplate Experience with GWR 813. It was one of the best things I have ever done and a very unique way of signing off my 20s... All went well and she looked excellent on the GWR Saloons 9103 and 9055 along with the Toplight 3930.

24523151018_d68ddae30f_b.jpg

24523154038_db0a0d4f27_b.jpg

24523156468_86b9fee81f_b.jpg

38363535522_e0ac28c059_b.jpg

26618939049_53da921636_b.jpg

37680459464_13562448d4_b.jpg

26618948479_518efda970_b.jpg

26618952109_7e072d8707_b.jpg

I just can't see the fascination with this locomotive. To my eye, it's a monstrosity!

Davey

As a photographer who now only does video I have to agree with this view.

When, in 2006, I decided to eschew stills and only do movies I took a look at the offerings on YouTube and decided that I had to do better. I looked a lot more at BBC2 & 4 to work out what I needed to do in the way of technicals.

Firstly get a tripod with a fluid head. A heavy tripod is best but they can be a hassle to carry around.

Next learn how to pan. I took my camera on to Pinner Road and practiced on the traffic passing up and down and taught myself how to pan and zoom smoothly like a professional; it can be done. Don't zoom to much (its disconcerting for the viewer) and try to edit the zooming out if you can.

Learn to use an editing suite. I use Pinnacle but there are others which are every bit as good.

It works but it takes time and practice and don't be afraid to leave footage on the cutting room floor. If it isn't good enough bin it!

This is one of mine

. I now longer post on YouTube because Google withdrew my login in a dispute over invasive ccokies.

More recently, at the age of 73, I've decided to abandon the tripod it's just too heavy to carry around and it tends to get in the way of others. I now use a home-made shoulder pod.

I did cine for a time using a borrowed camera and it only had a 'standard' lens that approximated to the human eye. The human eye instinctively follows the action, but try telling that to today's digital video 'actionman'.  The Charter trains vids displaying unimaginative run pasts are plain boring.  I did video8 and Hi8  from 1989 to 1997, bought a JVC editing suite and made 'Rails to North Wales' videos. They brought in quite an addition to my normal income. You have got the right idea using a fluid head tripod and panning round. These tripods are heavy and thinking back I carried mine to some very funny places to get views of trains no one else had bothered with. I also got shake-free video footage without a tripod with a partially extended monopod attached to the video camcorder but not touching the ground. The monopod stops camera shake and one is free to pan round.

I do understand why it is not always possible to pan round. Stuck in a crowd for instance or when taking a still shot as well as video. I managed both sometimes but it took some planning and slight of hand!  

I just can't see the fascination with this locomotive. To my eye, it's a monstrosity!

Davey

It's pretending to be GWR, when it's not really. That safety valve cover on top of the dome is just silly.

Not that I'm suggesting the SVR are the root of the 'deception', that was the GWR itself.

Did it keep the copper capped chimney and safety valve cover in NCB service?

It's pretending to be GWR, when it's not really. That safety valve cover on top of the dome is just silly.

Not that I'm suggesting the SVR are the root of the 'deception', that was the GWR itself.

Did it keep the copper capped chimney and safety valve cover in NCB service?

Shortly after going into colliery duties...

813B.jpg

Edited by Garethp8873

I'll also add, had GWR 813 not been preserved 50 years ago this weekend, many of the diverse and also unique wagons the Fund has been able to collect (ranging from the 1890s to the 1940s) may not have been preserved.

The collection that the GWR 813 Fund has been able to put together is one of the largest collections of GWR wagons owned by one organisation...

5494865582_1623106796_b.jpg

34151582330_d02dc69fe4_b.jpg

6916487317_87cff661f3_b.jpg

33726331673_62d0241ccd_b.jpg

34376188742_dc68e6672e_b.jpg

37285355665_7c2c972352_b.jpg

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 12

GWR 80982 is a four wheeled Tool Van built in 1913 to Diagram CC7. Currently used by the SVR Wagon Department as an office and break room so to speak.

Thank you! I really must get down to the SVR more often - I’m only about 10 miles away....,.
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

For those who are visiting Warley this weekend we will be selling the models of two of our late volunteers from Bridgnorth with all profits going to the Charitable Trust. Mike liked buying new engines (in 4mm) and by the time he died had amassed quite a collection, mainly over the last 8 years or so. When I agreed to be his executor he did not anywhere near as much, he is probably having a good laugh at the moment. I feel it wrong to post a list, but A3 versions of the list will be on our stand this weekend.

For those who are visiting Warley this weekend we will be selling the models of two of our late volunteers from Bridgnorth with all profits going to the Charitable Trust. Mike liked buying new engines (in 4mm) and by the time he died had amassed quite a collection, mainly over the last 8 years or so. When I agreed to be his executor he did not anywhere near as much, he is probably having a good laugh at the moment. I feel it wrong to post a list, but A3 versions of the list will be on our stand this weekend.

Looking forward to the show and be good to see everyone on the SVR, wrap up warmly this weekend....

Regards as always....

Bob

• Like 1

If you visited us at Warley today and purchased goods, many thanks, you are helping the Charitable Trust. If you are visiting tomorrow we still have lots of engines and some coaches left. Come along and say hello.

Hi.....

I know that I may be biased...but 1450 looked lovely and the SVR stand seemed very busy.....it was a pleasure to to be able to support the Charitable Trust  through the sale of Mike's collection....

Regards as always,,,,

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Santa had to remain in his grotto today, safely tucked away in the warmth....as we couldn't get to assist him due to it being too snowy and unsafe for us and our visitors to travel to Arley to see him, added to this fact a tree was down across the line and we suffered a power outage.....we as volunteers received notice of suspended services this morning at 7am......so hope to see you next weekend Santa...

Regards

Bob

• RMweb Premium

The decision was not taken lightly, but in a conference call this morning at 7am it was felt to be the safest option for volunteers trying to get to the railway and our passengers. Certainly writing from Bridgnorth it has snowed all day and the roads are very poor. Lots of the roads have been blocked or unsafe. It is very rare that trains are cancelled. I can't remember since being involved at Arley back in 1990 us cancelling a day. The final straw being the power being out at Arley.

Thanks were also given to the volunteers who had been hard at work since 5am getting things ready.  

• Like 1

Hi...

Y

The decision was not taken lightly, but in a conference call this morning at 7am it was felt to be the safest option for volunteers trying to get to the railway and our passengers. Certainly writing from Bridgnorth it has snowed all day and the roads are very poor. Lots of the roads have been blocked or unsafe. It is very rare that trains are cancelled. I can't remember since being involved at Arley back in 1990 us cancelling a day. The final straw being the power being out at Arley.

Thanks were also given to the volunteers who had been hard at work since 5am getting things ready.  

Yep totally agree....it was the only decision that could have been taken in the light of circumstances.....the only priority being everyone's safety at heart.....well done to all....

Regards as always...

Bob

Santa had to remain in his grotto today, safely tucked away in the warmth....as we couldn't get to assist him due to it being too snowy and unsafe for us and our visitors to travel to Arley to see him, added to this fact a tree was down across the line and we suffered a power outage.....we as volunteers received notice of suspended services this morning at 7am......so hope to see you next weekend Santa...

Regards

Bob

Whilst I do want the railway to be running when I'm there next weekend I am hoping that some of the snow will stay, as I think I've yet to do a shift in any of the departments I work in when there's snow about. Would make for some nice photos at Bewdley with the Toplights or Hawksworth set too. ;)