The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

Donw, Those kind words are appreciated and I'm glad you (and others) have 'liked' the photos and there I must say I like them too. Hintock certainly looks well in them.

I'm fortunate to be still around to enjoy the hobby though I don't have the patience with fiddly things I once had and my fingers seem clumsier than they were. All that apart I still get pleasure from the creative aspect both in the physical and intellectual aspects of it. There Peter Denny got it right, as he did so many other things when he wrote

"...when more strenuous pursuits become impossible, (i'd love to be up hiking in the mountains with my sons, for instance) the gentle art of model railways can provide that interest which is an essential ingredient for a happy and contented retirement."

So very true.

Good wishes to you, the management and all other members of this model railway forum

Andy, thanks, both for your good wishes and yes, I like the archive photo you found.

Those kind of images are very evocative and also it's an excellent example of your photographic skills.

Maybe others will turn up from time to time? I would hope so.

Hintock Parish Council have been going through their archives again. They apologise for the poor quality but due to a leak in the roof of the church storage room some of the pictures have been damaged. They hope to get them professionally restored when funds are available and the roof has been repaired.

post-8259-0-16872400-1409311728_thumb.jpg

Fast Forward to the early 1950's of early colour photography and British Railways when locos and stock had not been repainted and we have a scene that has changed little, if at all from the archive photos of yore.

The pace of change is slow in Dorset-even slower on the Hintock Branch-it's still set firmly in the 1930's.

post-3088-0-85055100-1409402243_thumb.jpg

Doolish, welcome to RMweb and whoever you are, that is a pleasant surprise. It's getting on for fifty years now. Maybe if you pm'd me with something about yourself I can remember you under your proper name?

I didn't let anybody operate!

It must have been as you said in the early 1970's (I left Preston in 1974) and probably one of the first times that Little Hintock was exhibited. It was an excellent small layout and I'm flattered you enjoyed the occasion. Hintock has come on a bit since then as you have seen. I enjoyed the Blackburn shows as I did those at Accrington.  Have you seen the posts and pictures of LH earlier in this thread?

All good wishes and thanks for taking me back to those years. A lot of water under the bridge since then.

Doolish, welcome to RMweb and whoever you are, that is a pleasant surprise. It's getting on for fifty years now. Maybe if you pm'd me with something about yourself I can remember you under your proper name?

I didn't let anybody operate!

It must have been as you said in the early 1970's (I left Preston in 1974) and probably one of the first times that Little Hintock was exhibited. It was an excellent small layout and I'm flattered you enjoyed the occasion. Hintock has come on a bit since then as you have seen. I enjoyed the Blackburn shows as I did those at Accrington.  Have you seen the posts and pictures of LH earlier in this thread?

All good wishes and thanks for taking me back to those years. A lot of water under the bridge since then.

my name is Dougie Bromley, but my nickname back then was Mouse (due to being vertically challenged), I do remember being behind the layout maybe just observing, it's along time back now

Douglas I cannot say I recall the name or yourself but, it was rather a long time ago. And Blackburn is now a long ways away. Never matter I trust you make the most of your membership of this Forum and will tell us of your interests and of any layout you possess. Also if you need any help or advice-there's always someone who has an answer.

I hope too you enjoy the current version of Hintock, it provides me with a lot of fun and interest as it does happily, I think, for many. Here are a couple of images that you, and others, might like to look at.  

post-3088-0-04562700-1409933780_thumb.jpg

Here shown are the through coaches for Birkenhead (Woodside) via Bristol, Wolverhampton, Granby and Chester leaving Hintock at 09.13 am and running out past Sheepcroft Yard. They will be attached to a Bristol bound train from Weymouth at Hintock Junction. It's a slow journey with connections en route, but a lovely run (with RC from Bristol) and will reach Merseyside early evening.

post-3088-0-69369300-1409933802_thumb.jpg

Edited to add the "RC"; one of the joys of rail travel in the 1930's

Thanks Andy, it's nice to know one is appreciated.

The story line adds so much for me, and certainly you, as trains didn't just run will nilly. They ran with purpose. If we don't replicate that what have we got?

And as you will note I added the "RC".

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Lovely, John. This thread is so nice to dip into and, speaking candidly as a non GWR modeller, it extols the virtues of modelling the Great Western in all it finery.

A wonderful feeling of period charm.....As comforting as an Ealing film......

Long may it continue.

Rob.

Are you still planning an extension John?

Incidentally, read your account in Railway Modeller from last year the other day (forgot I had it!) - the plan in there says the layout is 13 feet long: your plan here on the forum (page 1 or 2) says 10' 6" - which is correct?

Steve

Steve, the extension is built but I won't say anything more because in the December RM there is planned to be an article about it. I like it, it works well and adds a whole new dimension to Hintock.

My post yesterday that went missing was by co-incidence a track plan, it is attached and shows the correct dimensions. I thought it would be of interest as I knew the first was buried somewhere way back.

post-3088-0-54796500-1410987969_thumb.jpg

I added the photos that did appear as Andy P has remarked no post is complete without pictures.

What I particularly like about the two are how they demonstrate ordinary out-of-the-box items from Bachmann  and Hornby can, with a little bit of effort, be made individual and more realistic.

• 2 weeks later...

After a pleasant day's drive through the Rocky Mountains, amidst which we live,  enjoying the spectacular Fall colours mainly American oak and Aspen (under a cloudless clear blue sky and a temperature in the top 80'sF) I've spent a short while browsing old images-in complete contrast-of Hintock.

And having a few moments before G+T time and an evening meal thought I might share them.

post-3088-0-27394000-1411687743_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-88389200-1411687779_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-11991000-1411687828_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-11562600-1411687889_thumb.jpg

They are all, I think, self explanatory. If not, please ask.

(Edited later to add some detail; it remains about 75F and I'm still in shorts and a short  sleeve shirt.)

Lovely pics again John, and thanks for re publishing the track plan, I often flick from pics on pages lake today and back to page 1 where most track plans seem to be to get a better idea of layouts finer points.

This is also another reason I prefer paper mags over digital I can hold open the page with the plan on whilst looking at pics on another page.

Thanks again John, BTW sunny but quite cold here in Blighty this morning.

Operation is the name of the game on Hintock and the staging yard is from where the trains operated  originate. As I shall hope to demonstrate over time.

Take the loco and vehicles in road three (from the top) for instancee:-

post-3088-0-62399800-1412029890_thumb.jpg

A first example is this,

post-3088-0-60609100-1412030069_thumb.jpg

The local passenger service stopping at all stations between Hintock and Hintock Junction. It can appear in various guises at different times of the day , for school children, workmen, or with a connection at the Junction on market days in either Dorchester or Yeovil.

It is things like this  that bring a model railway to life, trains run with a purpose and not in some random fashion. Okay, this doesn't suit all-but it does I suggest bring more satisfaction to building and enjoying one's creation.

More to follow.

Archived