The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifDSCN2954-2.jpg

It's clear to me that monochrome does not suit Hintock at all-so this is an example of what suits it best- a 14XX in  colour.

Whilst I love the colour images, John, the monochrome images take me back to the Railway Modeller of the 70's and 80's. A lovely time for me as I was just getting started in model railways then and I avidly devoured the new copy of the mag every month.

It has been said before but this is a truly lovely layout.

Thank you.

Rob

Gentlemen, I am very much in accord with the views and sentiments expressed. And to put it shortly Hintock is bliss to operate. But I worked hard to achieve that and for me simplicity is the way to go.

I was also a little surprised at the attention the last image got. However, in looking at it afresh it does perhaps encapsulate my approach and that is the overall impression. Not slavish attention to minute detail, everything of a larger whole and that was the railway scene of those days.

Following this on this next image does demonstrate that careful observation, not just looking- for as Holmes put it "Watson, you see, but you do not observe" and a right click here will pay off. Though it's unfortunate the loco is missing a lamp. Normally this loco runs front end forward.

post-3088-0-09361200-1406734061_thumb.jpg 

Gentlemen, I am very much in accord with the views and sentiments expressed. And to put it shortly Hintock is bliss to operate. But I worked hard to achieve that and for me simplicity is the way to go.

I was also a little surprised at the attention the last image got. However, in looking at it afresh it does perhaps encapsulate my approach and that is the overall impression. Not slavish attention to minute detail, everything of a larger whole and that was the railway scene of those days.

Following this on this next image does demonstrate that careful observation, not just looking- for as Holmes put it "Watson, you see, but you do not observe" and a right click here will pay off. Though it's unfortunate the loco is missing a lamp. Normally this loco runs front end forward.

attachicon.gifDSCN2959-2.jpg

Now I hadn't noticed the ballast colour before, and that again is something that most Layouts (or their builders) tend to go over board on and spray it all brown, I see you have coloured the track before ballasting for a more realistic look.

People tend to forget that you are dealing with 3 totally different commodities here, Steel Rails, Wood Sleepers, and Stone Minerals for the Ballast, each will weather and discolour differently.

I also noticed in that shot the different colour and texture of the loading Dock surface, again its all in the detail, no one surface should be just one colour.

O.K. John, please throw us some more like these.

Bodge.

• RMweb Gold

I quite agree about going for simplicity. However for me fitting tortoise point motors was much simpler than arranging satifactory linkage and more reliable. It is what works for you. I see Andy is spot on with his comments above.

Don

post-3088-0-27269500-1407365488_thumb.jpg

I've been pretty busy recently so had no time for lengthy posts but periodically I change my screen saver from my Hintock images. This is the one i have just put up so liking it, thought i would share it.

Thanks to all have signified their 'like' of my recent postings, I do i similarly and have fun with my Hintock.

It is also opportune to remark that i started two years ago my Hintock thread and as of today it has registered over 44,110 'hits' along with other expressions of approval of my endeavours.

So I would 'like to say how much I appreciate all the interest shown by management and members through those years along with the support and friendship demonstrated.

I shall attempt to add further posts for your delectation, and trust they too will meet similar approval.

Sincerely,

Hello John

Great layout - have read through the entire topic, as I am sure lots of others have.

I have a question about the colours used on some of your buildings eg the station and the new bridge by the end of the platform (ie on you recent addition). As you made the bridge recently I am hoping you can recall what colours were used.

Hello sp1, very kind of you to make those comments. I have had great pleasure creating Hintock and now in devising  further expansion. The bridge you referred to is where that begins but not perhaps in the way that might be anticipated.  I'm glad you enjoyed the read.

You ask a good question; I have no particular method but it generally follows the same course. The paints I use are Walmart car spray and acrylic from the craft shop. None expensive, just run of the mill and brushes again from Walmart. Usually of the 1/2" or 1'4" flat kind.

All of my structures are from card covered with Slaters plasticard of various kinds of stone. The layout is, of course, set in Dorset. (I don't use brick because it is not much found there or in structures I have replicated  but more to the point achieving a suitable brick colour I find difficult as I do the mortar. I was lucky with the mill-next the bridge- chimney for things turned out reasonably well.)

Spray painting the basic structure the lightest shade I can procure is done when it is complete and off the layout and as are added the first coats of a lighter colour acrylic. Here I think I have about all the shades of grey there possibly are. Lighter going into darker. Plus sandstone, honey and white.

The painting and finishing I do with the structure in place adding washes at a time and often before the previous one is dry. In this fashion they run into one another so there is nothing plain. This  takes time but adds much to the final appearance.

Often then I will pick out particular stones or areas with a mushroom, bamboo or other colour. This is dependent on whether the stone is laid randomly or in courses.

This is all a bit hit and miss, but nevertheless it seems to work for me. Often though the procedure is lengthy and often too I don't have the sense to stop-spoil the effect I was seeking and have to go over it again. The trick is knowing when to stop.

Please feel free to ask any further  questions. As I invite other members.

Thank you John

I could see there was much more there than just grey and brown.

Time to experiment!

Look forward to seeing the extension.

Steve

Ps seriously contemplating copying your layout plan, but in mirror image as that fits the space I have.

Today, August 19 is...

post-3088-0-18167000-1408443710_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-11475700-1408443745_thumb.jpg

...an especial day(*) in the annals of the Hintock Branch. And to honour the event the the Hintock Local History Society, under its President Colonel Sir Douglas Iggulden (retd), DSC, JP, arranged a celebration luncheon at the GWR's Pennsylvania Castle Hotel at Port Bredy.

post-3088-0-92820100-1408443777_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-34669800-1408443808_thumb.jpg

Afterward an illustrated talk on the subject of the "Hintock Branch and Port Bredy" was to be given by a local antiquarian, Mr G H Tuddenham, MA, history master at Dorchester Grammar School.

Travel was offered either by GWR motor coach or by a special train of goods brake vans. To demonstrate the Joint nature ofthe Branch one van was from the GWR the other SR.

Here shown are bolder members of the Society gathering to board the train.

post-3088-0-71695100-1408443843_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-46207200-1408443875_thumb.jpg

(*) Especial indeed-it's my 84th Birthday!

PS. On my screen and in screen saver mode, these images are nice and sharp. Here they appear fuzzy and that does not do them proper justice. A right click will, however, remedy that.

It also brings up the detail nicely. Enjoy! 

Nick, yes, I had a happy day (and thankful to be able to enjoy it).

But I did wish it could have been possible to travel with the attendees at the luncheon in their brake vans and as they trundled at a steady 15 mph along the Branch toward Port Bredy. What a delightful way to spend a beautiful summers day in Dorset.

And to all others I do and did appreciate all the kind sentiments expressed-including Andy's in bright red and Adrian's balloons!

Archived