The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

Thanks Don, I didn't think it was out until next week. I'm more than glad you enjoyed it and I appreciate your telling me.

Thanks and with my regards,

John.

That would be the digital edition - the paper copy of the magazine isn't available until Thursday

• RMweb Gold

That would be the digital edition - the paper copy of the magazine isn't available until Thursday

My subscription copy arrived this morning Hintock (from John) and Tucking mill (from Jerry Clifford) worth your pennies.

Don

Hi from down under in NZ.

I am new to the forum and I have enjoyed looking through this thread amongst many others . A delightful layout. Have also enjoyed reading the notes on the layout on the web site. Operating the model with a story and purpose for the movements is worth striving for and well illustrated by John's layout.

I had the privilege of visiting and operating the renovated 'Buckingham' on a trip to UK recently which has also set a very high bar...even to get just remotely close to what Peter Denny achieved would be a major success in my developing layout down here.

Andy

AndyR, Welcome to RMweb and thank you for your first post. I hope there will be many more. I also trust we shall learn of your own activities down there in NZ..

Those are kind words about Hintock, and as you duly noted Peter Denny is my inspiration and its success is very much due to the principles he set out and that I have endeavoured to follow. There as you noted, my website does afford some insight into my thinking.

I was in correspondence with him many years back and received an  invitation to visit Buckingham but unfortunately it was impossible to arrange. I am so glad that you had that opportunity and to those who have resurrected it I am most grateful.

To others here who have favourably commented on HTQ, thank you. I shall post more about it in due course. I'm highly pleased with the result for it turned out well though at the end completion a little bit rushed so as to meet the Editor's dead line.

Regards to all.

post-3088-0-18736800-1415747669_thumb.jpg

I thought you might care to see this prior to seeing it in RM.

(Evidence of a hurried completion is the back side of the signal box chimney and the yawning gap between house and outbuilding. They will be attended to before the next photo session.)

I also need a way to attend to the ground signal. Absent a working onethe answer might be to remove it altogether.

John -you are welcome.

I need to try and work out how to put a post up on my layout with pictures of progress to date. Currently have no idea.

Andy R

Click on the Forum Index tab at the top of the page.

Scroll down and find Modelling Zone.

Click on Layout & Workbench Content.

Click on Layout Topics.

At the right hand side of the page click on Start New Topic.

Put in the relevent details and post.

Andy, another good place to talk and get help is in the Lunester Lounge, a general chit chat area

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67999-lunester-lounge/page-306

Thanks gentlemen for the "likes", they are appreciated and to Mick for assisting Andrew in getting started. It can be a bit daunting.

And Donw that is very generous praise inded  and I value it. I saw doing something different and original as something of a challenge and I'm happy to see that in your eyes, and by virtue of the "likes" I pulled it off

I think in my article I referred to the "empty fish tank look" of  Inglenooks. Well, I certainly got away from that and consequent lack of charm. Here, although I says it myself, HTQ has it in spades.

• RMweb Gold

Hi John

Congratulations on the article although as I rarely get to see Railway Modeller I havent actually seen it yet. I do hope you will be posting some details about the origin of the quay.....I know you dont like writing about "how I did it" but I for one am really interested in how you created this ingenious add on. Its a perfect addition to Hintock.

Kind Regards

John

• RMweb Gold

I love that shot of the quay, John! Black & white model photos don't always work for me but your here is it very appropriate and "right".

Hintock is clearly one of those layouts where there's always a new and interesting viewing angle to be found. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I recall your various mods and developments of the layout that's no coincidence, but something you think carefully about.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry but I had to reproduce this image, John. I hope you will forgive me. If truly took me back to those days when the 'Modeller' was in black and white. Lovely evocative photo.

In particular the positioning of the gas lamp and the buffer stop. Splendid.

Rob

post-14122-0-55670000-1415821848.jpg

post-14122-0-32870200-1415822046.jpg

Gentlemen, your continued interest is most appreciated. And as it's -16C outside with 100% chance of snow I'm here in the warm responding to three recent comments.

post-3088-0-52990900-1415888630_thumb.jpg

John: thanks for the congratulations and when I get a hard copy of RM I shall, as your next door neighbour,  be in touch, not that I can pass it over the garden fence. Meantime as you rightly say I don't like writing  about 'how I dun it" but the Editor did ask for a semi-construction article so I took pictures along the way. These need to be organized and I shall eventually recount the story and happy to answer questions. I'll also post a track plan.

Meantime above tor you and others interested is a shot of work in progress at the LH end. This gives some idea of the construction techniques. All bulldings are scratch built Below is the finished job.

post-3088-0-81156700-1415888672_thumb.jpg

Mikkel, as you say not all images lend themselves to the b&w treatment but that one does and did. I'm glad you like it and evocative is a good way of describing it. I nearly added to the caption "-from the Railway Magazine, July 1937" and it would have been entirely appropriate.

Yes, I also take pains to think things through, not that they always work out as planned, and already have prepared and put in place a further development for the Hintock Branch. It has and does lend itself to some imaginative thinking. Much to do with the scenario I created in the first instance.( And if you haven't looked I write about it on my website http://www.hintockbranch.com)

Rob: nice to see your efforts and pleased you felt so inclined. You will note my comment above and I agree with you its as if it was from those RM's of a few years back that were a constant source of inspiration. I'm glad too the GWR appeals to you.

Regards,

• RMweb Premium

More "Likes" from me John with thanks for your continued modelling and photographic skills.

When it seems as though I sometimes struggle to capture a new view on my layout you do so magnificently on something very much smaller.  That alone shows the quality of the work.

My wife has just returned from a business trip to Montreal and while that may not be too close to your good self it's a very long way from here.  She mentioned it was surprisingly cold there but I think -16C wold just about finish her off!

I have just pick up a copy of Decembers RM and read your article about Hintock Quay. It's a lovely piece of modelling, and follows the charm and ethos of Hintock Redux really well. What a shame you did not have room to have it as part of the main layout but at least it will allow you to run a short session of shunting when ever the fancy takes you. As you point out, without the alterations to the main layout this would not have worked.

More pictures to 'play around with' as well. A fantastic job as usual John.

post-3088-0-36051500-1415979821_thumb.jpg

Generous and kind words Andy I'm looking forward to reading the article myself. HTQ is a joy to operate and a pleasure to photograph. Being eminently portable I can easily take different shots, and yes, Rick that is a boon.

As you comment, the alterations to Hintock itself were the catalyst that made me get on with HTQ. The enhancements of Hintock are a great improvement in terms of appearance and operation. Simple and straightforward to do; the benefits are considerable.

Above shows virtually the whole of HTQ and below a little bit of detail. The buffer stop and the lamp do hang so well together.  And I'm pleased with the rest.

post-3088-0-36051500-1415979821_thumb.jpg

I don't know why one image appears twice, but then you can't have too much of a good thing.

post-3088-0-74953300-1415979855_thumb.jpg

Hi John, I've just been reading your article in this Months (December issue) of Railway Modeller, and its really good, some very good, how I built it, pics and descriptions, what a cracking idea, at first I thought it would lead off from the siding in the yard just before the fiddle yard on Hintock and sitting around on the wall opposite Hintock.

More pics on here now please John. 

First, thanks for the "likes".

And second, Andy I do appreciate your lively interest. I haven't yet seen the article but am glad you both enjoyed it and found it informative. I gave a lot of thought to how I might enlarge Hintock to include the Town Quay but it just could not be done without a major intrusion into the room, my office, where it is located.

So HTQ is in our "family room" as found in many American homes (Lest any one think we live in a vast house, ours by local standards is quite modest.) There are two blank walls each about 15'0 long and HTQs is in the middle of one sitting on a 6'0 long office table. No, don't ask I have no plans for expansion (yet.)  I like my office to be tidy and also  prefer to shut the door on to the railway so I can come fresh to it each time.

Steve Flint RM editor, did ask for a semi-construction article and am glad you found it informative. I am no master craftsman but use traditional methods that most can apply with a little patience and using basic skills. The baseboard as can be seen is crude by many on show here. But my methods work. The base boards I have built get lighter each time and none have twisted, warped or whatever. Parts of Hintocks  boards are over 40 years old and crossed the Atlantic Ocean. Many are, in my opinion, vastly over engineered.

I have written more than usual, and one reason I do not describe at length my construction  techniques is because others work just as well for some, I do not wish to "preach' and I'm always chary of teaching my grandmother to suck eggs.

Even so, I'm always ready to answer questions. 

Meantime let us enjoy the show. More pictures in due course.

PS, I meant to add things have warmed up here-it's now only 4C.

• RMweb Gold

-4! Blimey John, that's shorts and T shirt weather that is....

Please keep the photos coming. A good view of Hintock to mull over makes my Sunday, along with some of Robs photos from ANTB.

Rob.

Archived