The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

For anyone missing John's regular photo updates, I have been in touch with John and I'm sure he won't mind me mentioning that he is having computer problems which are preventing him from reading and posting on RMweb and other forums that he frequents.  I'm sure that he would want me to reciprocate on his behalf all the kind wishes he has received over the festive period.

Hopefully he will be back online soon.

My regards to you all and particular thanks to Nick for telling of my situation. Your patience is appreciated. 

The story is this: on New Year's eve my laptop (comparatively new) crashed and burned. But now with the aid of my sons, like the Phoenix, arising from the ashes is a new computer system. And, once all the bits and pieces are installed and working I shall resume my usual postings.

Meantime here is taste of things to come.

post-3088-0-02001900-1421102746_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Nice Pic John, but how did that get down there?

EDIT = Glad to see your back and well, Hope you had a good Christmas and New Year.

Via the S&D?....

Rob

Gentlemen, those are very kind and generous responses and I  wish to make a grateful and immediate acknowledgement. I hope to get 

back later and add some other remarks.

However, domestic responsibilities require my presence  elsewhere, and, as it has snowed overnight my immediate task is to go and clear the driveway.

And yes, the S&DR now has a place in the workings of the Hintock branch.

Kind Regards to all.

I need more pics of the Quay John, I have just marked out an area on my Bitton Layout for Trebudoc Quay, that will be set in the Tamar Estuary, it wont be started for at least a year yet though, to many other projects getting in the way, hahha.

We had a few minutes of Snow / Sleet this morning but it hasn't laid, thanks goodness.

Also please be careful, I had a WARNING from some R M Webbers a few weeks ago saying that clearing Snow caused more Heart Attacks than anything else, please be warned.

All the best

Well, gentlemen here I am back again and to say my computer problems are not yet entirely resolved as some images are still AWOL as are some documents. The bulk however were in the safe hands of Dropbox that I cannot commend too highly. (Just a very satisfied customer.)

Responding to some particular comments:-

Tony, the loco is a Bachmann 3F that I got in early BR livery and from which I removed with a new razor blade the "4" from the number as I did the emblem and added "LMS" from Fox. I also closely coupled it ,a light weathering, adding a fall plate, coal, crew and lamps. It runs very well and looks good.

Richard, that does make a natural cameo, I have few people about as in reality that was often the case. Others too who saw the image earlier, like John Dew, made a similar remark.

Rob, yes indeed via the S&DR, it's a natural consequence and one that I shall follow up with an explanatory post-when I can locate the image of the map.

AndP, thank you for the thought: warning noted and of which I am well aware. Having suffered one I don't want another!  

JohnD, yes, glad to be back and your sunshine has now reached us.

post-3088-0-64630300-1421189173_thumb.jpg

Two more of the 3F and goods from off the S&DR entering Hintock.

post-3088-0-77799600-1421189230_thumb.jpg

And to show the GWR at Hintock is still present and correct, this,

post-3088-0-49710200-1421189342_thumb.jpg

Hi John, good to see you are back in the land of technology again. I think we were all getting withdrawal symptons. Now what is going on? There is a strange black thing with six wheels appeared at Hintock. LMS? Surely not? :-)

Meanwhile back at the local library the town historian has uncovered a rare find. A rare Brede barge arriving at Hintock quay while the local pannier does some gentle shunting on the quayside. Could it be arranging the wagons ready for this arrival?

post-8259-0-01430300-1421330966_thumb.jpg

Just so you can see the original colour version of the above here it is.

post-8259-0-27756200-1421331042_thumb.jpg

I hope you like the re-engineered version of Hintock Quay

Sorry I also meant to say the short piece on your blog/book about Christmas at Hintock is great. The picture looks really good. I wonder who did it? :paint: :scratchhead: :jester:

All the best

Andy M

Andy, you are surpassing yourself. That is truly stunning  and all looks so very real.  What else can I say but, thank you many times over.

I'm flattered at the interest you take in my efforts and I much appreciate the time you put in using your skills in creating these delightful enhanced images.

Would you consider posting it on the "How realistic is your  model railway" thread?.

My kindest regards,

post-3088-0-42261200-1421967236_thumb.jpg

The workings of the SR milk traffic to Hintock Dairies have been revised following earlier comments.

Here is seen the arriving empty"milk' from Yeovil with a recently out shopped M7 in charge, the van too is empty and will be loaded with powdered and tinned milk. The return working also is in the hands of the SR and where at Yeovi the milk wagons will be dispatched forward to Vauxhall. The van goes separately to Nine Elms.

It is thinking out these movements that I derive much pleasure, and such "authentic" actions add so much more fun to the joys of operating.

post-3088-0-33486200-1421967277_thumb.jpg

Mick, sorry about that but you are always assured of a warm and sunny welcome at Hintock.

And, gentlemen thank you for your  'likes'-my thanks button disappears.

That image in particular does lend itself so well to the B&W treatment. I like to think it's something of a classic shot.

Regards to all.

Archived