The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

What a contrast between inside and out. It's probably a good job Hintock isn't a garden railway. Lovely pictures of a time long gone, capturing that "busy doing nothing, working the whole day through" atmosphere.

Hi John,

Re scratch Building.

I finally got around to visiting my local picture framer, the amusingly named "Hall of Frame" in Donvale and told a delightful young lady of your recommendation for resourcing card for scratch building. She was amazingly helpful and I came away with almost a lifetime's supply of thick card in all sorts of shades.

Thanks for the great advice, a first tiny step towards my future inglenook.

Colin

AndyP and AndyM, those kind remarks about "atmosphere" are much appreciated. It is something I try to achieve and enjoy creating and I'm aiming for more with Port Bredy.

Colin: glad you are pleased. Scratch building is a rewarding and satisfying pastime and I get a lot of fun from it. One further suggestion is that if you don't know much about earlier basic building techniques in the UK is to see if you can find a students text book. There were a series I recall-though I can't remember the editor (McKee?) or who published them-that you might search for.

Mentioning that subject you, and others, might care to see the attached. Every building seen is scratch built with the basic structure from picture frame card. I hope it will give you encouragement. The "atmosphere" I'm working on.

post-3088-0-83493200-1485791862_thumb.jpg

Keith, I'm sorry I did not earlier directly acknowledge your post #1696, thank you for it. Yes, that is real snow and we have quite enough of it thank you. If you like to ski then Utah is the place, a lovely powder and the mountain areas are magnificent.

I'm glad too you found your way to Hintock, enjoyed the journey and hope you will visit again.The Joint Branch is a way to introduce the SR and it and the GWR were partners on many occasions. They fit naturally here. 

My regards..

The Water Tower at a station or by the engine shed is a feature that needs to be added. There are several from the trade to choose from but I prefer the individualist approach and below are images showing how I set about it for Port Bredy.

Three of the tank sides are from a Wills Kit, the fourth was used for a bridge, the supporting columns and girders are Plastruct, the wire braces loco handrail wire, the rest pieces of plastic sprue and the hose a length of shoe lace.

post-3088-0-80563200-1486239607_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-44174400-1486239630_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-87272300-1486239655_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-63193700-1486239677_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-71024400-1486239714_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-85266500-1486239742_thumb.jpg

What remains is to square up the service pipes  add a ladder and control chain, drain, and mount tank and pump house on a sub-base.

post-3088-0-85266500-1486239742_thumb.jpg

This last and the latter images shows how it fits into the scene. (The trees in this image below have, by the way, met the woodmans axe.)

post-3088-0-96223200-1486239780_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

i think you have really got the hang of your new camera John.

Both those images are crystal clear. I particularly like the first .....it looks so spacious.....great example of your `less is more`philosophy in practice

Cold and crisp here with Sun and Snow.......almost Utah like except not as cold and snow not as deep

Best wishes

John

Thanks John and other gentlemen, I was so pleased with those images I had to post them and I'm glad you liked them. Port Bredy is beginning to come together and I'm having fun-mixed with a little exasperation. More in due course. And yes, I do favour the less is more approach.

Some snow here, but for the last few days there has been a definite feeling of Spring. It's not that far away and we are on the right side now of November, December and January.

My regards.

Hi John,

If you were interested in something to break up and add to the greens of your background plants, how about adding some Hawthorn trees in flower, the epitome of Southern English Springtime? It so happens (unashamed plug) that I've updated with early progress on just that topic over at my Blog

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/117427-the-tree-modeller/ (#30)

Colin

Thank you Colin for your suggestions and the interesting and clever examples of your arboreal skills: however, they're not for me.

Below shows new trees roughly positioned. They look the part much better and in keeping for the local soft Dorset countryside. The others were far too stark and gaunt.

post-3088-0-97249900-1486573118_thumb.jpg

These others show more trees in and around Port Bredy settled in and prospering.

post-3088-0-11844300-1486573161_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-39887700-1486573233_thumb.jpg

I think you may agree that the species you suggest would in this company, not look quite as much at home.

PS. The last image showing is supposed to be deleted. Please ignore-the tree to the left is far too untidy!

post-3088-0-11990800-1486573468_thumb.jpg

Thank you Colin for your suggestions and the interesting and clever examples of your arboreal skills: however, they're not for me.

Below shows new trees roughly positioned. They look the part much better and in keeping for the local soft Dorset countryside. The others were far too stark and gaunt.

attachicon.gifDSCN5686-1.jpg

These others show more trees in and around Port Bredy settled in and prospering.

attachicon.gifDSCN5632-1.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN5626-1.jpg

I think you may agree that the species you suggest would in this company, not look quite as much at home.

PS. The last image showing is supposed to be deleted. Please ignore-the tree to the left is far too untidy!

John -and your suggested approach for making said trees is how?

regards Andy R

Thanks AndyR, happy to oblige, my approach uses lengths of wire cable of various diameters for the main trunk with the branches major and minor from the  remaining unstranded cable. Here I use one pair of pliers to hold the cable the other to pull it apart and into a tree like form. By this process and its nature each tree is unique.

The  main trunk is then usually covered with paper towel. to obscure its origins and all then  painted with a thick paint. For foliage I use well pulled out Woodland Scenic material. starting at the bottom and working up.

Careful examination of any of my picture trees will reveal all this.

I do set it out in greater length and with illustrative images in a section on my Hintock website.

http://www.hintockbranch.com/

Usually I build them in batches. Its a boring task and gets it out of the way and I can draw on my stock pile as needed. Be aware the cut cable is sharp and needs care in handling as are the finished trees with them being rather "prickly".

I make no claims of them representing any particular species; as with all my modelling they are but representations.

Ant more questions, please ask.

post-3088-0-77932200-1486598922_thumb.jpg

Try as I may I cannot get this posted upright.

But I'm sure anyone really interested in making trees from cable can work out what the subject matter is. Quite why I took it I have no idea but, as far as it goes, it helps illuminate this subject.

Reverting to the now upright tree, thanks to Colin, this shot shows it in finished form (behind and over the cab roof of the loco). It now looks equally as presentable as the other trees that bedeck the scene-all from unstranded wire cable.

The O2 and coach don't look too bad either.

post-3088-0-54011700-1486603852_thumb.jpg

It appears gentlemen from the likes and other endorsements you enjoy seeing how I get on with things.

So here,once again are a series of working shots showing Port Bredy in various stages of current activity. The diligent can by comparing these and earlier images see how matters proceed, or don't, until I'm satisfied with the likely outcome.

post-3088-0-28713800-1486915511_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-61507800-1486915544_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-99949100-1486915574_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-38789700-1486915603_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-10873400-1486915629_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-06938400-1486915665_thumb.jpg

And, these show more recent progress.

post-3088-0-51913700-1486915736_thumb.jpg

The loco above is "out of the box" and awaiting weathering etc.

post-3088-0-24071800-1486915759_thumb.jpg

Apart from the latter two I found the others hidden away in my computer. I thought they'd disappeared into wherever.

Any questions, please ask

• RMweb Premium

The pannier shunts the siding on a warm summers day.

attachicon.gifhintock farmers.jpg

I honestly cannot tell where the modelled scene ends and the backscene begins.  Nor whether this is an original photo or edited in any way.  Either way the result is quite superb and if I am ever able to reach such a standard I shall consider myself fortunate indeed and credit some inspiration and learning where it is due to yourself, John.

Archived