The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

I am obliged to you gentlemen for your kind and supportive interest. It gives me a lot of pleasure to create the scenes of Port Bredy-and you see something of the process .

In regard to the particular comments and thank you for them,

AndyP, I'm getting to grips with the lighting for photography and that has made a big difference  and as you kindly remark.

AndyM, I have no grand master plan, just a vision of what I wish to create. But I do have a firm outline of the nature of the overall scene. Then it's very much a classic example of creation. Trying this, and if it doesn't work-try again. And as you say you can from various images see the evolution.

Rick, You produce good stuff yourself and know well this part of Dorset so your opinion is valuable. Here, In that case I only produced the basic model and all the credit for the enhancement so ably done to my original image is due to the interest in my activities of AndyM-Highlandman. Take a bow Andy.

Martyn, as one who lives and works in the general area in which Port Bredy and Hintock are set that is praise indeed.

post-3088-0-88371800-1487001704_thumb.jpg

Arriving and arrival.

post-3088-0-38895800-1487001732_thumb.jpg

There's not much new in this last image except the additions to Betty And Fred's stable of the store for fodder , the lean to on the side and not visible the midden. Small things that make the whole.

post-3088-0-75692200-1487256176_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-55340600-1487256261_thumb.jpg

To the left of the tower is a bushy bunch that replace a tree. The tree there looked a little forlorn (as previous images demonstrate) so I found it a new home as below, among like company. It appears much more content as am I with it in its new location.

Evolution at work.

post-3088-0-09013500-1487256299_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-37471100-1487256324_thumb.jpg

Now for some creation.

post-3088-0-34734000-1487256353_thumb.jpg

Every Permanent Way gang require a base for their work. To keep loose tools, to make a brew and cook up a meal, and to dry wet working clothes. This is their newly installed hut at Port Bredy.

post-3088-0-60413800-1487256380_thumb.jpg

And the camera as a useful tool to reveal what's wrong and needs to be fixed.

post-3088-0-53789100-1487256954_thumb.jpg

Here the NE is over represented in the SW.

post-3088-0-40810900-1487256932_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN5718-1.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN5719-1.jpg

To the left of the tower is a bushy bunch that replace a tree. The tree there looked a little forlorn (as previous images demonstrate) so I found it a new home as below, among like company. It appears much more content as am I with it in its new location.

Evolution at work.

attachicon.gifDSCN5723-1.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN5703-1.jpg

Now for some creation.

attachicon.gifDSCN5648-1.jpg

Every Permanent Way gang require a base for their work. To keep loose tools, to make a brew and cook up a meal, and to dry wet working clothes. This is their newly installed hut at Port Bredy.

attachicon.gifDSCN5693-1.jpg

And the camera as a useful tool to reveal what's wrong and needs to be fixed.

attachicon.gifDSCN5716-1.jpg

Here the NE is over represented in the SW.

I do like your trees John.  The whole yard looks functional without being cluttered and those posts along the embankment are so representative of well worn and weathered without looking like a row of soldiers standing to attention.

Thank you gentlemen for your interest, likes and comment.

Regarding those:-

AndyP, there's more detail to be added, of course, ground signals, signals, telegraph poles and maybe a crane. Then some clutter, perhaps a few individuals and Fred with his wagon.

AndyR, yes, it's evolving one step at a time (and some even backward but I don't necessarily publish those.)

Alan,I agree it is a simple layout and that's the way I like things but I suggest sophisticated with it. I had operation very much in mind in creating it and it has met those goals. There are all the basic facilities, six sidings to shunt (five for goods, one for van traffic, pleasant scenery, a five road Staging Yard to furnish a variety of (shortish) trains and I can employ locos from the GWR,SR and LMSR.

As you well know the top and bottom of it is to have a credible scenario to start with and that I took pains about in thinking it through from the outset. And its paid dividends.

Mike, I'm happy with the grouping of  the trees at the end. two didn't somehow look right and the addition of the third has made all the difference. The trick with trees I have found is to get the right kind of shape first (by observation) and then well tease our the Woodlands Scenic foliage. More often too they can be seen through and this adds to their lightness of appearance. You are right about the fence posts and my soldering days are long ago, I'm "at ease" as are they.

Now more images of a kind.

post-3088-0-82768300-1487515171_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-21208800-1487515224_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-02833700-1487515247_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-78888900-1487515270_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-53841200-1487515296_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-25604800-1487515348_thumb.jpg

This last image I particularly like.

PS, one lesson learned from this photo shoot is I need to remember to block off the view through the bridge. 

Agree Andy, thanks, it's only by taking a series of shots from about the same spot can you ever get those that really "have it". Making the choice is sometimes difficult.

The last one seems to possess both GWR majesty and a natural presence. I've had it up as my screen saver and didn't tire of it. Currently I have  #4. Again it has that elusive presence. (Apart from that view through the bridge!)

Martyn, glad you are enjoying them. I too go back. They merit study particularly after a right click.

The last,  and that location  shown will eventually be improved by having different "grasses" on the embankment and in the field adjoining. One being natural and the other pasture.

A long overdue visit from me John but well worth taking a bit of time to catch up.

I can only echo the comments of others on how it looks and this is still as much of an inspiration to me now as it was on my very first visit to your thread.

Jim

Encouraged to do so by some kind remarks on another thread I thought you may enjoy these working shots of the current state of Port Bredy.

post-3088-0-52918800-1488035300_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-21308900-1488035338_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-04369400-1488035373_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-69387200-1488035397_thumb.jpg

And what's kept me happily occupied this week is the scratch built Signal Box at platform end. More on that soon.

Encouraged to do so by some kind remarks on another thread I thought you may enjoy these working shots of the current state of Port Bredy.

attachicon.gifDSCN5740-1.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN5753-1.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN5747-1.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN5751-1.jpg

And what's kept me happily occupied this week is the scratch built Signal Box at platform end. More on that soon.

Hi John, some great pics there, I cant wait to get my New Toys out and Play. I little Black Box arrived this week from Hattons with a 14XX in Great Western inside, absolutely stunning and such a sweet runner as well..

PB's atmosphere is superb John. Well done.

attachicon.gifDSCN5740-1.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN5753-1.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN5747-1.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN5751-1.jpg

Once again some truly inspirational pictures...

Thanks Andy, yes, those small tank locos are very beguiling and will be seen and enjoyed at their best when you have created the familiar habitat of your own country branch.

And a note on my photos: the camera is a useful, it at times an unkind, tool. It shows how my trees at the LH end require more foliage around the bare lower trunks. Also I thought I had sorted out the level of the water tank. I now discover whilst its base is level the tank itself is skew whiff. I'm not inclined to rebuild it. The base is not as obvious so that I think will be come less than level. A quick fix.

Thanks too gentleman for your likes and interest.

PS-on Edit, all it took to fix the tank was a shim of card.

sp1, sorry, I missed  responding to your post, I'm glad the images inspire-they give me no end of pleasure to create and when they are appreciated I feel as if I've made a proper job of it. Thanks.

I saw too your kind post on another thread-thank you for it and the sentiments expressed.

My regards,

Operation is my principle interest and foremost in a credible setting.

Among the many facets of operation is shunting, How  I achieve that I have described here on this thread (somewhere) using order and method,.and it is fully described on my website, link below to http://hintockbranch.com/

Managed properly It can be both an intellectual challenge and fun.

These following images demonstrate where that happens.

post-3088-0-11769000-1488641187.jpg

Shunting, switching more correctly in the local parlance, on my late Providence River in American HO. (That layout is now being re-built as Mesquite.)

post-3088-0-26022600-1488641243_thumb.jpg

An SR E4 briings into Hintock the morning goods from Yeovil with an eight wagon train. That's  stimulating  exercise putting eight away and picking eight up for departure.

post-3088-0-01749800-1488641281_thumb.jpg

On another occasion shunting Hintock's Sheepcroft Yard.

post-3088-0-49779500-1488641346_thumb.jpg

My stand alone Inglenook Hintock Town Quay, Mk 1.

post-3088-0-83433000-1488641375_thumb.jpg

HTQ, Mk 2.

post-3088-0-35804700-1488641478_thumb.jpg

And, my current endeavour: shunting in GWR fashion at Port Bredy and that I'm in the process of completing.

Operation is my principle interest and foremost in a credible setting.

Among the many facets of operation is shunting, How  I achieve that I have described here on this thread (somewhere) using order and method,.and it is fully described on my website, link below to http://hintockbranch.com/

Managed properly It can be both an intellectual challenge and fun.

These following images demonstrate where that happens.

attachicon.gifDSCN0372-1.jpg

Shunting, switching more correctly in the local parlance, on my late Providence River in American HO. (That layout is now being re-built as Mesquite.)

attachicon.gifDSCN4334-1.jpg

An SR E4 briings into Hintock the morning goods from Yeovil with an eight wagon train. That's  stimulating  exercise putting eight away and picking eight up for departure.

attachicon.gifDSCN5280-1.jpg

On another occasion shunting Hintock's Sheepcroft Yard.

attachicon.gifDSCN4372-1.jpg

My stand alone Inglenook Hintock Town Quay, Mk 1.

attachicon.gifDSCN5256-1.jpg

HTQ, Mk 2.

attachicon.gifDSCN5697-1.jpg

And, my current endeavour: shunting in GWR fashion at Port Bredy and that I'm in the process of completing.

That's a lovely set of pics John. Loads of Shunting potential and stunning Buildings.

Archived