Bachmann 7 plank GW Coal Wagon Also Airfix 5 plank

• RMweb Gold

I'm currently looking at weathering my coal wagons which include POWs and GW versions.As I model post war I'm thinking the large letters are wrong if pristine.What I want to know is if they should be the 16'' high ones or would I get away with a very dirty well weathered wagon instead.

Was this livery used on GWR goods vans from 1936-47 ?

The models I have are similar to these but Bachmanns are better quality.

http://www.anticsonl..._1_1056994.html

http://www.gwr.org.u...swagon1920.html

It's never safe to say examples didn't survive as someone will find one immediately. You'll probably find survivals of the 16" lettering and possibly even 25", but much more likely are the post-1937 or post-1942 liveries with 5" GW, weight and wagon number at bottom left.

Nick

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure the GWR had 7-plank coal wagons as such; their mineral wagons were iron, later steel, apart from some early 5-planks. Their 7-plank wagon was a merchandise wagon, diag O10, with a 5-plank drop door and small doors at the top. However, for survival of earlier markings The 4mm Wagon vol 1 has three 5-plank opens photographed in BR days with faded 16" letters 'GW'.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

I think the wagon you have is the Bachmann 7-plank (Charles Roberts?/RCH standard?) private owner wagon, whose origin is a Mainline moulding from the late '70s. If so, it is not a GWR wagon, so your desire to label it as such is strange.

I thought that too but the tooling says Bachmann 'made in China' underneath.As Pete suggests above,maybe did'nt use 7 planks for coal and Bachmann have just reliveried their POW to this.The running no. is 09240 if this can help its authenticity.

Edited.A Bachmann product search reveals its code as 37-079

On the Charles Roberts 7-plank PO, Bachmann revamped the original Mainline (10' wb) moulding to produce a 9' variant in 1998.

A running number's first digit of '0' indicates a wagon hired in by the GWR and receiving standard wagon livery but never given a GWR diagram number. There were a few wooden 7-plankers (mainly Gloucester) hired in before WWI for loco coal use, being dinky 14.5' or 15.5' lengths (9' wb, of course), whose numbers began with 0. There is no indication they remained in GWR ownership, let alone survived WWII (rather unlikely).

(Putting 0 at the beginning of a running number is a Dapol trick as well.)

Bachmann's 37-079 is a 5-plank BR diagram 1/051 China Clay of c 1954.

I am not 100% sure but if any surving PO wagon went into BR ownership on the western region they had the letter P before the number, so your wagon would be P9240. I have seen some old photos showing this numbering but as to how widespread this form of numbering was, I do not know.

ATB,

Martyn.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The running No is for a diagram O24 open, which had a wider top plank and no "Knee" on the diagonal strapping which stopped at floor level. The Airfix wagon is nearest to a late LMS diagram. Knee surgery would make it closer to the GWR diagram if you ignore the planking.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

Just a bump for this topic concerning the accuracy of the Airfix GWR 5 plank with a running number of 109458.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item20cac8cc4d

Any info on it ?

A bit of delving has found the prototype photo in Russells Pictorial of GWR wagons.16' over headstocks 9'wb but no diagram number given to confirm its an O24 wagon though.I don't have the book 81c mentions.

• RMweb Premium

A bit of delving has found the prototype photo in Russells Pictorial of GWR wagons.16' over headstocks 9'wb but no diagram number given to confirm its an O24 wagon though.I don't have the book 81c mentions.

Rob,

How many times have I told you, turn away from the GWR darkside and towards the light of the Southern...

Hope this helps. :jester:

I'm not sure the GWR had 7-plank coal wagons as such.

Hi All,

The closest you may get to this is some of the wagons absorbed at grouping in 1923. Here is an example that was built by Gloucester RCW for the Taff Vale Railway and is in preservation at 81E:

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/wagons/10153/10153.html

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob the books are by published by David & Charles written by Atkins, Beard, Hyde & Tourret they are worth buying if you can track them down.

Regards81c

I know of a copy of the Combined edition (not the bumper version) going for £50 at the Oxfam shop near my Dad. Not the cheapest I've seen it (my copy was ~£30) but still cheaper than the chancers on Amazon. If anyone is interested at that price I could arrange to get it purchased.

The namesake for the Airfix wagon is pictured on p152 of the Combined edition and is an O24. I'd agree with Miss Prism that the closest the actual model represents is an O32 with curved feet (sketched on P151) so a spot of renumbering would be in order.

Archived