Creedyford

treggyman

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A most enjoyable read through the 'history of this layout. I am well impressed with the quality of the building. Thanks also for the amusing stories about life 'in/out of the box'.

Great stuff.

If my planned layout has this quality I shall be well pleased.

Eggesford's Signal Box  that he kindly displayed on here is a fantastic piece of work and it clearly inspired yourself treggyman.

Phil (to be builder/owner of Seaton Junctionish)

• Like 1

A most enjoyable read through the 'history of this layout. I am well impressed with the quality of the building. Thanks also for the amusing stories about life 'in/out of the box'.

Great stuff.

If my planned layout has this quality I shall be well pleased.

Eggesford's Signal Box  that he kindly displayed on here is a fantastic piece of work and it clearly inspired yourself treggyman.

Phil (to be builder/owner of Seaton Junctionish)

Hi Phil

Thanks for the above post....& the other likes etc.....Really appreciated....

I must admit I enjoy flicking back through the thread every now & again & the input from others certainly makes the whole thread more entertaining.....

The same is true of other peoples threads that I follow......

Good luck with Seaton Junctionish....I assume you've not yet started it so look forward to following your progress......

Thanks again

Cheers Bill

• 6 months later...

Hi All

November since I last posted on this thread.....How time flies!!!!!!!

Well hopefully get the layout set up this week  as it's next outing is the Plymouth show at the end of the month.....

Looking forward to that.......But must make sure all works well before I pack it into the Landrover.....

The following week & it's Penhallick Junctions turn at the Carn Brea show so a busy time ahead........

Will update as & when the layout is up.......

I have ordered a nameboard/sign for it as the one that I got for it isn't what I ordered......

Hopefully I won't have the same problems that I had with Penhalick's sign......(see that thread for details)

Cheers Bill

• Like 2

Don't be fooled by all that white stuff on Rays new layout, it's not snow.....it's ray's dandruff !!!!! ( sorry Ray! )

Looking forward to the Plimuff show

Cheers for now :)

Don't be fooled by all that white stuff on Rays new layout, it's not snow.....it's ray's dandruff !!!!! ( sorry Ray! )

Looking forward to the Plimuff show

Cheers for now :)

Hi

I did wonder when I saw the layout at Exeter last week !!!!!!!!

Yep should be a  good show......

Cheers Bill

Hi All

A couple of weeks to the Plymuff show so got the layout down & set up to make sure all is well.......

I didn't know we had so many spiders!!!!!!!

Anyway all well as far as I can see so far running wise.....

A couple of minor jobs to do......

The signal on the platform at the level crossing end has come loose....

Still in place & working but not upright....While it is loose I will see if I can stop the light bleed that makes it look from certain angles that it is showing double red or double green!!!!!

Also to stop the ink running on the backscene I used  a glue stick( similar to Pritt stick) for use with card/paper etc......In places this has come adrift so I shall use  Deluxe Superphatic instead to fix it...

It's not too obvious but I know it's not right so needs to be done......

& one of the rails had come unsoldered on the curved boards where it joins on to the traverser....Resoldered & sorted....

I also made a metal bracket to fix the on off switch for the level crossing sound under the baseboard.....Previously I had used superglue to fix it but it kept coming adrift....Not anymore!!!!!

Next week an intensive running  & wheel cleaning session & all will ,fingers crossed be ready for Saturday week with no nasty surprises when I get there....

Cheers Bill

Edit to correct spelling

Edited by treggyman
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Well it's now Thursday & apart from a good run to check all works OK & wheel cleaning nothing much else got done......

The Domestic Authorities had other tasks much more important........Her cart needed mending for a show on Sunday !!!!

Anyway the landrover has been cleaned out & the layout is now split down ready for loading up tomorrow evening.....

Then crack of dawn start on Saturday morning......

Hopefully see some of you there......

Cheers Bill

• Like 2

Hope you have a good day in Plymouth on Saturday.

Sorry I won't be down this weekend as off to Goodwood Festival of Speed !

Hi Richard

Thanks for the good wishes & hope you enjoy your festival of speed....

See you there Bill with Hounslow Sidings.

Hi Ray

Look forward to seeing you there tomorrow....

Cheers Bill

Hi All

Well it's all packed up in the landrover ready for  the Plymouth show tomorrow.....It never ceases to amaze me that it fits in.......

The worrying thing is there seems more space than I'd expected left over but according to my check list all is there!!!!!

The new sign turned up at last......Saw the guy at lunchtime & he said it'd be ready for when I went home....

It wasn't.....Got a phone call at home from a workmate who'd been rung by my boss to say it had been dropped in at 5.45.....

So I popped back to work to pick it up.......

It's not quite right but I ain't having it done again......

Just need to fix a hanging bracket to it so it can be hung off the fascia.......

Well early start tomorrow......Hopefully see some of you there....

Cheers Bill

Hi All

Well another show over......

Firstly a BIG thankyou to Ian & the Plymouth boys for being so helpful & welcoming.....

Unfortunately my son & normal assistant couldn't get off work so I was on my own.......

The lads wouldn't take no for an answer & I had loads of help offloading in the morning & packing up in the afternoon.....

A VERY BIG THANKYOU....Really appreciated.....

Loads of tea (thanks Ian & BGman) & chocolate cake to kill for.....

As you might have guessed I had a very enjoyably but tiring day......

The layout seemed well received by the punters.....Lots of in depth questions which hopefully I was able to answer.....

The kids (& grown ups )seemed to like the sound/lights of the level crossing.....The only question was why I hadn't made the gates rise & fall......

A task for it's next outing a Taunton to sort out I feel.....

It ran well......50035 decided to start derailing at about 1pm so William Cookworthy was taken off inspection car duties & ran the 5 coach passenger for the rest of the day faultlessly......

The only other problems were because I was talking & trying to run trains & as I'm not good at multitasking I made a few mistakes......

Did have a brief panic first thing when I switched on & nothing worked.....Soon sorted when I plugged in the baseboards!!!!!!

Sadly only a couple of general pics of the layout showing the new sign......

post-7844-0-14410200-1435436048_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-55058200-1435436080_thumb.jpg

Not sure it's quite right.....

As I said above it wasn't quite as I asked for but it wasn't expensive so I'm not going to worry about it......

Any thoughts positive or negative welcome.........

It  might have been better placed in the middle?

Also nice to speak to someone who worked the line who could see Crediton in my model & passed on some interesting info,,,,,Sadly only had a short chat......

Well it's Penhallick Junctions turn next week......

Cheers Bill

• Like 6

Hi Bill

I'm glad you had a good day in Plymouth and enjoyed the cake, I have passed on your appreciation to the ladies.

E

Hi E

I meant to put a thankyou to the ladies in my post.....

As I said to them when I bought it at about 9.30.....'The number of times I've been to a show....seen a cake & thought ...that looks nice but when I've gone back to buy some it's all gone.....

So now I buy a slice & eat it later.....At aboUt 2.30 in this case......But it was well worth waiting for....Should've bought two slices though it was so good!!!!!

Cheers Bill

Hi All

Well as it was wet this morning I did one or two things to the layout.......Such a shame I couldn't do any outdoor jobs!!!!!!

First was to find out why 50035 was derailing......

As to be expected ran it round & round & it didn't derail once....

However as pointed out by a gentleman at the show the heel of the point looked slightly out of gauge......

& it was hot at the show as well....

The blade must have come adrift at the last show as the solder joint hadn't been repainted & when resoldered it was causing the wheels to catch on the point blade I assumed......

So a few adjustments were made by resoldering the rail & hopefully problem now solved.

At the end of the day the OTA's started to 'jump' on one of the crossover points at the Barnstaple end.......

Today one of them was full on derailing.....

Again a bit of work with the soldering iron seemed to sort this out as the gauge was slightly out & there was a slight height difference in the rail height....

I also found that on one set of wheels the back to back measurement were out as well as I couldn't shunt them into the yard.....Now adjusted......

Yesterday this train consisted of 3 OTA's & 3 Ciba geigy TTA's......No problems with the TTA's yesterday !!!!!

Today one derailed in two separate places !!!!!!!   TISH I thought.....

Anyway I found that one problem was a dip where the curve joins the traverser......Soldering Iron out solved that......

The second was solved by filing back the recess where the point blade sits against the stock rail on the same point that the class '50 was derailing.

Anyway I was able to run the train flat out round & round without a problem so hopefully problem solved......

Also fitted couplings to my three empty Turbots & they ran round with no problems either.....

A worthwhile day as a few problems resolved that I hadn't really realised I had.....

The main problem is I enjoy building rather than running so it can seem to work fine when there are problems I'm not aware of.....

Cheers Bill

• Like 1