Hemyock - Down on the farm...

aberdare

Thanks Polly

Good to see you posting on here too as each post acts as a prompt to move on to the next phase. Modelling had to be postponed for a few days but it came back out tonight and I managed a couple of hours on it to get the roof timbers to three quarters complete, with a bit of luck I will complete them tomorrow. It will then be on with the boarding and the tiling, the latter of these is the one that has always bothered me as I cannot find anything that is just right, I did mention on the station building that I wasn't happy with the Wills full pantiles as they are not prototypical of Hemyock. I do have a 'cunning plan' though to make my own and will be giving that a go in a few days, fingers crossed that it works.

I shall look forward to seeing you carriage shed progress as it looks as though you will have a fair bit of Kit bashing to do to get the finished article.

More pics on the way when I complete the last three roof sections.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Jim, that's a superb job! As Michael says, in the previous post, what a shame to have to cover all that work up. I understand that the tips of the rafters will all protrude, and that it was easier to fit the whole lot, rather than bits. But can't you incorporate a bit of "dereliction" at one end of the shed - or how about having it at the end of its construction - so you can show off some of the rafter work?

Of course, you'll have your own scheme in mind for Hemyock, so we should just let you get on! There are a few of us who really are nutters when it comes to details!! Good - long may it continue!

Now do as you're told and clean the table before you get into trouble!!  :sungum:

All the best,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Thanks for the kind comments, I must admit once I had completed it I did consider having a builder up his ladder replacing a few tiles on the far end which is still something to think about. Afterall some maintenance will have been carried out during its life.

More to come in the New Year once I have made the tiles.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the big thumbs up Gary.

Things were very quiet (modelling wise) over the Christmas period and nothing got done at all, it also took me until yesterday to start again and then only for a couple of hours in the evening. I hope to progress a bit further over the next few days with the tiling which is giving more problems than I thought it would, however I have changed tack and it seems OK now. Once I have part of it complete I may post a picture or two as the whole thing is going to take an age to do.

I have got to go and prune an orchard for a friend who broke his leg and the wife wants some decorating done so time will be at a premium for a while, but I want to get this done as I have 1384 waiting to be built later in the year.

Thanks again for looking in and I'll try to keep the updates coming.

Jim

Things have moved on albeit slower than I would have wished, but progress has been made all the same.

The boards for one side were completed with the addition of the strip to give the feathering effect and after fitting these were given a first coat of paint. This has been stone No1 as it appears to be the colour used, assumed by perusing the B&W photographs and comparing it to the other shades of grey of known colours. 

Those of you who have read the earlier threads know of my dissatisfaction of the manufactured pantiles shape in comparison to the prototype and I was determined to find a way of representing the double pantile effect seen on the photographs. So I tried a few different things and eventually found something that worked for me and the results can be seen in the following photographs. They may not be as perfect as the moulded ones but from a normal viewing distance I think they give the feel of the real thing. See what you think and don't worry if you disagree because they are staying anyway.

Right here goes.

post-13569-0-90766400-1357843758_thumb.jpg

I used a large sheet of plasticard and attached a number of half round strips, this were 1mm in diameter and placed 1mm apart , the theory beiing these would give me a double pantile of 4mm rather than the 5mm of the commercial ones. I had to file away the underside to create the concave curve to the underside for the bottom row as these are visible on the model, this first row sits with the top of the tile below the batten so that the following row sits on the batten, this raises the lower edge slightly above the previous row to give the effect of sitting on the lower tile. If you follow my waffle.

A picture paints a thousand words so,

post-13569-0-77133800-1357844587_thumb.jpg

The effect can be seen better on the top rows especially. Once painted (properly) and weathered to bottom edges will be darker and a curved effect will be created by the half round strips blocking the view of a blunt closed end.

Another shot to show what I mean.

post-13569-0-38114500-1357844913_thumb.jpg

Those close 2.5x shots are cruel though, looks like I need to do some tidying up with the old head magnifier on.

Hopefully when finished it should look something like the real thing http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/h/hemyock/index34.shtml for those who have not seen it before.  

I hope to complete this side over the weekend and the complete thing in around 2 weeks, including birds nest! time will tell. I did take another inside shot but I think I will leave that until later when it is complete.

One last thing is to decide whether or not to include a repair in progress on the roof to reveal the timbers, I'm tempted to as I can think of a good reason for such a cameo.

Thanks again for looking in.

Jim

• Like 15

Hi Jim,

Those tiles look really good - especially in your cruel close up.  I'm envious of the patience you have to be able to do this quality of modeling.  Hopefully one day...  Hope you get time to finish it up soon.

• RMweb Gold

I like the pantiles too.  If you have the time and enjoy it why not try these things?

I have put things inside of things, (to paraphrase Monty Phython). such as people inside carriages, the interior of a station and the thought then is, 'how do I display this'.  Not because we want to show of necessarily but because we want to enjoy what we have made.  One way for me would be to make it so that the roof comes off, well on the carriages at least.  As there would not be lights inside then why not have the roof being fixed?

Thanks for the replies.

Michael W - There are times when my patience gets a bit stretched but I just get up and walk away until I feel ready to have another go, usually it's down to lack of dexterity as I am quite content to sit and make fiddly little bits. I still remember my first attempt at this years ago, it looked nothing like this as I'd only made two sides and the end from sheets of card with planks stuck on, pretty basic stuff. The eye for detail and patience came with age. Best of luck with your projects.

Michael Campbell - Those pantiles have bugged me for ages so it felt good to come up with a solution that worked for me, mind you it took three attempts at fitting and the renewal of tile battens before I was finally happy, the commercial tiles nearly went back on until I had another brainwave. Part of the roof will be revealed at the back end of the shed as it will also let a little light in to allow the framing to be seen.

Chris - I agree with you on having the roof come off as that is what I have done with the station building but it was too difficult with this one with all the framing showing, putting 'things inside things' as you say just seems right and leaves one feeling content that it is there even if others think why bother - my wife for one.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers Jeff

You certainly know how to put a man under pressure. What am I going to do now. :banghead:

I'll have to get the paints out tomorrow to cover the white tiles, trim off any 'sticky out' bits and decide whether to to slap the last few planks on. I'd only just posted on your thread to say I might do a 'Jeff' and show the completed item in a blaze of glory.

Pictures coming soon but I have to take the wife for some appointments first so you'll have to be patient, I'm also going to have to tidy the dining table, she won't let put that on here if it's messy.  :nono:

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Jeff

You certainly know how to put a man under pressure. What am I going to do now. :banghead:

I'll have to get the paints out tomorrow to cover the white tiles, trim off any 'sticky out' bits and decide whether to to slap the last few planks on. I'd only just posted on your thread to say I might do a 'Jeff' and show the completed item in a blaze of glory.

Pictures coming soon but I have to take the wife for some appointments first so you'll have to be patient, I'm also going to have to tidy the dining table, she won't let put that on here if it's messy.  :nono:

Jim

I think that's a very good idea Jim. That way you can keep us all waiting on your terms.

We all KNOW it'll be superb, even without the pictures!

Jeff

Edit: Having just read your blog - I wish my grandad had played Scooby Doo with me!!

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

Hi Jim, I am sure I have been on here before but I am stunned at the pics of the roof above, I will have a full read through when I have more time.

All the best, and well done mate.

Andy,  Old Lune. :sungum:

• Like 1

Jeff 

snip * I wish my grandad had played Scooby Doo with me!!*

Well you can see why I get so slow in completing stuff now. I am slowly converting him onto trains now so hopefully playtime can become a bit more constructive for me. I think I might start him of painting something simple at first before moving onto scratchbuilding the buildings for the Junction :O . No harm in starting them young is there :no:

Jim

• Like 1

Hi Jim, I am sure I have been on here before but I am stunned at the pics of the roof above, I will have a full read through when I have more time.

All the best, and well done mate.

Andy,  Old Lune. :sungum:

Cheers Andy

I think I got a carried away with this one, it was meant to be the simple one!! But you know what it's like, once you get started things seem to take on a mind of their own with this hobby and it's a job to stop,

Enjoy the read through whilst I order the last few bits of plastic to get it finished.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Jeff 

snip * I wish my grandad had played Scooby Doo with me!!*

Well you can see why I get so slow in completing stuff now. I am slowly converting him onto trains now so hopefully playtime can become a bit more constructive for me. I think I might start him of painting something simple at first before moving onto scratchbuilding the buildings for the Junction :O . No harm in starting them young is there :no:

Jim

Heavens - talk about corrupting young minds!!

GREAT IDEA go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :sungum:

Jeff

Right, after a little flurry of posts a couple of nights ago I thought I might show where I have got up to at the present time. I think this is the best option as it is going to be a while before it is fully finished as I have quite a lot of other things to do over the coming weeks.

Last time I posted pictures was of the tiles going on and this has now been completed but I didn't want to post anything until I had completed the ridge tiles, this is what I have been doing the last day or so. I had previously cut individual tiles and then glued them on but found it rather tedious and getting the alignment right with every tile as you tried to stick it without moving the last one difficult.

This time by using plastic again (rather than card) it would stick easier and I wanted simple alignment, so here is how it all went.

I decided to use two long lengths with individual tiles fixed to them, so first it was sticking the couple of lengths of plastic down - about 3.5mm wide with a 1mm(ish) gap - with masking tape and then using a width of 8mm strip  i glued it on to the two strips, cut it and moved onto the next. The picture shows what I mean better than my description.

post-13569-0-25745100-1359565050_thumb.jpg

I was not worried about size at this point, that is the overhang over each of the strips as I turned the whole thing over and trimmed it to create some minor differences in size.

post-13569-0-90575500-1359566547_thumb.jpg

The result is to give a finished strip with some recessed mortar lines between each tile.

post-13569-0-18074800-1359566700_thumb.jpg

The reason for leaving the gap between the two strips is to enable the whole thing to be bent along a straight line before fitting to the shed. The completed strip ready for fixing.

post-13569-0-69482100-1359566879_thumb.jpg

Right the big question is how did it all come out? What did it look like?

Well I'll show you in a tick. But firstly remember I was going to leave part of the roof exposed, well I have done that too. The story is that just after the turn of the century the trees were cleared from behind the station and the photos show this to be around the period I model, so it makes sense to assume that the reason was the trees were a danger especially after a branch had fallen off and damaged the rear of the carriage shed. :good_mini: Well that's my reason anyway.

Also the front planking which is curved gave me no end of problems. I attempted this as a break from tiling just as the cold weather started, this in turn seemed to have the effect of my hands not doing what the brain instructed, three days it took and I lost count of the number of times they were ripped off. Did I swear! no, I just sighed, wondered why and tried again. So after sides being different lengths, planks out of vertical and even forgetting to put one in when they were all cut to size I got there. Funny with that one I missed, I swear it wasn't there when I was looking for it but after I'd stuck the rest on it lay there taunting me in full view.

Enough rambling here are more pics.

post-13569-0-38531000-1359568075_thumb.jpg

post-13569-0-66106200-1359568137_thumb.jpg

post-13569-0-36369000-1359568195_thumb.jpg

The planking on the rear and some of one sides is still to be completed and tidied up once some more strips arrive, then it is on to completing the tidying up and painting to give a finished model.

Hopefully the next post will show it in position in the station. Now can I source a model of Jeff and Andy P doing the repairs, the former for the carpentry of the broken tile batten and the other to weather the tiles to match existing.

Thanks for spending the time to read. I will return as and when time allows any further progress.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Nice job, Jim! not surprised it took so long to fit all the tiles - and you left the area of dereliction that was suggested by a few posters. And look - I am a small chap, but do you REALLY expect me to shrink down to do the repair work!!!  :no:

Excellent work, as usual....

Jeff

• Like 1

Cheers Jeff

I think I need a break from making tiles and things for a while so I might think of something easier, maybe the bridge over the river or that split tree I now  need to make. I may have to get the camera out and pop into the field opposite and get a few pictures of one that split just before Xmas, should be a nice change and yet another challenge, Iv'e never modelled a damaged tree before.

I need to plan what I do though as I can't leave too much on the layout itself as it will have to be moved when I demolish the old garage in a few months time.

Maybe I need to concentrate on a few figures especially that roofer, just need to think up a suitable name for him. 

Jim