Hemyock - Down on the farm...

aberdare

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jim, good to see progress on Hemyock! I really like the view across the bridge and river to the station. There's a sense of real landscape in it. And your usual expertise with texture adds to it. More please! 

Thank you for all the likes etc, I certainly find that it helps keep the enthusiasm up and encourages me to post, I just hope that I can find enough time to make something worth posting.

Duncan – Thank you and it will be good to see you get started soon, at least I didn’t have to design anything (a track plan)first, I just thought I like that and made a start and despite a few mistakes on the way it all seems to be coming together.

Mikkel – “more please” You’ll have to be patient as I’m not the quickest modeller in the world and post very infrequently compared to some, but rest assured if I feel I have something worthwhile and I am free to post then I will but that grass at Hemyock is awful slow growing stuff at this time of year.

I’ve been tied to the house – not literally – for the last few days so took the opportunity to scratchbuild another miniature, this time a wheelbarrow so those loose bricks I’ve yet to make can be moved. I found a picture of one with a few details  I liked and set about it.

Here it is under construction.

post-13569-0-36023000-1390502038_thumb.jpg

The only thing was that I needed a wheel that was 6 – 7mm in diameter, now I know I had just made one of 12mm but this seemed a bit small to attempt so I had a look around and tried such things as the end of a paintbrush to make a wooden wheel but it just looked wrong.

The 12mm wheel.

post-13569-0-55215300-1390502109_thumb.jpg

I had nothing suitable though so thought I would give it a go.

I made the tyre OK by bending thin strip around a 6mm brush and setting with the old hot water trick and then using two thin bands to give it strength across the joints, these were kept opposite to each other.

But the spokes and hub – nightmare.

After a few failed attempts at making short spokes I made long ones glued to a brass tube – cyano – and when happy with the position flooded with more glue and later on smothered that with a blob of PVA, left it overnight and they were nice and firm in the morning.

post-13569-0-19839500-1390502209_thumb.jpg

All I had to do now was trim them, I thought if I position the tyre over the spokes and give a light spray with a paint can so as not to move it the positions for cutting would be marked, simple. No spray paint in a tin though, Oh well guess work it is then.

But now it is complete but before the final picture I would just like to add that this small, quick supposedly simple build had another earlier disaster when it disappeared from the work bench, I had to search for it but was unable to find it anywhere until I remembered I had Vacuumed the table of plastic trimmings that morning and YES it had gone up the pipe. Luckily I found all the bits and built it for a second time.

I think it was worth it though and I hope you agree.

post-13569-0-44947400-1390502274_thumb.jpg

post-13569-0-08220500-1390502369_thumb.jpg

Well enough fun and games for now and I’d better get back to that Engine shed I abandoned almost a year ago.

• Like 11

I read recently about a similar problem with spoked wheels. The author glued the spokes down on a flat piece of plastic and then cut to final shape. After adding the rim, he then cut away the fillets between the spokes to reveal the wheel. An idea for next time?  :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jim.

I've just spent a happy hour reading this thread from start to finish.

What wonderful modelling, whether in card or plastic, and some lovely looking scenery too.

I may be pinching some of your techniques, as you have ways of constructing buildings which I hadn't considered.

Superb stuff!

Al.

Billy – Yes there has been some progress but only since August when I finally got into the new shed after my break from modelling, looking forward to Doncaster next week so we’ll catch up then.

Al – Glad you enjoyed the read through and you’re quite welcome to use any methods you like, I probably copied and adjusted them to suit myself anyway.

Apologies for any lack of posts but we had severe communication issues in this part of the Village resulting in new poles and wiring all the way to the main road.

I’ve been progressing with the Engine shed that I last worked on last March. I last left it at this stage....

post-13569-0-91270700-1391289095_thumb.jpg

....plus a bit more the same month.

post-13569-0-32626300-1391289419_thumb.jpgpost-13569-0-51794200-1391289461_thumb.jpg

Even though it did get a roof, some slates and some vents these have all since been scrapped as I was not happy with them, I preferred making a fresh start on these rather than trying to repair/adjust them to suit.

I then fitted new roof beams and made a start on the planking in the same way as the carriage shed....

post-13569-0-76250300-1391289915_thumb.jpg

and with the old roof on just to see roughly what it may look like.....not good!!

post-13569-0-98458200-1391290023_thumb.jpg

The new roof is currently being covered with strips of plastic imitating slates but a lot of fixing and tidying up to do yet.

post-13569-0-64787300-1391291118_thumb.jpg

I will most likely add some rafters internally later depending on what can be seen through the door once the roof is completed, this is a slow job and with other things to do may take around two weeks. I also have one window to replace as it suffered a lot of distortion by being stored in the conservatory last year. Then it will be those unusual shaped doors for which I will have to dig out the old drawing I did – I wonder where I threw filed it?

I have decided to keep all the buildings within the station yard plastic for consistency and those outside will be from card. The reason being the buildings within the yard are mostly wooden and the internal detail can be seen and I like to make all that in plastic.

Hopefully I will keep the thread updated a bit more regularly this time.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jim, not to worry about infrequent posts, I'm just glad to see the layout still progressing and you are posting more often than many of us at the moment anyway. That wheelbarrow is a little work of art - and the fact that it's been inside a vacuum clearner only gives it a story to tell!

It's interesting that you are combining plastic and card buildings on the layout. I've been thinking about doing the same but was worried if the difference would be too striking. However your idea of keeping them in separate clusters is good.

• Like 1

G'day Jim,

The engine shed looks superb, fantastic work. The wheel barrow is another great little build as well.

Looking foward to the continuation of the engine shed.

Cheers, Gary.

ps. YMR could do with an update of this fantastic build...!

Thank you for the likes and the positive comments, it makes it all worthwhile.

As for the grouping of the buildings Mikkel, I read that on this forum somewhere and when I made comparisons against the refreshment rooms it did seem obvious, but then again I think it just depends on how critical you want to be. I know I am my own worst critic which is why some parts end up in the bin. I do need to have a mix of materials though as I have a box full of card, balsa and even some foam board, now what will that last one be used for I wonder?

Gary, thank you and you're right I need to update YMR, now I have reliable internet there are no excuses. I'll try and get that done in the next day or so.

In the meantime the marking,cutting and fixing of slates continues with one side almost complete, a few more nights should see it cracked.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jim, not to worry about infrequent posts, I'm just glad to see the layout still progressing and you are posting more often than many of us at the moment anyway. 

Absolutely.  Shows that you are taking time to get things right, and not rushing on to the next bit.

Some lovely modelling.

Cheers,

Dave.

• Like 1

Thanks Lee - I'm glad you enjoyed your read through, at least it's not a long thread yet as on a KL so it was quite quick to do. Yes I am feeling quite proud of it- does that mean a fall (failure) is coming, I hope not - and I hope to maintain the same standard through to completion so it's going to be a long slow burner. The few visitors it has had seem to have liked it as well including one not interested in Railways.

Dave - thanks, I know I've not taken my time to think things through or studied the photographs properly in the past and regretted it.

Jaz - Welcome and I can only hope to keep your interest for a lot longer yet.

A final thank you to Kenokie who increased my 'like' ratings considerably.

Another update due in about a week, Doncaster first.

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jim

If you keep posting the good stuff then I will keep hitting the like button :) as it makes more sense than repetitively typing "brilliant modelling" after nearly every modelling photo you post.

I will be at Doncaster with the OO Live Steam Club roadshow layout so if you get chance please call and say hallo.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Time to catch up on the progress of the engine shed.

I continued with the covering of the roof with slates until I reached the level where the vents were going to sit and would then be completed after the latter were fitted.

These had been made earlier and were much smaller in height than the first ones I made which were far too large, a trial fit was made and a few adjustments carried out before finally fixing into place.

Here are the vents fitted and the last few slates waiting fixing.

post-13569-0-24433000-1392493161_thumb.jpg

Once these were fitted it was a case of adding the ridge tiles to complete the roof assembly, these were made in the same style as the carriage shed earlier in the thread. I then gave it a quick colour wash of grey/black to highlight the gaps and any issues that may need addressing.

Coloured and ready for any tweaks and tidying up, such as flattening those raised slates.

post-13569-0-43053500-1392493228_thumb.jpg

post-13569-0-16833600-1392493263_thumb.jpg

I mentioned earlier that I also wanted to add some rafters and battens inside as these could be seen through the open doors when sitting on the layout, so I have just been fitting these to one half of the shed, the other half is still to be done. There are two windows to be replaced so please ignore the missing damaged windows seen as these will be replaced once I’ve finished all the roof work.

A couple of shots to show how it would appear, it looks as if I have to do more than first thought as it is surprising how far you can see inside. Oh well it’s only time and a few bits of plastic, I’m sure it will be worth it in the end.

post-13569-0-61399700-1392493313_thumb.jpg

post-13569-0-19271400-1392493354_thumb.jpg

I was wondering again on the external colour of the planks as it is difficult to guess from the photographs, it will more than likely be light stone again but I am always intrigued by the coloured postcard view.

I often wonder on whether the artist had firsthand knowledge of the location or as is most likely just used his imagination and some available reference material. ( see link, scroll down for image) http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/h/hemyock/index.shtml

Though it is dated before 1915 I think it is around 1904/5 as it looks to be shortly after the removal of the trees, what is interesting is the colour of the open wagon next to the cattle dock.

Right I’d better get back to those rafters, windows and of course the doors, it’ll need doors.

Chris - missed you at Doncaster when I visited your stand, another time maybe.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Not sure if I have mentioned it before Jim but I am seriously impressed by your buildings. Also was great catching up with you at Doncaster last week; was great to meet Chris and Billy too.

Cheers,

Jason.

Thanks Jason - funny that as I have always been impressed by yours ever since I started following your thread from the Mill build, maybe inspiration leads to creativity that leads to yet more inspiration, whatever it is as long as we can keep producing such models we will be happy, or will we?

Cheers Chris - I had seen that site and use it a lot for reference but the postcard interested me in the fact that I wondered when it was coloured and what knowledge the colourist had at that time, but we'll never know will we.

Other half of battens and rafters now completed.

• Like 1

Seeing your engine shed near completion encourages me to start on my Kelly Bray shed. This shed is looking the goods. Good to read that you started again on the roof vents. Can I ask what caused the damage to the windows ?? Just may help me avoid a similar incident !

Cheers, Gary.