Haymarket 64B

landscapes

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi

Photo enclosed of the first of five timber foot crossings giving access across the shed yard running lines.

Regards

David

IMG_6519.jpg

I bet he is not going to be long on the crossing.........:rolleyes:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jcarta said:

I bet he is not going to be long on the crossing.........:rolleyes:

Hi 

Thank you for your reply , but I can confirm that he is still there and perfectly safe for the time being as although all the track work is now live I only have three locomotives with digital chips fitted and as I do not have a controller at the present time all points are set in fixed positions at the moment and I have to be careful where I run to avoid any shorting.

Regards

David

• Like 1

Hi

I thought I would try a new view today, looking at high level across the main shed roof towards the east yard, this is the type of view you would get if taken from the very large coal tower.

This is fast forward to early 1962 when Deltic Diesels appeared at Haymarket marking the demise of steam, also we have a Class J83 visiting from St Margarets MPD which  can been seen on the shed.

Regards

David

D9003_IMG_6578B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Additional Text
  • Like 16

• 1 month later...

Hi 

Its been a month since my last input having been out of the UK, so I thought it was about time to add another photo.

Here we have a typical example of how a York based locomotive looks standing side by side with a Haymarket Top Link A4.

Regards

David

60501_IMG_6659B.jpg

• Like 13

1 minute ago, landscapes said:

Hi

This is a photo I have composed tonight especially to enter into a model railway photographic competition.

Regards

David

60501-IMG_6671B.jpg

That's brilliant. I think I can guess which competition.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

David,

As always, superb images and wonderful locomotives on display at your great evocation of Haymarket shed. Best of luck with the competition.

I am struggling through a Pro-scale V2 kit and the moment........

Kind regards,

Richard B

1 hour ago, 30368 said:

David,

As always, superb images and wonderful locomotives on display at your great evocation of Haymarket shed. Best of luck with the competition.

I am struggling through a Pro-scale V2 kit and the moment........

Kind regards,

Richard B

Hi Richard

Thank you and best of luck with the V2 as well.

Regards

David

Hi

Another photo of Class D11/2 62690 taken from a slightly different angle with two of Haymarket's Top Link A4's in the background.

I do think the D11/2's were lovely looking locomotives and the Bachmann model is in my opinion superb as well.

Regards

David

62690_IMG_6694B.jpg

• Like 9

Hi

Here we have Hornby Clan Class No 72005 about to leave Haymarket to run south.

The class were disliked by Haymarket Crews and although were allocated there on two separate occasions both did not last long.

Regards

David

72005_IMG_6728B.jpg

• Like 13

Hi

Last photo for today see's A2/3 60511 Airborne having just come off the turntable runs down past the shed down to the coaling tower and ash dispersal.

This is a Bachmann/G King conversion.

Regards

David

60511_IMG_6757B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Spelling
  • Like 14

Hi

Thompson A2/3 60511 Airborne has now moved onto one of the holding roads below the large coaling and water towers and stopped up next to a resident Gresley A3.

This was not an uncommon sight to see locomotives standing on these lines, why I do not know perhaps someone can advise?

It must have been a mouth watering sight for any trainspotters passing by the MPD.

Regards

David

60511_IMG_6786B.jpg

• Like 14

Roads for serviced and turned locos awaiting their next turn of duty, close to the main lines so relatively easy access to Waverley?

I'm not as familiar with the Edinburgh sheds as I am with the London sheds, there seem to be less photos and less written about them.

1 hour ago, JeffP said:

Roads for serviced and turned locos awaiting their next turn of duty, close to the main lines so relatively easy access to Waverley?

I'm not as familiar with the Edinburgh sheds as I am with the London sheds, there seem to be less photos and less written about them.

Hi jeffP

Thank you for your reply, coming from London myself I am also unfamiliar with Haymarket, Although I have learnt a lot about the MPD researching for the model layout and with a lot of help from fellow members who knew the depot.

But I agree with you I also believe they were laid up there ready for their next turn of duty, but by leaving that location to head for Waverley Station they would have missed the stores building which housed lamps and head boards.

But who knows it might have been a hop across a few lines for the crew to acquire the lamps, the head board fitting would have been a problem as the store building had a built in timber platform to give higher access to the locomotives.

Regards

David

Hi

I have finally finished the timber foot crossings to all the roads radiating out from the main shed building to give locomotives access to the main lines.

Thank God for Coffee Stirrers.

This gave MPD staff safe access to the depot from the main access road.

Not. Brilliant photo as taken on my IPhone.

Regards

Da I’d

DBC88DF1-FC1C-49B5-AFAE-C73553798668.jpeg

• Like 11

Hi

More photos of locomotives stabled in the holding sidings to the south of the MPD.

I have been advised by Eric Kidd I.e. 60027Merlin a fellow RMWeb member who has help me with my Haymarket layout on quite a few occasions that he believes locomotives are positioned there until there was free space for them to progress to the West end of the MPD.

Haymarket had a one way system for locomotives entering the MPD, they were turned on the turntable then they progressed on through to replenish coal and water supplies then onto the West End of the shed to await  there next turn of duty.

First photo we see two resident Haymarket locomotives.

Regards

David

60011_IMG_6836B.jpg

• Like 6