Portland Road

Swifty11

• 2 weeks later...

In that case, looks to be a very promising layout!

Now a follower,

Alex

Thanks for the folllow

Portland Road is in its last bit of planning so hopefully there wil be pics of baseboards soon.

Thanks, Swifty

• 2 weeks later...

A quick question,

Should Portland road go electric? (OLE) at the minute I'm thinking of the positives like a 350, (and a 325)

What do you think? I can't decide on it.

Portland Road has its first properly allocated bit of rolling stock, then northern rail class 156/4 in settle and Carlisle livery. It's set to have the full works. Weathering, Hurst models detailing, a snowplough and lights, in due course! Some class 153s are on the way as well. I have also ordered a DCC Sound class 67 in EWS livery which will come through Portland Road on a train into the oil depot.

I'll keep you posted, also, for a track plan on the layout, please view my layout update via my YouTube channel, a link is at the bottom of my post.

Thanks,

Swifty

sounds like from reading all the posts that its going to be a good layout especially given the layouts thatbhave given you inspiration. Do you plan tom exhibit portland road?

Erm...

Haven't decided yet. I would have to make it modular and it would be my first show layout but I would like to make it exhibition but it depends really, oh and I've added you as a friend.

Edit: as I'm now making the layout it will be the grand total of 15ft so no I cant

Hi swifty,good luck with the project, as one of the brains behind blackmill and the revamp of new bryford, im going to follow your project with some intrest.

just remember 2 things,

less is more.......... people feel the need to over fill the space with track work.......... station, loops, container crane, tmd, cement treminal, post office siding and a four track main line with overhead and working colour light signals all on a 12 foot base board!!!!

and plan as much as you can, .......... think about how its going to work and how your going to build it, and most importantly will you get fed up with it!!

all the best and good look

spike...... "flat over crest"

Hi swifty,good luck with the project, as one of the brains behind blackmill and the revamp of new bryford, im going to follow your project with some intrest.

just remember 2 things,

less is more.......... people feel the need to over fill the space with track work.......... station, loops, container crane, tmd, cement treminal, post office siding and a four track main line with overhead and working colour light signals all on a 12 foot base board!!!!

and plan as much as you can, .......... think about how its going to work and how your going to build it, and most importantly will you get fed up with it!!

all the best and good look

spike...... "flat over crest"

I love the location thing, 'far to close to Mick Bryan' I have decided to scrap the TMD and put a small oil depot in with a siding, like the one on new bryford but without it being steel. I plan on having 5 platforms, 2 mainline sections, 2 bays and 1 rarely used platform. Mostly 350s over flow for the mainline if a through train is due. Thanks for lots of helpful advice it is very much appreciated matey. By any chance are you the person I met whilst filming for my YouTube? If not sorry to confuse you. I'm building baseboards (Hopefully) Thursday as I have school holidays that week, will you be at mersyside on Blackmill? I had a fab time driving on it at Blackburn MRC, Darren recognised me from Stafford and let me have a go. Brilliant but very complicated.

To see the video update on the layout click the YouTube link at the bottom.

By any chance are you Darren, again if you are not, sorry again.

Thanks,

Swifty

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE!

The first update since the profile change,

The reason for the change from a large station to a DRS depot with a 1 platform station is simply because the track plan just didn't add up at all! So having had a look around RMWeb I found the excellent Warmington Depot, now sold so there is no longer any updates but the pictures are great, so also thinking that I like the idea of a TMD, looking a the Wells Green TMD sealed the deal, I went for it. I have 1 test baseboard which is 2ft by 4ft (?) I think so I've been using it to measure out widths, hopefully I will be building a few baseboards at the weekend, I plan to power the layout by Lenz 100 system as I had a go on Blackmill and that was powered by Lenz and I liked it so that's what I'm going withm it's DCC controlled, I will try and post a track plan but it won't let me post a track plan from word?

Anyway, a link to the video update coming soon...

Hi Swifty,

Great to hear that you are doing a depot :sungum: , was gutted when you said you were scrapping the TMD!

If you want some more inspiration I can strongly recommend a look at Carronvale T&RSMD on Rmweb. It is a great layout with a mixture of DMUs, wagons and locos. Also like the idea of a DRS depot - the depot scene is full of gold and maroon, so we need some variation in livery. That said, I am sticking EWS!

Alex

Hi Swifty,

Great to hear that you are doing a depot :sungum: , was gutted when you said you were scrapping the TMD!

If you want some more inspiration I can strongly recommend a look at Carronvale T&RSMD on Rmweb. It is a great layout with a mixture of DMUs, wagons and locos. Also like the idea of a DRS depot - the depot scene is full of gold and maroon, so we need some variation in livery. That said, I am sticking EWS!

Alex

Just trying to find out how to make a class 20/3 ( god help me!!) and modified class 37 ( again god help me!!) I think it's going to be a commission job and not a self done bodged job! To even out the traction I will have Colas, Fastline,West Coast Railways, DCR, Network rail and a bit of GBRF traction, I may have a crack at 2 euro EWS 66s and give then a good weathering and put them on the ends of RHTT train an them pop in for refuelling. I'll also be having a station so there will be variety there too

Just trying to find out how to make a class 20/3 ( god help me!!) and modified class 37 ( again god help me!!) I think it's going to be a commission job and not a self done bodged job!

There were a couple of magazine articles a while back on this subject (i'll rummage around in my back issues and try to find them). Plus I can recommend getting a copy of "Detailing & Modifying Ready To Run Locomotives in 00 Gauge" by George Dent. There is an in-depth guide to converting a 20 and a 47, as well as numerous other detailing projects which are guaranteed to inspire...

will go and find those articles,

Alex

Right then, the article is in Model Rail 157 June 2011. It is a conversion of a Bachmann 20 to a 20/3. well worth a look if you can find it.

Alex

I have seen the article but I'm not the best at scratch building and for my first loco project it's ambitious!

I have seen the article but I'm crap at scratch building and for my first loco project it's ambitious!

How about trying it first on an old Hornby 20 off ebay? And besides, there's always got to be a first project, though this might be jumping in at the deep end...

Alex

How about trying it first on an old Hornby 20 off ebay? And besides, there's always got to be a first project, though this might be jumping in at the deep end...

Alex

tell me about it! :)

i think a colas work station is where to start, there's a pic in an old Rail Express modeler or an NR test coach/structure gauging thing...

here is one done by a fello RMWebber...

post-3238-0-04073200-1296051878_thumb.jpg

i think a colas work station is where to start, there's a pic in an old Rail Express modeler or an NR test coach/structure gauging thing...

here is one done by a fello RMWebber...

Well, whatever you choose to do, I am sure that it will turn out fine (If it doesn't then some fixing (bodging) is needed! :butcher: )

But seriously, if it does go wrong there is most often a way around it.

Alex

Archived