Dapol N Gauge Class 22

TomE

Are they the parkwood kits from the NGS? How did you make the hoods?

Best regards,

Jeremy

Yes they are parkwood kits, on modified Farish 16ton mineral wagon chassis. The hoods are plasticard with a few layers of  'plasticard sludge' brushed on to give some texture.(chopped up pieces  melted in a small glass jar of liquid poly)

I have also just made up a rake of hoods from the Parkwood kits, using a Peco 9ft chassis. I made the hoods by first making a plasticard former then covering with masking tape folded to make the hood. Once painted and weathered with powders they look ok.

But I think Kernow will be supplying me with further wagons!

My blue'un dropped through the letter box this morning - very nice model and certainly worth the wait. It's a little growly when running but a bit of lube and running seems to be doing it wonders. Just need to start carving it in D6338 now.

Pix

• RMweb Gold

That sounds about right. I have just spent weeks building a rake of 21 of these! They will be going behind my farish 37s and forthcoming n gauge class 50 and 25.

Nice work Andy - still a big fan of Oldshaw me :yes:

What are you building in 2mm?...that viaduct behind looks tasty ;)

That sounds about right. I have just spent weeks building a rake of 21 of these! They will be going behind my farish 37s and forthcoming n gauge class 50

and 25.

100.jpg

101.jpg

In all fairness Andy, I don't think you'll need to worry about 'upgrading' those beauties, they look just as good if not significantly better than any RTR product could hope to from what I can see...

Nice one!

Benn.

Hattons are showing D6326 as "More than 10 in stock" still, but I'd bet that'll change soon.

Rang Hattons up this morning-got one due Monday plus chip-My local model shop didn't even know anything about it..................................

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mine landed a few hours ago and very good it is too , crying out for dirt and grime !! Big thanks to Dave and his gang in UK and China plus blokes who rowed across from China, has to be said a very good railbue - best yet I would say and hopefully Western will match - now which is to best model in 2013.  I can see that the GW branchine terminus having a diesel make over - these on milk and clays with blue bubbles, and Westerns on Summer dated trains with Farish Mk1s and 2s. Warships on green rakes for Waterloo.

Robert    

Hattons are showing D6326 as "More than 10 in stock" still, but I'd bet that'll change soon.

Hattons are already out of stock of D6326, so that took about 48 hours.  Same thing with the new Mk II A coaches.  To quote the character of Darius Jedburgh, "Get 'em while they're hot!"

My 22 came in the post today along with chip-a bit growly when first started running but it soon quietend down with a little oil and running. Hats off to Hattons!! Happy days..........

Straight from the box, I was instantly struck by just how tiny this model is; it makes a Hymek look like a giant. It is also incredibly cute goggleeyes.gif Who would have thought that! 

So I think Dapol have a winner here. The only quibble I have was that the bag of 'bits' was missing from mine. Hopefully our friends in Liverpool will correct this for me...

Anyway, here is a video of the little fella running on my layout wave.gif

modify_inline.gif

• RMweb Premium

I have had the pleasure of testing a Class 22 for a couple of months for Dave Jones on  my layout, Vale of Oxbury. She has a Digitrax  Chip fitted and has run extremely well. Now its run in she has been weathered and looks well in charge of the Milk empties. Carl

post-6860-0-11532200-1371415513_thumb.jpg

Don't want to just click 'like' cos I VERY like. Weathering is most excellent, I am looking forward to adding a green to my blue one.

Simon

Me too-when are the green ones out?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The green 22 arrived yesterday so as soon as I got home it was on the rolling road for a good hour after oiling. It was a bit hesitant in one direct at first but now runs very smoothly.

After running in a Bachmann 6 pin decoder was installed. Thought it would be too big but the body went back on fine. After changing the number and adding a tiny bit of inertia it ran superbly well.

I couldn't resist weathering it including painting the shiny spoked wheels. Another niggling thing on many N scale locos is being able to see the phosphor bronze vertical electrical pick up tabs on the bogies  so these got a touch of black paint.

This morning a little bit more touching up on the weathering and it now looks like it should do - dirty!!

I have fitted the supplied Easy shunt couplers but might try some short ones to see if the still allow the lco to haul rolling stock around the 11.5" radius curves in the fiddleyard.

Ian

The green 22 arrived yesterday so as soon as I got home it was on the rolling road for a good hour after oiling. It was a bit hesitant in one direct at first but now runs very smoothly.

After running in a Bachmann 6 pin decoder was installed. Thought it would be too big but the body went back on fine. After changing the number and adding a tiny bit of inertia it ran superbly well.

I couldn't resist weathering it including painting the shiny spoked wheels. Another niggling thing on many N scale locos is being able to see the phosphor bronze vertical electrical pick up tabs on the bogies  so these got a touch of black paint.

This morning a little bit more touching up on the weathering and it now looks like it should do - dirty!!

I have fitted the supplied Easy shunt couplers but might try some short ones to see if the still allow the lco to haul rolling stock around the 11.5" radius curves in the fiddleyard.

Ian

And how are you going to justify a 22 on Banbury ? - wormhole in the fabric of space/time :O

Got my green un a couple of weeks ago - runs very well straight out of the box. Crawls through all my pointwork without a hitch.

I thought the requirement to oil Dapol locos had ceased ?

• RMweb Gold

Well its like this:

When the Blue Pullman got preserved at Tyseley, so did a class 22 which is rather handy as they can be seen passing through Banbury!!

Actually its for a future South Western layout set in the early 1960's which will involve mogul N's,  Bullied light pacifics etc aswell as the hydraulics as they took over from steam.

It will be a set of 4 boards that will drop into the fiddleyard in place of Banbury / Santa Barbara. Its a few years away from being started though.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Ah, the mythical future layout excuse. Sounds like something from a Mornington Cresent game and would explain the HST hiding in my shed.

I picked one of these up last week and it runs perfectly. Gave it a touch of oil as being a good boy I always do what the instruction say and fits in perfectly. Just need the nxt green one to be released and I will just about have enough loco power for Hemerdon. Well I say enough, the HST is there because of my dream to have a mid 70's blue layout as the alternate era.

Archived