Dapol N Gauge Class 22

TomE

• RMweb Gold

Painted EPs on display at the International N Gauge Show. Looked very nice, and is complete with spoked wheels:

IMG_1650b.jpg

IMG_1662b.jpg

IMG_1625b.jpg

Excuse the photos, only had the iPhone with me!

Tom.

I think I heard DapolDave say that I was due at Ally Pally in March.

The blue one was a runner and very heavy.

The head codes will be black printed on to the plastic 'windows' with the letters and numbers left clear then the numbers will be printed in white.

Dave says this should be clearly visible when the lights are off and should still shine through which the lights on.

There will be head codes printed for various trains like china clay and general plus a few others that I can't remember at he moment.

The green one will definitely be making an appearance on my dairy layout!

Alistair

No, no, no, no!!!

I already have two time periods for my Cornish layouts (GWR and Br Blue). I can't afford the 60s as well! And I HAVE to have a 50 when its released.

Shall I just ask payroll to send my salary direct to Dapol and cut out the middle man?

• RMweb Premium

The 22s were a bit of a surprise and had enormous cuteness factor, especially in N!

The surprise being that anything so pig ugly (particularly in BFYE) can look so irresistibly appealing. I'm sure there's a slogan in there for the NGS: "Even North British diesels look cute in N Gauge" perhaps. I can certainly see an awful lot of N gauge WR branches hopping forward into the diesel age.

Really looking forward to this release. When I spoke to Dave about it yesterday, he said they'd be available at Warley; my only shocked response to that was, "F*cking H*ell..!". How quick?! Now as long as they run as good as they look (Or better than they look depending on your opinion of these locos!), then this will be a fantastic asset to any 60s-early 70s WR modeller. I'll start with 3 please, massively impressed.

• RMweb Gold

I've updated the photos now I've had chance to edit them slightly. One thing I did feel was that the finish of the BR blue version was an improvement on other recent Dapol releases, with a slightly glossier finish which for me improves the look no end.

Tom.

The surprise being that anything so pig ugly (particularly in BFYE) can look so irresistibly appealing. I'm sure there's a slogan in there for the NGS: "Even North British diesels look cute in N Gauge" perhaps. I can certainly see an awful lot of N gauge WR branches hopping forward into the diesel age.

Remember there is only two letters difference between "appealing" and "appalling". :D

Seriously though, I have been looking forward to these since Dapol first announced them. I have said I would buy one and I look forward to putting my money where mouth is.

• RMweb Gold

I saw these at TINGS and they're very impressive. They've really caught the look of the them just right. However, <initiate nit-picking, rivit-counting, pedantic b@st@rd mode> the green one seems to be missing the duck egg stripe along the bottom <nit-picking, rivit-counting, pedantic b@st@rd mode off>. Stuff like this really tempts one to move away from the larger scales doen't it?

Hi Nidge,

Who knows? you might get your wish for both in 2mm, 4mm AND 7mm, as the forthcoming model of the 52 in 7mm gives me great ideas about doing a definitive 7mm one.

cheers

Dave

What a little cracker! Very tempting, despite my yearnings to carry on in 4mm / 7mm... well done Dave and team!

• RMweb Premium

Dapol are also modifying the lighting circuit design with these models - gone are the silly wires between body and chassis.

Dave kindly let me have a close look at the class 22 which has LEDs mounted on the chassis and uses light-pipes to take the light to where it's needed. Hopefully the Western will be of a similar design.

With the Warship & class 14 from Farish, and the Hymek and 22 from Dapol there should be a few nice BR(W) layouts appearing before too long. I'd love to see something big and tall - a Welsh valley done along similar lines to Chee Tor. Lots of terraces clinging to the hillside with coal and steel trains rattling past.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

No, no, no, no!!!

Shall I just ask payroll to send my salary direct to Dapol and cut out the middle man?

Agree - though Farish has a garnishment on mine, too. Seriously, too many new models coming out all at once between the two main N scale manufacturers. I was not expecting the 22 for a some time. It sounds completely daft to complain about this but while I'm happy to support the manufacturers who support the hobby when I can, I could support them more if the pace of new releases was dialed back a notch or three and spread out a bit more over time.

These EPs look fantastic but question: Is the partial grey roof of the green one per prototype (i.e., no grey over the cabs)? My reference library on 22s is limited.

Matt

Archived