MRJ 217

Guest stuartp

Why is it that every issue of MRJ seems to stir up these sort of arguments - almost without fail from those who want to knock it.

Jerry

Which argument - the one about signal boxes or the comment about one-upmanship, either argument is irrelevant to criticism of the magazine, therefore I detect no evidence of 'knocking' merely a faint whiff of hubris.

Tim

AND I still think the trees on Fence Houses are superb!

Yes, I think they are too! Alan Pearson certainly has a gift when it comes to scenic modelling. I understand he'll be helping with Fence Houses at the Manchester show, possibly 'out front' on the public side of the layout, so there's a good chance there for anyone interested to ask him about his techniques.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Which argument - the one about signal boxes or the comment about one-upmanship, either argument is irrelevant to criticism of the magazine, therefore I detect no evidence of 'knocking' merely a faint whiff of hubris.

Tim

Well the one about signalling isn't although it does stem from something in an earlier issue however there definitely hasn't been anything recently in there about signalboxes which I can recall as prompting a debate about accuracy. Personally I can see nothing wrong in commenting about the content of a magazine be it a matter of expressing like or dislike for a subject covered or more critically expressing concern about the accuracy of something mentioned in an article and, hopefully, correcting any such errors.

As far as I'm aware magazines other than MRJ have been the subject recently of comments about the accuracy of information contained in articles and such critique is - in my experience of railway modelling (and other) magazines - a long established process albeit one which has now spread to media such as this. We have a choice of either letting errors go or making others aware of them and, hopefully, offering more accurate explanations in their stead.

So, how do you work a full size signalbox?

Sorry, couldn't resist!

(snipped)

(If it's not to far off the topic)

If it was box that was closed when I arrived, I'd look for the door key, usually hidden somewhere, open the door and let myself in hoping that either the heater had been left on or the fire, which would have been banked up, was still lit.

Give the fire a poke to get some life into it and put some coal on.

Put kettle on, make cup of tea.

Ring boxes on either side and switch box into circuit if no line clears on block, sending 5-5-5.

Sit down, read paper, do crossword puzzle, wait for block instruments to ring.

Accept offered trains and pass on (if line is clear to do so).

Clear signals.

Struggle with crossword puzzle.

Put signals back to danger.

Accept more trains

Clear more signals

Pray there's no block failures or incidents.

Chuck crossword puzzle in bin.

Make another brew (or two)

Get relieved by mate.

Go home

Do it all again tomorrow (coz were daft like that!)

I've only been doing this for 36 years and the routine hasn't changed much,

yet..................

Get relieved by mate.

Go home

I have only been doing it for 33 years, so I'm a bit of a beginner, but the most important part of the job, is your No2 on the list GET RELIVED. I need to get home to the "Wild Woman".Mick.

• RMweb Gold

You forgot the lates version

Relieve mate (at one box, Deb's sister)

work box

Mate arrives from school

Get mate to get paper from Levers

Struggle with crossword

Eat ham butties and drink tea

work box

Fail at crossword

switch out

Go home

• RMweb Premium

If it was box that was closed when I arrived, I'd look for the door key, usually hidden somewhere, open the door and let myself in hoping that either the heater had been left on or the fire, which would have been banked up, was still lit.

Give the fire a poke to get some life into it and put some coal on.

Put kettle on, make cup of tea.

Ring boxes on either side and switch box into circuit if no line clears on block, sending 5-5-5.

Sit down, read paper, do crossword puzzle, wait for block instruments to ring.

Accept offered trains and pass on (if line is clear to do so).

Clear signals.

Struggle with crossword puzzle.

Put signals back to danger.

Accept more trains

Clear more signals

Pray there's no block failures or incidents.

Chuck crossword puzzle in bin.

Get relieved by mate.

Go home

I've only been doing this for 36 years and the routine hasn't changed much,

yet..................

Brilliant!

I will try this out on Leighton Buzzard tomorrow.

If any paying punters start moaning that I am sitting doing a crossword instead of driving trains, I will tell them that it is all in the pursuit of realism and I was told to do it by a real signalman. :sarcastic:

• RMweb Gold

Tim

No not hubris Tim just tired of MRJ being constantly knocked and anyone who dares mention they like it or write for it being accused of elitism, arrogance or somehow putting it on a pedastal. I mentioned that I made those comments in MRJ to try and dispel the notion that it is somehow elitist or on any sort of pedastal but it obviously didn't work.

Quite honestly, I give up.

Jerry

Hi,

I just wonder why there seems to be a need to define one's self by stating that they have bought MRJ from the first issue or that one has been published in MRJ, does this add to one's credentials, is there a need to be 'part' of MRJ's fabric?

It is just another model railway magazine.

Tim

Tim,

I have put a lot of thought into my reply to this.

Like several others, I have been getting MRJ for a long time - since number 1 in fact. I walked into a Newsagency in Crows Nest (NSW, Australia) and saw it on the shelves. I picked it up, looked through and was stunned. Why? because it reflected what I aspired to do, what i enjoyed reading and what i found inspiring. I managed to track down number 0 not long after but since then MRJ has been the one modelling magazine I have purchased constantly. Yes, I purchase others if they have something that interests me, but with the exception of the late, lamented MORILL, BRMin its early days and Narrow Gauge and Industrial modelling, I have not purchased consecutive issues of any other model railway magazines since 1985. I am certainly not blind to the occasions when MRJ has lost its way a bit (IMHO) but I have still found that every issue has something that appeals to me. So, in my eyes it is not just another magazine and especially so because of the modelling books that have spun off from it. Layout design - Barry Norman and Iain Rice, building track - Iain Rice, Weathering - Martin Welch, building locos - Guy Williams...need I go on?

Regards,

Craig W

I dont think the MRJ gets constantly knocked at all.

Sometimes tho, it is easy to forget that it is the printed word and not gospel, and even the MRJ (and those who write for it) get things wrong, there I've said it!

Of all the MRJ's I have read (yes I have them all to :scratchhead: ) there has never been anyone words within declaring its 'elitism' that I have see.

Now and then tho, there has been the odd article that might, just might suggest otherwise but what it has consistently done is to inspire and in a way to promote good practice.

Nothing wrong with that, but like another 'holy book' we cant take everything thats within it as being factually correct, after all, even contributors to MRJ are human after all. or so I believe! ;)

• RMweb Gold

Sometimes tho, it is easy to forget that it is the printed word and not gospel, and even the MRJ (and those who write for it) get things wrong, there I've said it!

Abolutely correct Rat, it often gets it wrong, as do we all. All I and others have said is that it is our prefered read - thats all - no more, no less.

Jerry

Hi,

Actually no one was 'knocking' MRJ but comment was made about the rather odd habit of claiming a lifetime's devotion from issue one. - That is the source of the hubris much as dropping the passing comment about 'in all my years lecturing in modern history' does this add gravitas to the situation?

Actually no one cares if anyone has been a subscriber in MRJ, after all it is only a model railway magazine.

Tim

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Actually no one was 'knocking' MRJ but comment was made about the rather odd habit of claiming a lifetime's devotion from issue one. - That is the source of the hubris much as dropping the passing comment about 'in all my years lecturing in modern history' does this add gravitas to the situation?

Actually no one cares if anyone has been a subscriber in MRJ, after all it is only a model railway magazine.

Tim

The reason for mentioning lecturing was because I taught left and right wing political theory. If you had bothered to read the context in which I made the comment instead of just looking for a means to throw insults around you might have worked it out for yourself.

Jerry

Jerry

The reason for mentioning lecturing was because I taught left and right wing political theory. If you had bothered to read the context in which I made the comment instead of just looking for a means to throw insults around you might have worked it out for yourself.

Jerry

Jerry,

Not an insult merely an observation, after all, you raised the issue.

Are you normally so sensitive to comment? If this is a trigger-point for you, then I can only apologise for daring to make an observation.

My point that this issue of MRJ does not inspire me as have earlier issues still stands otherwise I withdraw from this rather heated thread.

Tim

• RMweb Gold

Jerry

Jerry,

Not an insult merely an observation, after all, you raised the issue.

Are you normally so sensitive to comment? If this is a trigger-point for you, then I can only apologise for daring to make an observation.

My point that this issue of MRJ does not inspire me as have earlier issues still stands otherwise I withdraw from this rather heated thread.

Tim

Likewise,apologies Tim,

yes I am a little sensitive at the moment for other reasons. That said I did not like the accusation of hubris. I have been desperately trying to make the point that, like you, I see MRJ as just another mag - it just happens to be my favourite - not arrogant, elitist or anything else. I have obviously failed miserably in this. Mentioning I bought it from issue 0 was simply meant to highlight the fact I like it - nothing else- its not a badge of honour just a statement of fact.

On the current issue, I thought it was a rather good one and better than 216 which, for my taste, was a bit GWR 4mm centred. Which just goes to highlight differing tastes.

regards Jerry

Interesting to note the swipes being taken at MRJ (and I have about ten copies of MRJ since issue #0 and none of the mainstream mags for a few years). From a railway interest, WSP has always published books/mags of railway interest, ranging from the prototype to modelling. Of course, should anyone disagree, then say so ...

Errors will obviously creep into the final product - looking at GWRJ over the years, these are dealt with in the letters pages, and most interestingly, there is little parsimony when it comes to clarification on points. Looking at the various publishers, WSP are doing a much better job than others, especially from an historical viewpoint. You pay your monies and you make your choice... dilbert

Archived