clerestory coaches on GE in BR days

snowy1051

Hello, this is my first post and I'm intrigued as to how it will work out. Whilst researching GE lines I can run my ex LMS locos on, I came across 2 photos of an A5 working a New Holland to Immingham Dock stopper. The train consisted of 3 coaches and a van and one of the outer coaches was a brake 3rd clerestory. The shot is dated June '52. My question is, just how long might this particular clerestory worked in BR days, what was its livery and running number, oh yes, and its origination? Also, are we allowed to mention the likes of ebay? Whilst trawling ebay.ca (we may well move over there soonish) I came across a 00 gauge 4-4-0 LNER tankie by the Leeds Model Company. sort of attached to a "coal cart" as the adverstiser puts it. :) Obviously this is a very old model, but what caught my eye was a scrawling on the left hand tank side. One says "MRC Feb '60" and the other "RM Dec '61". I can only assume these marks refer to the magazines depicted by the initials. I used to have the Dec '61 RM but long ago had a clear out. (I've just given away my age group, yep 68 and retired). If anyone is interested the item number is :-251148452376 and is in Vancouver, Canada. Does anyione think that this model may well have featured in an article in either if these magazines?

Thanks for any help that may come my way as a result of this posting.

New Holland to Immingham is very firmly GC, is it not? GC clerestories certainly survived into BR days but so did GE ones and in both cases would probably be brown and not repainted before scrapping. It would be more helpful if you could say where the photo was published.

What LMS locos are we looking at? The M &*GN seems the obvious place to look if you want to mix ex-LMS and ex-LNER types, although the LT&S lines also spring to mind.

That Ebay auction is a tank loco with the tender from something else. I'd be more inclined to suspect the magazines contained articles pertinent to the loco, if there is any connection at all.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I came across the 2 photos of 69820 in different magazines. In Steam Days of July 2006 on page 431 is a photo by T.J.Edgington of said A5 standing just arrived from New Holland. I assume Mr. Edgington had ridden the train as the other photo, in a different mag, shows the engine at the other end, having run round. He must have rejoined the train, as there is no shot of the engine working. The date is June 3rd, 1952. Regarding the brown livery of the stock, as I am new to anything Eastern and am modelling early 50's BR, what shade or number of paint (Railmatch, Humbrol etc) should I look out for?

I am indeed looking at the M &GN, tho' the more western end of the line, Bourne/Saxby area. As I have only RTR locos, we are looking at the obligatory B12 plus an N2 (I have seen a photo, by Dr. Ian Allan of an N2 on GE lines near Manningtree), an ex Midland 3F, Ivatt 4MT & 2MT 2-6-0's and a few others that modellers licence I'm sure would allow. :)

Re the ebay loco, I take your point, but why scratch it so permanently on the loco?

I don't have either of those photos but drawing on what I can recollect of clerestory coaches I think a BT is more likely to have been ex-GC than ex-GE.

If that is the case Perseverance used to do some kits for these vehicles and I believe have started production again recently. Have a search on the forum for details.

The brown colour is a bit subjective; Larry G (Coachmann) uses Precision Track Dirt (number nine hundred and something) which gives a very pleasing shade of brown.

I used it on this:

100_6231.jpg

... which is a GE clerestory, a luggage composite built from a Bill Bedford kit. Going on the evidence of the photos I've seen this was the most common GE clerestory in the early BR period.

I don't have either of those photos but drawing on what I can recollect of clerestory coaches I think a BT is more likely to have been ex-GC than ex-GE.

If that is the case Perseverance used to do some kits for these vehicles and I believe have started production again recently. Have a search on the forum for details.

The brown colour is a bit subjective; Larry G (Coachmann) uses Precision Track Dirt (number nine hundred and something) which gives a very pleasing shade of brown.

I used it on this:

1006231w.jpg

... which is a GE clerestory, a luggage composite built from a Bill Bedford kit. Going on the evidence of the photos I've seen this was the most common GE clerestory in the early BR period.

Super stuff, thank you very much. Snowy.

Not a clerestory, but a GE coach in the early BR period. Stratford's interpretation of LNER brown was never more than approximate - I suspect that in the early LNE period they had barrels of the GE teak brown left lying around after the decision had been made to go all crimson in 1919. This was much more golden than the rather dull LNE colour. In the later LNE period and through to the late 50s photographs show the colour could vary from golden to a red brown to almost chocolate, presumably depending on the amount of black paint that was added to make it go further. For this I used Precision Phoenix LNE brown and darkened it with weathering which was wiped off with moistened cotton buds, then given a light misting again.

e62444e_01.jpg

Hello, this is my first post and I'm intrigued as to how it will work out. Whilst researching GE lines I can run my ex LMS locos on, I came across 2 photos of an A5 working a New Holland to Immingham Dock stopper. The train consisted of 3 coaches and a van and one of the outer coaches was a brake 3rd clerestory. The shot is dated June '52. My question is, just how long might this particular clerestory worked in BR days, what was its livery and running number, oh yes, and its origination?

This coach would have lasted not more than 2-3 years after the photo was taken. The livery was plain brown similar to the GE models above. The origin can be seen from the roof shape below the clerestory, if it was flat with curved corners the coach was built for the GC and if it had a continuous curve (arc roofed) it was built for the NER. Both types were know to be in the area at the time. As for running number we need a good bit more information before that could be determined. There was a pair of GE coaches, similar to the one shown by Buckjumper, that ran the Grimsby-Barton, and probably other services, around this period.

Many thanks to all who have replied to my original query. Excellent and very useful info. Those coaches are gorgeous. My next question is ...as my resources are somewhat limited, is it possible to convert a Tri-ang/Hornby B12 into a D16? Body only job and fit it to a 4-4-0 chassis. Snowy.

Here's one GER clerestory that didn't get into BR traffic, though it was still in existence in the 1970s:

post-1877-0-21981800-1500644534_thumb.jpg

I photographed it at North Woolwich, in the coal yard, around 1973. Unfortunately it was burnt out by vandals a few years later. The side close to the wall was still in LNER brown. Somewhere I have a drawing I did, based on measurements I took, that may have a note of the number - there were still visible markings, though it might just be 'LNER'.

Archived