• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Downendian said:

When you’re in England Mike an invite is always there.

35 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

It certainly was a very pleasant afternoon/evening Neil. Thanks for having us over! 

Those rakes of PW wagons are impressive for sure, glad you hear the herrings are behaving. The whole layout looks excellent, can’t wait to visit again. 

Sharons lovely cheesecake! Teri will make some shortbread when you are over Mike

Gentlemen you are far too kind.

Now for the bad news, I'm over for 15 days from the 21st of this month!!

Ostensibly for Stafford and my granddaughters birthday, but, have railcard will travel!!

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

8 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Ostensibly for Stafford and my granddaughters birthday, but, have railcard will travel!!

Mike.

If you're at Stafford on the Saturday.......

......hide 🤣

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

PM sent Mike 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

D7026 and D7029 approaching bodywork completion. Still a few tasks to do, add wipers, a few handrails/ window struts plus some touch up to the paintwork (note to self,  fitting  flush glazing and  headcodes can cause damage) they both probably should have had another coat of varnish. The Hornby window surrounds were especially problematic as they are a pig to get paint to key properly to. I’ve fitted some Heljan cab inserts at the far ends of the models, only slight surgery needed to get them to fit the Hornby bodyshell.
D7029 is my Hornby D7063 conversion of 1974 vintage, whilst it does not have the finesse of the Heljan bodyshell I’m generally quite pleased with it.

Now to the chassis, I’ve just fitted screw couplings and realised that one of my spare chassis has the original grubby brass wheels, I might have a source of new wheels, assuming the Heljan class 26/33 wheelsets are the same as the Hymek.

Time to move back to wagonry, the next batch of MSVs arrived a couple of days ago.

Neil

9DB80BB3-72FA-49E7-A05F-741CBCEB9133.jpeg.0ec7463cd04bafe61957ef5f238e349f.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
On 04/09/2022 at 23:20, Downendian said:

Running trials of the rake of 18 black Herrings this afternoon/evening. Two further gulf red wagons await completing. I’m pleased to say that despite some pointwork requiring attention (stalling on frog-juiced frogs??), just two wagons were put on the naughty step. One has been resolved, ( brake rodding was rubbing against an axle)and the other appears to have the same issue. Both had a pronounced wobble when running. D6314 did the honours of which I’m yet to complete, just requiring painting of green buffer cowls to blue and buffer beams to black and a bit of weathering.

Pretty pleasing, and the whole rake is fitted with instanters, which are a pig to couple up but I’m getting quite adept at doing so now. They behaved impeccably, and the close coupling achieved is an absolute joy to behold once  the derailing was cured. The rake is now running much more sweetly as I guess the bearings have bedded into the weathering grot that inevitably penetrated them. I’ll add a black or gulf red shark to the tail of the rake too. Excuse the detritus in the back and foreground, layout still much in progress.

I and my lovely wife had the great pleasure of the company of Phil and Teri Bullock for dinner last night. Phil has witnessed my chaotic layout room which is slowly taking shape since retiring four years ago. A thoroughly enjoyable weekend.

Neil

AFFB7CF4-F1A8-404F-B607-8A06CA1DF48C.jpeg.31f7889c1db158b4764c20167264e28d.jpeg

B1E22F15-5188-4696-86BD-F9B83DEEF164.jpeg.c7bdf3e1db20ced5600df14845b40002.jpeg

Sorry to go back a page, but that is a cracking rake of wagons sir! But I'm wondering if the idea of a shark at the rear is appropriate? As a brake vehicle I believe that they weren't usually classed as for that use (well round here on the Eastern anyway!) as the wheelbase was so short the Guards objected to travelling in them! So you would probably need a real van behind it. 

The last time a heard of a shark running around here (About 9 years ago) it was being used to house a shunter to supervise a propelling move from King's Lynn to Middleton Towers sand loading point, while the loop at there was out of action. DB would only authorise it to run at 20mph because of the wheelbase, which somewhat increased the journey time from New England at Peterborough to King's Lynn! I bet it was the last time it was used, and its probably been scrapped now!

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks  Andy for your comments and for looking in,

Of course I’m modelling 40-50 years ago when Sharks were used to spread ballast, dropped by Herrings and other ballast wagons. One shark photo I have even has “return to Yate” marked, almost certainly used on the Tytherington branch which I’m modelling, and Herrings were used on the branch with ballast from the quarry there.

I’m pretty sure a shark is behind this Hymek, and the look I’m after.  (Chris Williams, Flickr). Note another brake van at the other end.

BEYER-PEACOCK HYMEK D7032

A few other ballast spreading brake vans were in use also in this period with ex-SECR and LNER ballast brakes making it well into the 1970s. Eg. Curly42 on Flickr a Hymek at Horton road, a lovely shot of a Hymek with Herrings in tow.

Class 35 Passing Horton Road.

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

In that first photo, I'm hazarding a guess that its a normal traffic brake at the rear (theres no evidence of the plough ends by the footboards) so that would confirm that Sharks weren't used as such...

But, as you say it was a long time ago, and finding photos of the rear of trains would be a challenge!

Andy G

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well a daily routine of a few hours per day modelling eventually got the two Hymeks done.

D7026 and D7029 front-back. A huge effort on D7029- a Hornby bodyshell on a Heljan chassis which fits perfectly.

Briefly, remodelled cab roof and windows, new horns, Shawplan roof fan and grille, fettled Heljan cab inserts, floor level door handles added, roof lifting rings added, handrails, window struts, marker lights, Shawplan numerals, Shawplan wipers,  complete repaint and mild weathering as it would have looked in July 1974 when I first saw the prototype. Precision label headcodes, 3A40 one end, the most likely service it was operating the day I saw it, a Cardiff- Paddington parcels service. Flush glazed - had to repeat this several times and  still not 100% happy with them. Fitted with Accurascale screw couplings and Shawplan/Heljan pipe work. The Heljan bodyshell wins hands down in the cab window area - and I won’t be attempting another Hornby conversion for sure. D7029 was a former D7063 Hornby Hymek I received for my 13th birthday in 1974, upgraded as I just couldn’t consider the thought of binning it.

D7026 was a more simpler conversion using a spare Heljan bodyshell, fan grille, floor level door handles, new horns etc added as above. Railtec transfers including the four D7026 numerals- much easier to apply but not as crisp as Shawplan numerals. It’s absolutely essential if you use railtec numerals to varnish them afterwards- one detached in the process of setting up the spray booth.

94A84358-5CB1-4FAE-B132-4D4A933DA2F5.jpeg.550660d1591402e05e2c013c844e2fee.jpeg

next in line for workshop attention was 31 309, one of Bath roads 31/1s back in 1974 and replacements for the rapidly diminishing Hymek fleet. This was a spare Hornby bodyshell that was returned to me when I’d sent back my two Mazak rot infested 31 270s. 
It sits on a Heavily modified Lima 31 chassis which has been double motored with Hornby railroad class 66 motor bogies, fitted with TTS sound and again Accurascale screw couplings which look much better than Smiths which my spares box has many. I’m still to tackle the headcodes and add more pipe work. A lot of fettling required to get the ride height correct, but it does run well. I shamelessly copied the Kier Hardy EM gauge site method for Lima 31 conversion - but used the spare Hornby body instead. Several Lima 31s still to do - time will tell if this chassis cuts the mustard - I’ve preordered one Accurascale 31 and likely to get a blue 31/4 too. Only drawback with the railroad motor bogies is the dreaded traction tyres - I’ll see how this goes.

980114DE-04C1-4913-AD07-B209828B261A.jpeg.7cb843f6903262c42dc8fbc350fcf5e2.jpeg

finally two Hornby sharks completed in gulf red - after eventually obtaining modelmaster transfers. I was rather pleased with their application as no carrier film is visible (at least to my eyes) used the tried and tested gloss varnish, decals applied using decalfix followed by Matt varnish. They will now be incorporated into my ballast rakes of catfish/herring/dogfish/mermaids etc. still weathering to do on the rooves as they look far too clean.489C5EC2-48B0-4635-AC17-27F18CA47DE1.jpeg.555cf7799e6ad7221f658437b88d08e5.jpeg

Today though my modelling time was replaced by rig-tying for my carp fishing trip tomorrow. My next set of works will be the MSV rake, shortly followed by a centre car for my 2H to become a 3H.

excuse the photography -poor lighting and an iPad camera/editing. Must get the SLR out and proper lighting rig.

Neil 

Edited by Downendian
Typos plus 31 309 not 304
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Downendian said:

Well a daily routine of a few hours per day modelling eventually got the two Hymeks done.

D7026 and D7029 front-back. A huge effort on D7029- a Hornby bodyshell on a Heljan chassis which fits perfectly.

Briefly, remodelled cab roof and windows, new horns, Shawplan roof fan and grille, fettled Heljan cab inserts, floor level door handles added, roof lifting rings added, handrails, window struts, marker lights, Shawplan numerals, Shawplan wipers,  complete repaint and mild weathering as it would have looked in July 1974 when I first saw the prototype. Precision label headcodes, 3A40 one end, the most likely service it was operating the day I saw it, a Cardiff- Paddington parcels service. Flush glazed - had to repeat this several times and  still not 100% happy with them. Fitted with Accurascale screw couplings and Shawplan/Heljan pipe work. The Heljan bodyshell wins hands down in the cab window area - and I won’t be attempting another Hornby conversion for sure. D7029 was a former D7063 Hornby Hymek I received for my 13th birthday in 1974, upgraded as I just couldn’t consider the thought of binning it.

D7026 was a more simpler conversion using a spare Heljan bodyshell, fan grille, floor level door handles, new horns etc added as above. Railtec transfers including the four D7026 numerals- much easier to apply but not as crisp as Shawplan numerals. It’s absolutely essential if you use railtec numerals to varnish them afterwards- one detached in the process of setting up the spray booth.

next in line for workshop attention was 31 304, one of Bath roads 31/1s back in 1974 and replacements for the rapidly diminishing Hymek fleet. This was a spare Hornby bodyshell that was returned to me when I’d sent back my two Mazak rot infested 31 270s. 
It sits on a Heavily modified Lima 31 chassis which has been double motored with Hornby railroad class 66 motor bogies, fitted with TTS sound and again Accurascale screw couplings which look much better than Smiths which my spares box has many. I’m still to tackle the headcodes and add more pipe work. A lot of fettling required to get the ride height correct, but it does run well. I shamelessly copied the Kier Hardy EM gauge site method for Lima 31 conversion - but used the spare Hornby body instead. Several Lima 31s still to do - time will tell if this chassis cuts the mustard - I’ve preordered one Accurascale 31 and likely to get a blue 31/4 too. Only drawback with the railroad motor bogies is the dreaded traction tyres - I’ll see how this goes.

finally two Hornby sharks completed in gulf red - after eventually obtaining modelmaster transfers. I was rather pleased with their application as no carrier film is visible (at least to my eyes) used the tried and tested gloss varnish, decals applied using decalfix followed by Matt varnish. They will now be incorporated into my ballast rakes of catfish/herring/dogfish/mermaids etc. still weathering to do on the rooves as they look far too clean.489C5EC2-48B0-4635-AC17-27F18CA47DE1.jpeg.555cf7799e6ad7221f658437b88d08e5.jpeg

Today though my modelling time was replaced by rig-tying for my carp fishing trip tomorrow. My next set of works will be the MSV rake, shortly followed by a centre car for my 2H to become a 3H.

excuse the photography -poor lighting and an iPad camera/editing. Must get the SLR out and proper lighting rig.

Neil 

Great work Neil . Fishing certainly eats in to modelling time, will be up the Wye again tomorrow if the river is in good nick

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Downendian said:

next in line for workshop attention was 31 304, one of Bath roads 31/1s back in 1974 and replacements for the rapidly diminishing Hymek fleet. This was a spare Hornby bodyshell that was returned to me when I’d sent back my two Mazak rot infested 31 270s. 

Neil 

You've probably done this already, but it's worth checking on the remotored 31 that on each bogie the traction tyres sit on opposite sides. It helps pick-up's a lot if they do, otherwise one side really struggles. I've noticed Hornby seem quite willy nilly as to how the axles are put in at the factory.

John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks John - I’ve just checked there’s 2 tyres per bogie one each side, so 4 in total. The pick ups seem to be working fine, and I may well install a home made stay alive as I’ve already got capacitors, resistors and diodes of appropriate flavours. Plus there’s a bit of room. I’ve got to do more more on the internals anyway as I’ve ordered some  L-section to strengthen the motor bogie cradle joints as one had come loose during all the fiddling taking the body off multiple times.

Neil 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Downendian said:

Thanks John - I’ve just checked there’s 2 tyres per bogie one each side, so 4 in total. The pick ups seem to be working fine, and I may well install a home made stay alive as I’ve already got capacitors, resistors and diodes of appropriate flavours. Plus there’s a bit of room. I’ve got to do more more on the internals anyway as I’ve ordered some  L-section to strengthen the motor bogie cradle joints as one had come loose during all the fiddling taking the body off multiple times.

Neil 

My TTS Limby Brush 2 has been converted to EM with Gibson coach wheels and happily drags 8 coaches around the train set. Unless you've got some ferocious curves I'd ditch the traction tyres personally.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Waste of good modelling time, pah!, you've got a layout to finish.

Mike.

Where do you think the herrings, salmons and trouts come from then ? 😀

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

In other news, thanks to your (unrealised?) encouragement, 6 Herring are now painted and await buffers, (which I now realise I haven't got enough of), couplings, transfers, (which I swear I got some from CCT, but it seems not), and weathering.

Mike.

I’ve certainly got enough spare transfers for what you need for 6 wagons  Mike, happy to wing them over to Spain. I’ve got loads of “empty to…” transfers too. Drop me a PM what you need and we can sort. 
I’m certainly not going to build any more Herrings - not enough space for a start.

Neil 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Downendian said:

I’ve certainly got enough spare transfers for what you need for 6 wagons  Mike, happy to wing them over to Spain. I’ve got loads of “empty to…” transfers too. Drop me a PM what you need and we can sort. 
I’m certainly not going to build any more Herrings - not enough space for a start.

Neil 

Nor me! Hope to pick up some FOD ballast for loads soon….

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Nor me! Hope to pick up some FOD ballast for loads soon….

I should say of course that some started out in the Churchdown painting shops, which kindly donated them in the first place, hope you don’t mind Phil. I had bought a few more sets though as all mine are marked “empty to Tytherington” 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Downendian said:

I should say of course that some started out in the Churchdown painting shops, which kindly donated them in the first place, hope you don’t mind Phil. I had bought a few more sets though as all mine are marked “empty to Tytherington” 

Of course not! Had contributions from and Done swapsies with Mike myself…

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Running trials yesterday and today with D7026/9 and 31 309. Some minor glitches (including the schoolboy error of fitting the chip in D7029 the wrong way round) but the Heljan hymek chassis were bomb proof and smooth and silky as always. One was second hand, fitted with new wheels and one bought brand new a few years ago now. Not so for 31 309, hesitant and some clear indication that the pick ups are inadequate. It got progressively better with running in, but not acceptable to me, so it’s looking like a rewheeling job plus extra pick ups to the centre axles. Those traction tyres just have to go. Soldering iron had to come out too to reattach wires that had come loose. However I won’t give up on the repowering my old Lima models this way if 31 309 turns out well finally.

Meanwhile a scenic interlude and built six pine trees (loosely spruce or larch), planted in a row behind the signal box. This I’ve read, mirrors GWR practise where rows of pines were planted near stations. My South Gloucestershire woodland scenic will get a conifer addition or two. Followed the Boulder railroad creek method from you tube. Briefly balsa dowel with wire branches embedded, followed by woodland scenics turf for bark, then 8mm and 4mm static grass for branches and foliage. I’m rather fond of them. Scenic work started in this section - work in progress.

3B42B463-AB85-46EE-9BEC-5BEB50187FE5.jpeg.e771962cd69866f051f3f31a16d5864b.jpeg

Also completed the first batch of 5 MSVs, just awaiting decals and weathering now. I’ll wait until I’ve built batch 2 before adding decals. I’ll have a pleading word with Steve at railtec to see if I can get a set made with the same pool numbers that  saw use at Tytherington back in the 1970s.

052B4293-F510-432D-81E4-4BFB93C749D3.jpeg.ad380e61e1e75e35f5d1d66fe930c425.jpeg

Neil 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Downendian said:

Running trials yesterday and today with D7026/9 and 31 309. Some minor glitches (including the schoolboy error of fitting the chip in D7029 the wrong way round) but the Heljan hymek chassis were bomb proof and smooth and silky as always. One was second hand, fitted with new wheels and one bought brand new a few years ago now. Not so for 31 309, hesitant and some clear indication that the pick ups are inadequate. It got progressively better with running in, but not acceptable to me, so it’s looking like a rewheeling job plus extra pick ups to the centre axles. Those traction tyres just have to go. Soldering iron had to come out too to reattach wires that had come loose. However I won’t give up on the repowering my old Lima models this way if 31 309 turns out well finally.

Meanwhile a scenic interlude and built six pine trees (loosely spruce or larch), planted in a row behind the signal box. This I’ve read, mirrors GWR practise where rows of pines were planted near stations. My South Gloucestershire woodland scenic will get a conifer addition or two. Followed the Boulder railroad creek method from you tube. Briefly balsa dowel with wire branches embedded, followed by woodland scenics turf for bark, then 8mm and 4mm static grass for branches and foliage. I’m rather fond of them. Scenic work started in this section - work in progress.

Also completed the first batch of 5 MSVs, just awaiting decals and weathering now. I’ll wait until I’ve built batch 2 before adding decals. I’ll have a pleading word with Steve at railtec to see if I can get a set made with the same pool numbers that  saw use at Tytherington back in the 1970s.

Neil 

I am in the same position I have a set, asked Steve, no response (yet), want 20 of pool 7603. Got 12 or so ready for transfers.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Downendian said:

Neil 

Great pine trees Neil. The new layout will need some for the site of the closed Norton Halt, will have to plagiarise that method I think . 

Great to hear your loco progress too…. D15 finished here so back to banana vans for rolling stock project 

• Like 1