• RMweb Gold

Plenty of unfitted examples of HTO on the Paul Bartlett site Martin. 
Details of which ones as always taken from the excellent David Larkin book series on BR wagons, absolutely essential reading! 
Neil

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Downendian said:

Plenty of unfitted examples of HTO on the Paul Bartlett site Martin. 
Details of which ones as always taken from the excellent David Larkin book series on BR wagons, absolutely essential reading! 
Neil

I will havecto look that up, looked up seen HTO old body, a few HTV old body and lots of rebodied HTVs.

Late 70s though. Not many no brakes left then.

• RMweb Gold

Actually I’m really surprised by the number of unfitted wagons still in BR service in the late 1970s. (Unfitted wagons of course still had brakes but were operated by hand levers and not loco vacuum or air brake systems.) Shildon were still churning out rebodied MDOs as late as 1979, and unfitted but rebodied 21T hoppers outnumbered fitted counterparts.

Neil 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well this weeks instalment - completed assembly of the Parkside  rebodied 21T hoppers. A lot of work! Still more to be done - a £50 plus order of bespoke railtec transfers to add to this lot when they arrive, tweaking to handrails to get all as level as possible, another coat of white (currently added primer) to handrails, brake and hopper levers and finally weathering. Half this lot will get coal loads, half empties and weight to be added to the latter under the hopper. Half will be added to the eastbound  STJ-Acton rake and half to the return empty working. The limited prototype photos I have of the real workings have a mix of both 21.5/24T minerals and 21T hoppers.

Fitted instanters to 25 wagons yesterday - tedious but necessary. A triple pack of Accurascale MDOs have arrived yesterday to supplement the empties working.

Now a few days on the layout - to get some errant point motors back on line so the new kit builds have space to live. Plus the 6M55 rake needs weathering and test running because our intention is to give it a run of Abbotswood 2’s first outing the weekend after next.IMG_0494.jpeg.0a82fab379cb807afc5c382d3e54acec.jpeg

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Looking good.

You must be like me Neil, I'm assuming you use Smiths couplings, you think you've got plenty, then, bang, the seemingly vast reserve has disappeared!

I use a mix of Ambis/LMS/Masokits hooks and instanter links and Smiths LP7 plain links, despite buying and manufacturing what seems like thousands of the blessed things the pot empties far too rapidly!

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Smiths throughout Mike - the hooks are oversize but makes coupling up a lot more sane. A compromise I’m happy with. You’re right the Instanter stock pile has vanished and I’d bought a new stash from wizard models recently. However I used the coupling hooks supplied with the Chivers kits they’re rather nice.

Layout this morning, after sorting out a short circuit a double slip at the start of the helix needs new servos fitting- probably the most inaccessible turnout on the whole layout. I’ve just sorted one of the two. Once that double slip is sorted access to the lower deck should be complete and trial runs will start in earnest.

Neil

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Progress over the last couple of weeks. I’ve managed to get the point motors working on a key double slip and the throat of the fiddle yard under my layout, so hopefully trains can now run up the helix OK.

The 21T hopper builds have progressed to having decals (the always excellent railtec transfers, using the bespoke TOPS panels but using HOP21 and HOP21VB pre-TOPs lettering) added and coal loads to six. Some light weathering to these wagons to reflect that in 1972-6 they would have been only a few years out of the wagon shops. Paul Bartlett’s photos show some ex-works at Swindon in 1975. These six will form part of the East Usk-Acton/Temple Mills trains.

IMG_0511.jpeg.6c372db02d4fbfd830ba043eecaa16e4.jpeg

the other 6 have seen slightly more weathering as they will be running as empties, weight added beneath the hopper.

As a part of my “whole train” approach, I have in my collection this wonderful image of D1036 in Sonning cutting in 1976. Although rather fuzzy it primed my memories of seeing brake tenders in these Severn Tunnel bound/origin freights, and noting at the time that strange ancient angular tenders were sometimes seen. Of course with my then complete ignorance, I didn’t realise that these vehicles were Stratford built  dia 1/558, of which there were only 6 built. I just had to recreate this photo.

IMG_0507.jpeg.0d2488748e5bab937cd780686ebdc18e.jpeg

so here’s my go at the 1/558 brake tender. Based loosely on Tim Shackleton’s excellent project described here

https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/mixed-media-modelling-diesel-brake-tenders

the body was obtained from eBay for £12, it probably should have been sent back for a replacement as it had a few scars, which I hoped to mask with weathering. I replaced the end stanchions with cut down mini staples as the 3D print didn’t bring these out very well, and mounted the bogies (I used comet heavy duty 9’ Gresleys) using the conventional nut and bolt method with washers to be able to adjust the ride height. However there is a slight overhang of the bogie at both ends, I think they should be 8’6” bogies but none are available in kit form - did they ever exist!? A schoolboy error needs correcting (brake handle at wrong end on one side) plus vac pipes need adding, plus bogie weathering but a nice little project that took just a few days. 
IMG_0510.jpeg.53166016a22c55392b9ec686abc9e22b.jpeg
I’ve started the 3H centre car in the last few days- removed glazing from the donor bodies and summonsing up the courage to cut them very very carefully to sure minimum filling is required and the new centre coach is the correct length. Awaiting some bits from Bachmann spares and will proceed with that project- one not to be rushed.

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

I forgot to post after the GWSR diesel gala three weekends ago. I helped out on @Phil Bullock excellent Abbotswood 2 layout which got its first outing at Winchcombe station. I also took the opportunity of running the loaded clayliner rake using Phil’s model of D1000 which was running the correct headcode for the time period 6M52. Thoroughly enjoyable weekend, and as ever learnt a lot from Phil’s operations and dedication to the hobby - his signals are a work of art.

The clayliner rake largely behaved itself with just four cripples out of a rake of 21 wagons. One had a coupling hook missing, one pulled out in action, one needed back to backs adjusting. Another wagon had lost its whole bufferbeam somehow. All have been remedied. I took full responsibility for coupling up the instanters.

lovely to play trains on an enormous train set and to see the glory years of my youth pass through with classes 20, 24, 25, 37, 45 and 47 all in operation plus their two car class 117.

D1000 held at signals at Norton junction with the northbound 6M52 St Blazey-Stoke clayliner. Brake vans were used as “adapter” wagons. One wagon will gain tension locks for Abbotswood outings.

IMG_1937.jpeg.750bf442dd46e0c930d8eb1a1faa3ba6.jpeg

classic BR diesel traction in action at Winchcombe 

IMG_1931.jpeg.a36c339170df4b97cdb03eb97c6f1e41.jpegIMG_1928.jpeg.ba63c7b033bcf2fec26a3cb67f6f5e42.jpegIMG_1924.jpeg.dcfcf999bbe400132c620b0976cfbb2c.jpeg±

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Downendian said:

I forgot to post after the GWSR diesel gala three weekends ago. I helped out on @Phil Bullock excellent Abbotswood 2 layout which got its first outing at Winchcombe station. I also took the opportunity of running the loaded clayliner rake using Phil’s model of D1000 which was running the correct headcode for the time period 6M52. Thoroughly enjoyable weekend, and as ever learnt a lot from Phil’s operations and dedication to the hobby - his signals are a work of art.

The clayliner rake largely behaved itself with just four cripples out of a rake of 21 wagons. One had a coupling hook missing, one pulled out in action, one needed back to backs adjusting. Another wagon had lost its whole bufferbeam somehow. All have been remedied. I took full responsibility for coupling up the instanters.

lovely to play trains on an enormous train set and to see the glory years of my youth pass through with classes 20, 24, 25, 37, 45 and 47 all in operation plus their two car class 117.

D1000 held at signals at Norton junction with the northbound 6M52 St Blazey-Stoke clayliner. Brake vans were used as “adapter” wagons. One wagon will gain tension locks for Abbotswood outings.

IMG_1937.jpeg.750bf442dd46e0c930d8eb1a1faa3ba6.jpeg

classic BR diesel traction in action at Winchcombe 

IMG_1931.jpeg.a36c339170df4b97cdb03eb97c6f1e41.jpegIMG_1928.jpeg.ba63c7b033bcf2fec26a3cb67f6f5e42.jpegIMG_1924.jpeg.dcfcf999bbe400132c620b0976cfbb2c.jpeg±

It was a great weekend Neil…, thanks for bringing your stock and the company. Glad you enjoyed the outing too…. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

No action for the past few weeks, as my dining room workbench has been suspended! We are having a major house overhaul, walls removed, extended dining room, new kitchen etc etc. A garden room has also been ordered which I’ve been allowed to develop as a workshop, at least part of it. With steels going in under the model room and kango hammers thumping away I’ve kept out of there for the time being. 

However I’ve progressed the 3H centre car, splicing two 2-EPB bodies together which I’m rather pleased with. Most parts for the project can be obtained from Bachmann spares (4-BEP chassis with two couplers, lighting PCB and main PCB, bogies,  and seating) cost a fair bit but so be it. Photos to follow, but house slightly chaotic at the moment.

A second replica Western name/number plate has been bought to keep D1001 Western Pathfinder company. D1012 Western Firebrand, so quite a lot to keep me busy in the next few months. I can thoroughly recommend the laser cut timber tracks nameplates - easy to put together and look the part. Only problem is which loco to choose. 

Neil

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

With no railway modelling taking place since August, I have been busy. I’ve built a garden room from a Dunster house kit approx 4M x3M where all my future rolling stock detailing will take place.

it’s been a long gestation- I had to create a recess in a garden wall shifting several tons of soil, new patio, shifting  several tons of MOT 1. Then this, SWA cable laid already inside the cabin from under the patio, fascia boards, rear guttering, flooring, painting and finishing including the all important wiring still to do. Simultaneously a new kitchen diner has appeared, both projects causing considerable household disruption.

A few mistakes in the build (hindsight a wonderful thing) but very pleasing to see this appear at the bottom of our garden. I’ll be able to declutter the model room considerably when the workbench is transferred here.

Neil

IMG_0542.jpeg.8ca505f35ea5e80d27a595e3e8e34ba9.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Downendian said:

With no railway modelling taking place since August, I have been busy. I’ve built a garden room from a Dunster house kit approx 4M x3M where all my future rolling stock detailing will take place.

it’s been a long gestation- I had to create a recess in a garden wall shifting several tons of soil, new patio, shifting  several tons of MOT 1. Then this, SWA cable laid already inside the cabin from under the patio, fascia boards, rear guttering, flooring, painting and finishing including the all important wiring still to do. Simultaneously a new kitchen diner has appeared, both projects causing considerable household disruption.

A few mistakes in the build (hindsight a wonderful thing) but very pleasing to see this appear at the bottom of our garden. I’ll be able to declutter the model room considerably when the workbench is transferred here.

Neil

IMG_0542.jpeg.8ca505f35ea5e80d27a595e3e8e34ba9.jpeg

Very nice.

See how long it takes before you need another one at the side of it Neil!

Mike.

• Funny 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Update : workshop progress. Awaiting wiring and lighting (early December install), but the first five kits to emerge from my new workshop are underway four Parkside 21T 1977 rebodied minerals and one Parkside SPV to replace the errant Hornby versions.

The 4x3M building currently surrounded by leaves from our large but beautiful acer.

IMG_0597.jpeg.308950fc858d9fb8604c1a38c1cfb391.jpeg

the workbench (ikea) with five wagons undergoing construction

IMG_0596.jpeg.453f7c113ffeaf2406577c36bf1de3d3.jpeg

the storage units - liberating valuable space from the layout room - about 8 large plastic boxes worth. I’ll eventually compose an excel spreadsheet so I won’t need to keep opening- again from ikea. I might well order another as now these two are full.

IMG_0595.jpeg.6b1c3993cd26949a592b875bcfd4b992.jpeg

the railway library - in process of moving all my railway related books out here - much easier to find now! About 80% of my collection some still to be moved from various household bookshelves.

IMG_0594.jpeg.0381ad0e85f38034f00fe663dd5ab612.jpeg

it’s lovely in here down the bottom of my garden, full internet coverage, but at the moment work is restricted to daylight hours coupled with a portable heater and my smart speaker.
Neil

Edited by Downendian
Autocorrect doesn’t know better sometimes
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I recently realised i have a couple of clayliner wagons already, so are going to add to them.

I do like your set.

As Lickey route applicable and i need more freight why not.

Got some parkside 5 plank, the Cambrian sr jobby

Going to get 1 more sr, a gwr and convert, couple more parkside br 5 planks, and get a couple of Dapol bodies to go on top of parkside chassis.

Just need to decide on loco, got 20 25 31 37 47 50 52 in blue and suitable era.

• RMweb Gold

Mine are strictly Westerns with the occasional class 46 or 47, although pics have emerged of class 45 workings in this period, I’ve got a stash of Dapol 1/032 bodies which are overheight. With suitable cutting down and under sheets they’ll be put on Parkside under frames to add more variety  to the Northbound rake.

Neil 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well I’ve not posted for a while but now the garden workshop is complete (lighting rig installed yesterday) and nice and warm (courtesy of a Mr Dyson product- excellent!) I’ve spent more time in my cabin of tranquility.

Four broad projects -

1. MSOs :although out of my 1973/4 time frame I do remember these in the late 1970s (they were 1977 rebodies of clapped out 21T minfits). Four more added to the rake now making a total of 15, probably to be headed by six Accurascale MSVs. A very easy Parkside kit to put together. Awaiting railtec transfers 

IMG_2088.jpeg.ed904dfeb7669896c4dc654476838a36.jpeg

2. Four SPVs to add to the Manchester-Bristol 4V20 rake; which will be a motley collection of four wheel parcels vans- hauled by a CD based type 2. My excuse to include 24s which were sporadic visitors to Bristol before their demise from 1975. All midland based according to my RCTS 1976 coaching stock book, transfers will be from Railtec and have already applied some from Fox.

IMG_2087.jpeg.8535e90687bbfcf36e10d4f98fee720f.jpeg

3. HOP21 and HOP21VB

From the venerable but fiddly Parkside versions. Five1/146 and one LNER design 1/100.Two more kits won on eBay last night. I remember these both rebodied and these unmodified versions in stone trains (branded STONE) from Tytherington quarry before the MSVs and PGAs took over the flows. Getting images of these trains has proved challenging, and certainly I won’t be able to get wagon numbers right for these rakes.  They will be a mix of unfitted (both bauxite and grey) and fitted (bauxite) hoppers. I’d converted one Parkside 1/146 to Vac brakes by adding a spare catfish vac cylinder, brake pipes and replaced the bulky end supports with six pieces of microstrip. Handrails to add, and again railtec transfers to be applied followed by copious weathering. A lot of rebodied hoppers appeared in this rake so I’ll be looking to build these in the next few weeks. As always David Larkin books and Paul Bartlett’s zenfolio site have been essential in building these.

i think I’ve eventually got the hang of these hopper kits. The most critical stages are getting the hopper body free of gaps- the end supports need filing to 45 degrees to facilitate this, plus getting the hopper bottom right so it doesn’t snag the wheelsets. EM-gaugers have of course much more room to play with but as I model the narrow gauge clearances are very tight and needs fettling to get the wagon to run sweetly. IMG_2089.jpeg.3ec8ab65c267c9177e3c82dc8452f48f.jpeg

IMG_2090.jpeg.e78d7f4f5b600c0a219b8f1f2c538fee.jpeg

Class 205 3H centre car

glazing units reinstalled yesterday and a test fit of body to chassis this morning, roof re sanded and fits to body OK and ready for the paint shops. I’m pretty certain that all three cars will need their roofs resprayed  to get uniformity in the unit.. Some fettling is needed as the surgery used to create the centre car body has resulted in it being slightly shorter (less than a mm out) but it will fit. I’m awaiting replica seating units and end pipe work then I can put the 3H together finally, and test run . Hopefully I’ll given fuller details when this project is complete.

Finally merry Christmas and happy new year. I hope 2024 will finally get these rakes running and I can focus on getting some diesels detailed to do the new wagon rakes justice.

Neil

Edited by Downendian
Typo
  • Like 9

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

This months progress. Hugely time consuming task of getting the 21T hopper Tytherington fleet together. All handrails added (the toughest part of these Parkside kits). Decals now beginning to be added and some preliminary weathering, plus liquid lead added to the underside of the hopper, plus instanters. These will be running as a fitted head with a mix of ex LNER 1/100 and BR 1/146 diag in both bauxite and grey livery. Both original and rebodied wagons are to be in the rake. Stone decals applied to the first few- I’ve no way of matching original running numbers as photos just aren’t there- however I’ve done my best to match livery/rebody to prototypical wagons.

A rake of 14 wagons so far aiming for 20 or so plus a pair of brake vans either end.

IMG_2104.jpeg.50e881b9da4595d9b1a17f0acb688544.jpeg

Neil

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Downendian said:

This months progress. Hugely time consuming task of getting the 21T hopper Tytherington fleet together. All handrails added (the toughest part of these Parkside kits). Decals now beginning to be added and some preliminary weathering, plus liquid lead added to the underside of the hopper, plus instanters. These will be running as a fitted head with a mix of ex LNER 1/100 and BR 1/146 diag in both bauxite and grey livery. Both original and rebodied wagons are to be in the rake. Stone decals applied to the first few- I’ve no way of matching original running numbers as photos just aren’t there- however I’ve done my best to match livery/rebody to prototypical wagons.

A rake of 14 wagons so far aiming for 20 or so plus a pair of brake vans either end.

IMG_2104.jpeg.50e881b9da4595d9b1a17f0acb688544.jpeg

Neil

That will be a cracking g train Neil. Looking forwards to seeing your clays run again too …. 

• Like 2