General Opinions on N, OO & O Scale

Good Afternoon,

I’m looking for some viewpoints on my future options with regards to my new model railway.

I’ve had several failed attempts in OO gauge over the years, they've never made it past the wiring stage I’ve just never felt the layout was 'right' so decided to stop before I wasted anymore money on it.

I’ve tired steam (BR-W) and modern traction but I still didn’t get that feeling that this model was the one. With a house move in the offing very shortly and the prospect of a new dry and damp proof garage, I need to decide what to do.

I’ve thought about a round layout as in a full circle in OO gauge modern theme, just to run trains round and round. I’ve even looked at N gauge in a similar scheme with proper length trains etc.

Then reading the new Dapol O gauge models coming out, I’ve thought about a small layout designed around the 08 or Terrier models.

I don’t have a pot of money so any layout will be modest to say the least.

I’m just looking for some opinions on the pros and cons of N,OO and O scale in the new world of stunning N and affordable O scale models.

Kind Regards

Great Western

Hi GW,

Welcome to my world!

I've been like this for many, many years. For a long time, I thought I was happy with scale A, then I would move onto scale B for a bit but think 'Oh, scale C' is nice, too!

Plus, I had the added complication of scale D (H0 in UK, US and Euro!).

Well, I've finally, finally, FINALLY decided that 0 scale is best for a little (medium?) sized shunting/operating layout and that N scale is best for a nice roundy-roundy layout with trains in the country-side. Therefore, most of my 4mm/H0 stock needs to be sold off (but i might do one or two little side projects while doing the selling!).

Eventually I should end up with something I enjoy operating, detailing and observing! That's the plan anyway.

Ultimately, it's really up to you!

I take it you go to shows and study the various layouts in the different scales?

Cheers,

John E.

"affordable"?

One man's meat ... and all that - Beware the myth that O is more expensive because it is all relative. As the scale goes up (in theory) the less stock, track and scenic items are required for the same available space.

I model in all 3 scales 2, 4, and 7, as well as in an assortment of gauges. No I suppose I cannot make my mind up either! They all have their individual appeal and charm but what you want from a layout or even just a model is down to your own choices.

All scales have their attractions. I suggest you buy a decent but relatively easy to build O Gauge wagon kit - Slaters or Parkside for preference. Either it will bite you and you will never go back, or you'll have a nice display item for the mantelpiece, or you'll be able to sell it on Ebay for round about what you paid for it, assuming you do a half decent job. Can't lose.

It's not too helpful to say this, but it really does come down to what you, personally, want.

Talk about a post guarantteed to start an argument...

It really does depend what the individual modeller wants out of it. No one scale is fundamentally 'better' or 'worse' than another, just more suited to that individual's needs...

The main criteria to consider are:

• Available space: Obviously you can model the same layout in a smaller space or fit a more expansive layout in the same space in a smaller scale.
  • Big picture or detail focus: Do you want full length trains perhaps slightly less detailed (go for N) or reduced train lengths but each vehicle more highly detailed (go for OO or O)
  • Prototype: unless you have lots of room, wide open fields or a large terminus station are impractical in O, but a small urban goods yard would have more 'presense' in a larger scale
  • Budget: O gauge rolling stock does cost significantly more for the same loco/wagon (OO and N are much closer) but you probably need less. Overall cost per square foot of baseboard probably won't be much different
  • Are you a Builder or Buyer: there is clearly more choice available ready to run in OO, whereas O requires you to mostly kit-build rolling stock (or pay someone to build it for you!).

Do what is right for you, which may be different scales for different projects. With the history you give of stalled projects, I would suggest something completely different to what you have done before might be the way to restart your interest.

My biggest tip is this:

Don't use all the available space just because it is there. Draw up a plan and then simplify it by cutting out at least half the track.

The tip really is: Keep it manageable for one person to handle all aspects of building, wiring, scenery and operation.

Best, Pete.

PS It took me 50 years to learn this........

• RMweb Premium

Some people never make a decision as to what they want to model & change scales/prototypes/periods on a regular basis.

A late friend of mine must of over a period of 20years, sold of all his models & bought something else at least 10 times. I don't recall if he ever actually started a layout, but was content to run them on the club test track, or on exhibition layouts.

...I’ve had several failed attempts in OO gauge over the years, they've never made it past the wiring stage I’ve just never felt the layout was 'right' so decided to stop ...

Radical thought, maybe you don't actually want a layout? Now, personally I wouldn't have a single railway model if it wasn't possible to run them on a layout of some sort. (What happens when I build a layout is that once the wiring is in and thus the layout is operable, scenic development proceeds glacially slowly.) Just because you like models of locos and rolling stock doesn't make it compulsory to operate them on a layout. Perhaps build a display cabinet of some sort, if you want to do something constructive relating to the models. That can accomodate items in any scale too...

...I’ve tired steam (BR-W) and modern traction but I still didn’t get that feeling that this model was the one...

This is much easier. WR and modern traction are enough to tire anyone. BR(ER) steam now, that's a world of fun. Consider a change of subject. :angel:

I opted for N gauge because I wanted to run reasonable length trains in a modest space. The cost is comparable to 00 (or maybe slightly cheaper for some items) but the RTR range is not as great.

Swings and roundabouts.

If WR and modern image have not done it for you, maybe you need to take a step back from the scale question. Try to work out what it is that appeals to you and then make your decision based on that. Perhaps you want to look at more exotic pre-grouping stock in which case the wide range of kits in 4mm may be the best option.

It sounds to me like you have not decided what you want to achieve. You need to decide this first before you can realistically choose a scale.

Do what is right for you, which may be different scales for different projects. With the history you give of stalled projects, I would suggest something completely different to what you have done before might be the way to restart your interest.

I agree. By the looks of it you could do with a change from OO, so why not try something else? A couple of years ago I got fed up with 3mm and tried N gauge by buying a few bits and pieces cheapish and building a small layout. I found I didn't like it, so I sold the lot and switched to HO (with a bit of OO), which suits me fine.

As an earlier post said, you can always sell things and try again (you might not get back what you spent but at least you'll know what you don't like). I think it's just a case of taking the plunge.

Thanks gentleman loads of views to consider there.

What floats my boat is something industrial, not your typical ironstone line but something like a mainline/national coal board exchanage yard or colliery loading point or quarry. Ive got a think about actually loading wagons :O , hence the colliery or quarry idea. My main concern about N is that a small locomotive (as in small size of the model motor) wouldnt be able to haul even small rake of say HTA (EWS 102t hoppers) with a small amount of model coal in? Id love a scale length train to go under a loader empty and appear again loaded thats my vision.

But..........

The Dapol 08 and Terrier, well what can I say Ive been tempted by O for years and these two models alone are enough to tempt anyone. If they did some modern era wagons Id do a steel terminal with the 08 or something.

I think the best bet is to research and hang fire on spending money until we all see how the Dapol models do and what comes next.

Regards

Great Western.

• RMweb Premium

You will find that the motors will hall the n gauge loaded wagons with ease. Proportionally the motors in them are much larger than the ones in 00 models.

The downside for your ideas with N is that the wagons will be much harder to load than they would be in 00.

Archived