Picture frame scene

JonathanB

I have a picture frame that we picked up from Ikea (this one), hoping to turn to a vertical orientation, but on removing the back, we found that the picture sheet was glued to the back so we couldn't re-orientate. We've since obtained some other art work to put in the space, so we have the frame spare! It has opaque "glass" (perspex) with three 16cm square clear sections and is about 2cm deep inside when the back is attached:

20120914-tumry7rwge6dufrr7hwkyjaaq1.jpg

Having found the picture frame layout SprocketBahN on the web, I was wondering about a single track of N-gauge running along the bottom of the "viewports" with a different scene in each. A small steam loco and some sort of single wagon (which I have) would probably fit in each scene and could be driven back and forth through each scene. I think perhaps the depth may be an issue, but it might be possible to make it a bit deeper somehow.

Any ideas? Probably better to be country, picturesque type scenes rather than industrial (or I'll never be allowed to hang it on the wall!)

Maybe if it's simple I might get somewhere with it compared to my other N-project which hasn't got anywhere in the last year!

• RMweb Gold

That's an interesting idea. I'm thinking a realistic photo backscene would help add a lot to the otherwise very narrow space. I like IKB's idea of the arches. Maybe the three windows could show different sections of an urban scene?

• RMweb Premium

I like your idea.

The image below shows what it might be like if you curve your picture around the back of the frame.

Just an idea to give you something to consider. It was kinda fun to do, anyway.

Hope you come up with something you can display on your wall with pride.

Done in Paint :paint:

post-14049-0-11621000-1347660813.png

Yes, I had a similar idea, but with three different scenes - I think I can get some planed softwood from wickes to pad the depth out to around 4cm which would be better than 2cm.

Still not keen on the industrial ideas - keeping it rural and countrysideish (or seaside) is going to go down better with the other half!

• RMweb Premium

If you want a curved backscene you could use bendy mdf from B&Q.

I've seen this used to good effect on a few exhibition layouts.

You may know of this already but thought I'd mention it in case someone else might like to know.

EDIT

If you want some modelling inspiration, there are some superb dioramas (depicting the LNWR) by Jack Nelson at the Conwy Valley Railway Museum, http://www.conwyrailwaymuseum.co.uk/

I'm thinking 3 slightly curved backscenes of basically blue sky printed out on card, the first some sort of beachy/pier/seafront scene, the second with trees and the third hills and a tunnel. Need to try and work on my limited artistic skills to sketch up something approaching that I think! LED lighting could light each scene too - now I'm getting way too technical!

• RMweb Premium

Don't forget the seagulls :laugh: (No flying smiley, sorry)

PS. Your scenic trio are well balanced, now. Looking good. Great work.

Look forward to seeing it come to fruition.

Thoughts have turned to power and operation - googling around it seems some awfully complex shuttle circuits exist, but I was wondering if it could be done simply, if a bit crudely, with a circuit along the lines below. Using a 2A Miniature DPDT Latching Relay from Maplin which is rated for 12V, along with a couple of reed switches at each end to activate the relay.

post-9872-0-32040600-1347812840.png

I don't really know much about electronics at all, so there is probably some glaring error in this - can I just use a 12V DC supply with a variable resistor to set the speed for example? :) (One minor error is putting the reed switches on the - side instead of the + side of the relay).

Other half has given the thumbs up! :)

Ignoring my moment of electrical insanity, I've cracked on and made the frame deeper with 2 widths of strip wood from Wickes, screwed and glued together. These slot in around the edge of the frame with a reasonably snug fit, although I plan to fix them to the frame itself later.

post-9872-0-27527000-1348001797_thumb.jpg

post-9872-0-26697000-1348001931_thumb.jpg

(Excuse the crappy pictures from my phone - it obviously couldn't work out the colour temperature!)

Another strip of 22mm x 6mm has also been covered in foam and then a single length of flexi track glued down on top - the idea being to decide on the height of the track in the frame and then fix some blocks either end for it to rest on. Not sure yet if it'll need some central support - will see how it goes!

I've also cut a piece of white mount board to size to fit just behind the glass to block the fuzzy view through the semi-transparent surrounds. The trick will be cutting the squares out in the right position to view the three scenes!

Here is the basic track section temporarily placed in-situ with the assistance of some masking tape...

post-9872-0-70596200-1348047897_thumb.jpg

post-9872-0-18723300-1348047888_thumb.jpg

Just need to decide the exact height of the rail above the bottom of the scenes - probably won't be too much and most likely based on the height of the sea wall in my left hand scene design. The depth available works out as 1cm each side of the batten the rail sits on, so things are quite tight to fit the scenics in!

Started the ballasting yesterday, but not sure how to do the edges of the narrow strip! I might try sticking some gaffer/duck tape allong the sides to stop the ballast falling everywhere until it's dried - any other suggestions?

post-9872-0-42925300-1348313548.jpg

And here is a mockup of the sea wall and beach section to try for size - the wall is mocked up as 2cm high, which works out at roughly 3 scale metres high - I think it looks about right! The beach will be covered in some real sand glued down and the wall in a brick paper I think. (The glass needs a good clean!)

post-9872-0-44503400-1348313545.jpg

Archived