Hornby A3 spare Body shells

Blobrick

• RMweb Premium

Could anyone point me in the right direction please?

I am trying to source a replacement locomotive body for a Hornby R2341 "Windsor Boy" or R2617 "Ladas" . I ve had a look on the Web using Google, but so far not found any sources. Does anyone know if replacement are available?

Many thanks Bob.C

I'm afraid to say that they aren't avaialble. I contacted Hornby direct on this an was told to try east kent models only to be told that Hornby don't do spare bodies!.

An unfortuntate by product of bodies being made in China. You may see them appearing on ebay - unfortunately they do tend to command silly prices.

Sorry not to be more helpful

You'll struggle at present to get hold of a Hornby China-made, loco drive, A3 body except as a rarity via eBay or similar. The situation was the same with A4 bodies too, although they are more plentiful now (still via eBay) and in time the later introduced A3/A1 bodies may appear in greater quantity too. If you are prepared to do some work (though people rarely are these days) then the Margate A1/A3 bodies can be detailed-up very effectively and with relatively little modification will fit on the Chinese, powered, loco chassis. These bodies are available VERY cheaply (e.g. from as little as £4.50, try Comet Models for instance by phone or at show) so don't pay greedy, cynical, or ill-informed eBay traders £25or more per body! The China-made, improved, tender-driven A3 had a body (although better detailed) won't fit easily on the new powered chassis as the boiler bottom in-fill gets in the way and must be cut out. You'll find out more if you you look on the LNERforum/LNERencyclopedia website modelling section - it's a must if you are really interested in LNER matters. Look out for a contributor who uses the name "Blink Bonny" and maybe give him a PM. He delved into the permuations, combinations and compatibility of LNER pacific bodies and chassis a long while ago.

Archived