Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

3D Printed N Gauge Pendolino and On Track Plant

• RMweb Gold

Hello David

That looks fabulous. Great work - well done.  I am sorry if it's been mentioned before but are both cars powered or is there a "dummy" chassis?

Actually, thinking about it, you might want to do a "summary" posting with all the bits shown and with information about where to get them.  I bet quite a few will be in the market for one of these pairs seeing your model but won't necessarily have been following the thread all the way through.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

Summary Information for building the Harsco Rail Grinder

Shopping List:

2x 3D Printed bodies from my Shapeways shop (Bmthtrains)

2x Tomytec TM 04 15m chassis (purchased from the ever excellent PlazaJapan ebay shop)

Set of decals and OHP transparency window sheets (I can supply these if needed, PM for details)

Handrails - I used N gauge fencing bought from BH Enterprises, but any similar would do, cut to shape

Horns - bought from BH Enterprises

Buffer beam details - spares from Farish/Dapol locos

Steps - spares from laser cut scaffolding kit, brass items available from BH Enterprises

Construction:

1. Thoroughly clean and prime FUD bodyshells

2. Cut the sides away from the Tomytec chassis as shown below, to line up with the walkthrough on the bodyshell

post-6666-0-82427600-1361815686.jpg

3. Cut the curved nose of the chassis away to fit into the bodyshell, and add coupling to the inner end only

4. Use the square bogie sides (chassis comes with 4 different types)

5. Paint and apply decals

6. Add buffer details, horns etc

I think that covers the basics, and Im sure other people will make a better job of the painting than I have if they want to build one themselves!

David

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks guys!

The units modelled are the pair 296 and 273 - hopefully both still with us!

David

hmmm, not wishing to sound like a know-it-all, however our griders are in pairs with numbers like this:

DR7926(X), DR7927(X) where X is the set number, generally referred to as UK(X). So UK3 set has numbers DR79263 and DR79273. The cars with the DR7926(X) numbers are designated car1 and the 7's are car 2.

This gets complcated when you get to #6 and #7. #6 set is our owned set designated EU1 (currently working in Milan) and #7 is the forthcoming UK7 (built to the same spec as EU1)

Hope that helps

A quick update - the second bodyshell is full painted and detailed and is just waiting for its decals. Thankfully the paint took perfectly, I seem to have mastered how to properly clean the FUD ready for painting now, which should avoid any expensive mistakes in the future.

Once decals are on this evening, I will get the layout of and give it a test run!

David

post-6666-0-02691300-1362321806_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Thanks Ben.

Cleaning went as follows: soak and scrub with toothbrush in warm soapy water, dry, then scrub with the toothbrush dipped in white spirit, then soaked in water again, and repeated twice until the surface becomes slightly cloudy and no longer slippery to the touch.

Was actually quite easy once I knew what I was doing.

David

As a diversion while waiting for the decals to set, I've drawn up a modern pedestrian bridge - the type that might do over a motorway or railway tracks.

I've designed it as a modular construction - the ramps are individual pieces, and the actual bridge clips together in 100mm sections. To allow for painting, the bridge bases are separate from the 'cages' on top.

David

post-6666-0-64767300-1362336863_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

And here we go, the finished model!

I'm really pleased with this, not only does it look great, but it's pushed my skills and understanding of the process forward a great deal. The level of detail possible using FUD is quite astonishing, and this really has opened up my mind to countless modelling possibilities. The finish is far higher than I ever thought I would be able to achieve, and only a year ago I never imagined I would be designing and building my own rolling stock.

The grinder needs a test run next, then once pay day comes round again, it is the next, even more challenging project, the 09 tamper, which will hopefully look as good, if not better, than this has come out.

David

post-6666-0-75148600-1362349088_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-19174500-1362349121_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-86867900-1362349151_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Congratulations! This is the best thing you've done so far. Even better than your first Pendolino. Since I'm in a gushing mood, I'll also say that both Ring Road and Cross Street are among the most successful layouts in terms of looking like real places in modern Britain.

Jim

Edited by Jim Martin