3D Printed N Gauge Pendolino and On Track Plant

• RMweb Gold

Another idea is to check that you have joined all the meshes into one. I had a similar problem with Shapeways with bits uploading OK and passing the Shapeways's tests, but bits missing.

It was down to (in my case) creating sub-sections as different meshes and then forgetting to combine all the meshes into one.

Cheers, Mike

Thanks for the advice everyone - I've sorted the file (surprising what horrors Sketchup creates under the surface!), and I've sent the file for printing. Hopefully after Christmas I should have a basic shape to work on.

Now I've completed my evening class, I have all the files completed, and the vinyl cut to make the windows, so progress will be swift once I have had a chance to recover from the hell of work over the next 2 weeks.

So far, I now have 3 completed coaches, one of which is powered...

http://youtu.be/Zy_2atGv0zA

post-6666-0-58417800-1355660811_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-41945900-1355660704_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-62226500-1355660746_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-30653200-1355660792_thumb.jpg

David

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Another work in progress update - filling the printing imperfections on the roof with a bit of milliput to smooth out the surface. The design has printed pretty well but some of the very complex curves just didn't quite translate into a printable shape.

It's only taken about ten minutes to sort it out though, and once set, I will be moving on to the roof painting.

Slightly nervous about having to hand paint the curves on the nose, but I'm happy how its going so far, it's certainly stretching my painting abilities, which aren't great, but getting better!

David

post-6666-0-83962000-1357063147_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Red is one of the worst colours to cover. In addition when I used to paint Warhammer they always recommended re-undercoating white any areas that were going to be yellow. If you didn't do this you could require several coats of yellow before it started to look something like the desired colour. It seems to me you may have been trying to overcome both these ill-effects. It's not much help this time but perhaps something to try in the future.

The main thing is you have persevered and got what looks to me to be a good result. 

Edited by richbrummitt
  • Like 1

And here we are, the finished Pendolino. 

It is not 100% accurate, and for space reasons I've modelled it as an 8 car version (rather than the original 9 car and now extended 11 car versions), but given this is my first ever attempt at 3D printing, I am really pleased with the outcome.

The bodyshells have come out very well, even the driving cars, which only needed minor sanding and a tiny bit of filler on the cobra head bump above the cab. Painting went well, and the decals I've produced look the part. I am also really pleased with the vinyl window treatment - not only was it far easier to do than trying to individually fill the window apertures, it also allowed me to correctly model the two driving cars - one actually has one more window on each side than the other (something I didn't build into the printed shells). 

The beauty with this process I've learned is it is effectively mass production - I can add in extra cars If I so decide, and they will look exactly like the others. Equally, I could produce a second set with no more effort than the cost to print. And I can replace/upgrade easily. The bogies are from Mk4 coaches, so I may replace these over time, and the chassis could also do with a bit more detail. Equally, now I know what I am doing, it would be very easy to modify the driving car design to allow working lights to be installed. No more hacking about bits of plastic, just redraw the item and hey presto, it prints!

Anyway, here's some photos of the finished set 390 026 working on Cross Street. As you can see, it just about fits on the layout, which really does mean it is time for a new one so it can stretch its legs...

David

post-6666-0-01040200-1357471736_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-19803400-1357471719_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-51166600-1357471727_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-09993200-1357471744_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-17822700-1357471753_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-26506800-1357471761_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-72596600-1357471773_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-24518700-1357471782_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-36307100-1357471790_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Congratulations - I've been following this thread for a while and I'm very impressed with the progress that you've made.  To have gone from beginner to this in such a short space of time is a great achievement.  Best of luck with your future printing endeavors!

Thanks guys!

I've got quite a long list of things I want to try now, partly to see what is possible, and also to stretch by design skills further.

Possible projects:

Class 321

MPV (if it doesn't get the shrink ray treatment from Farish this year)

Various types of tamper and rail grinder

Network rail infrastructure wagons (that side tipping thing, or even those monster ballast washing trains)

Lineside equipment - radio and lighting towers, cabinets, ducting, OHLE, signals etc

DLR rolling stock

DLR slab concrete trackbed

I also want to see how cost effective it is for other uses such as plasticard replacement. Say I want a brick bridge face, how much would it clost to print the face in 3D as a 0.7mm thick relief sheet to my exact design and dimensions?

Lots to experiment with now.

David

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...