3D Printed N Gauge Pendolino and On Track Plant

The crane look excellent David, great stuff.

Don't be confused by the KFA TOPS code. There are at least 5 different 60ft long container flats carrying this code, including the type that run with these cranes. The version that runs with the cranes is essentially a single wagon version of the EWS FCA twin wagons

Hope this helps

jo

Right, the Kirow first draft is now complete, and contains 26 separate parts  :O

I've already ordered a test bogie, which should be here tomorrow. I can then check whether it takes the wheels, has sufficient clearance, and is the right height for the Dapol NEM pockets. If it passes those tests, I then need to see what wear the axle point has, and whether I need to design in a little metal cap for them to sit in (assuming I can find one small enough that is).

Then I can upload the whole design to Shapeways, wait for it laugh at me (bound to be dozens of errors in something this complicated), then correct any problems and once it finally prints I can then test that all the moving parts work and probably redesign a few times!

David

post-6666-0-34903400-1368037874_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Looks awesome!

Would you be able to arrange all parts in a way that they will all be visible on the render when uploaded?

This way our distribution center and production team can easily determine which parts are there and which parts might got lost.

Some people like to hide parts which are really small in for example the cabin, so nobody at SW will notice the small parts cause they were hidden.

Last advise, the part on the far right of your picture, does this meet the minimum bounding box per shell?

(FUD) Min Bounding Box: x+y+z≥12mm

Good luck

Mitchell

Thanks guys.

I will ask Parkside what size those cups are so I can potentially design them into the model.

Mitchell, before I upload the final print file, I will get all the parts lined up properly to make best use of the space, and make sure they're all visible. I will also put in the file name the number of parts to make the count easy!

David

Hey David,

No need for a file name with the number, whenever you make an order, the model will get an production orderline (e.g. 558941) so we don't see the file name.

We do have a system that shows how many shells a model contains, thus whenever we see 19 out of 20 shells, it's easy for us to check the render and see which part is missing.

Mitch

• RMweb Premium

Would you be able to arrange all parts in a way that they will all be visible on the render when uploaded?

This way our distribution center and production team can easily determine which parts are there and which parts might got lost.

Good luck

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell

Does this mean that Shapeways is ok with a file containing lots of separate parts, rather than having them linked together by 'sprue' ?

This would be completely the opposite policy to Materialise.

Well the technicians will have fun with my Kirow crane pieces - I've just sent it for printing!  :blum:

I am expecting it to bounce back, as I am sure there will be some errors I've not picked up - no surprise given how complex it is. 

I've also redesigned the bogie completely (image below - the block at the front won't be printed, its to represent the NEM pocket) as the first draft was woefully too small given I'd forgotten that a 5.1mm wheel measurement doesn't cover the width of the flange. This is going to be test printed in WSF as it is 60% cheaper than using FUD, and if the print comes out okay, the material is I suspect better suited to bogie use as it is less brittle (and more flexible as the name implies) than FUD. I am going to use the Parkside top hat bearing caps and have designed slots in the bogie sides for these to push into.

I will report back what the Shapeways computers think of the upload when it gets into processing!

David

post-6666-0-27472300-1368304493_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Well the test print has come out remarkably well.

There are a few things I need to change, mostly tolerances around the moving parts, as some are too tight others too loose. I also need to extend the stabiliser feet as they are actually needed to stabilise the unit when on half swing mode. These legs are interchangeable, the photos below show the stowed versions on one side, the extended ones on the other.

I also need to redo the connectors that attach the pistons at either end, the material is quite brittle and snapped when trying to clip it in, and the outer piston sheaf needs redesigning as being open at one end only, a lot of support wax has got stuck in it, so the inner piston won't go in all the way. Open at both ends and a pin should push all that out.

The main redesign is the bogies - I've dropped in the Parkside top hat bearing cups, but the bogie is slightly too wide so the axels fall out. They also need dropping down slightly, you can see the NEM pocket is slightly too low compared to the wagon next to it.

I'm very pleased so far though, there are only minor adjustments needed and what was an incredibly complicated design has come out really nicely. Back to the digital drawing board for some design modifications, and I hope to have this design ready to go in a few weeks time.

David

post-6666-0-46167800-1369077668_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-21533900-1369077688_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-83472400-1369077718_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-04682700-1369077749_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-79785100-1369077772_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-66480500-1369077796_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-87194700-1369077813_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-50702500-1369077830_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-24536900-1369077849_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-16800300-1369077864_thumb.jpg

• Like 15