Schools Class

Jack P

Afternoon all,

I saw a video of Repton, number 30905, with some volcanic wheelslip, and I noticed it's tender was 'high sided'?

pr30926.jpg

So i jumped in and tried to do some research on what/why/when etc, and only managed to confuse myself more by finding this:

mm_30912-1.jpg

Thats a lord nelson tender, if i'm not mistaken. Which I understand was fitted to this loco downside and one other, for use on the western section - when? Why did repton end up with a different tender, and when, etc etc, does anyone have any information/can someone please elaborate?

-Jack

We are looking at two different tenders! Lord Nelson tenders were fitted to 30912 (photo) and 30921 in 1961, so would have hauled around for only a few months.

The tender of 932 was converted to self-trimming complete with higher side sheets in 1938. It was transferred to 905 in 1958, and presumably scrapped with that locomotive.

The photo of 30926 looks as if it were taken in preservation and the high sided tender may be a cosmetic job.

Sources: Loco of the SR vol 1, Bradley and The Schools 4-4-0s, Winkworth

Bill

We are looking at two different tenders! Lord Nelson tenders were fitted to 30912 (photo) and 30921 in 1961, so would have hauled around for only a few months.

The tender of 932 was converted to self-trimming complete with higher side sheets in 1938. It was transferred to 905 in 1958, and presumably scrapped with that locomotive.

The photo of 30926 looks as if it were taken in preservation and the high sided tender may be a cosmetic job.

Sources: Loco of the SR vol 1, Bradley and The Schools 4-4-0s, Winkworth

Bill

Thanks for that info Bill. Could you please explain what a high sided self trimming tender actually was? Did any other engines get them? Also any information on when Downside received a lemaitre blastpipe? Or did all of the class get them fitted before they went into BR service?

I seem to recall it was done in order to increase coal capacity.

How much was the capacity of the new tenders? Why is there not much documentation of this on the internet?

Thanks for that info Bill. Could you please explain what a high sided self trimming tender actually was? Did any other engines get them? Also any information on when Downside received a lemaitre blastpipe? Or did all of the class get them fitted before they went into BR service? How much was the capacity of the new tenders? Why is there not much documentation of this on the internet?

I don't actually know what a self trimming tender is; however, on the basis "that it does what it says on the tin", I'm guessing they sloped the bunker to allow the coal to slide down. Useful on an 8 wheel tender but of little advantage on a 6 wheeled one. No information on capacity, I guess the high sides permitted the same five tons of coal, necessary on a journey from Bournemouth West to Waterloo.

Changing to the subject of Lemaître blastpipes, Bradley (Locos of the Southern Railway part 1) quotes conversion dates of:

1939 914 Feb; 931 July; 937 May

1940 900, 918, 933, 938 June; 907 Nov; 901,915 Oct; 917,934 May; 920 March; 924 Sept; 930 April; 939 Aug

1941 909, 919 Feb; 921 Jan ; 929 March

And finally, I haven't a clue why there isn't much documentation on the internet; maybe because I much prefer reading books. Present bedtime reading is Bradley "Locomotines of the South Eastern Railway".

Bill

PS - the î symbol in Lemaître is alt0238

• RMweb Gold
I don't actually know what a self trimming tender is; however, on the basis "that it does what it says on the tin", I'm guessing they sloped the bunker to allow the coal to slide down.

Most tenders feature sloped sides / back plates, floors to facilitate coal trimming towards the front.They don't work that that well as after the coal dust has been watered down a few times it forms a very effective paste which glues coal lumps together. So after the loose stuff at the top of the pile is used someone (not me..) has to get up in the tender and shovel it all forward.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Very simply the Urie tender, being built for the LSWR Waterloo - Bournemouth and Exeter routes, would not have complied with the 'Restriction 0' loading gauge on the Charing Cross - Hastings route. Caused by the original building contractor doing a Cowboy job for the SECR and only lining the tunnels with one layer of brickwork, whilst charging for two, them subsequently collapsing, and the SECR suing them whilst employing another buider to add further brick linings, making the tunnels too narrow for normal 'Universal' loading gauge stock. As a consequence all stock built for the Hastings route (including the Hastings DEMU's and the Class 33/2's) having to be 'bespoke' to the resticted tunnel width.

BR of course in the early 1990's replaced all the double track in the affected tunnels with single line working, eliminating the loading gauge issue but then resticting the lines capacity.

Archived