Steve Davies leaves NRM

papagolfjuliet

• RMweb Gold

A press release from yesterday:

Sent: 19 September 2012 14:17

Subject: National Railway Museum Director steps down

For immediate release

National Railway Museum Director steps down

Steve Davies is to step down as Director of the National Railway Museum to pursue a new venture in the private sector. He will be leaving his post as of the end of October 2012.

Steve has been the Director of the National Railway Museum since February 2010. He has presided over some high-profile projects which include the ongoing restoration of Britain’s best known steam locomotive, Flying Scotsman, the launch of a purpose built art gallery and Railfest - the biggest ever gathering of rail record holders.

Steve said: “The National Railway Museum is a very special place in the hearts of many people in this country, with an enviable reputation internationally. I have been proud and privileged to lead a highly motivated team over the last three years, and hope that I have played my part in further promoting the Museum’s fortunes. I have, however, decided to accept a firm offer of employment in the private sector as Managing Director of a company in the leisure and tourism industry. The job I am moving to will provide me with an exciting and enjoyable set of new challenges, which I look forward to immensely. I am sure the National Railway Museum will move from strength to strength in the years ahead.

His position will be taken by an acting Director, Paul Kirkman, from 5th November 2012. Paul joins on secondment from the Department for Culture, Media & Sport.

Ian Blatchford, Director of the Science Museum Group said: “Steve’s passion for trains and the railway industry has been evident in everything that he has done at the National Railway Museum over the past two years. We thank him for his contribution and look forward to working with his successor to ensure that the National Railway Museum maintains its position as the leading railway museum in the world”.

Paul Kirkman says: “I am delighted to have been invited by Ian Blatchford to take up this position as acting Director of the National Railway Museum. I am sure that my wide-ranging experience working with the cultural sector at DCMS and elsewhere will help in the continued success of one of Britain’s greatest museums.

Very sad news. He and Anthony Coulls have done wonders at York over the past couple of years; Davies will be missed.

Guest 838rapid

This is such a shame following Mr Davies's recent article in Steam Railway.

I guess he has fallen on his sword!

The jinx of 103/4472/60103 strikes again.

Is it time to stuff and mount this loco??

• RMweb Premium

If you had heard him speak at the naming of the Joffre at the West Lancs Light Railway you would have sensed his frustration. He came across as a totally genuine railway enthusiast who was more at home standing on the footplate of Joffre than standing in front of Scotsman answering questions from railway journalists.

• RMweb Gold

Well at least for the time being the NRM is safe (ish) from being turned into more of a watered down family exhibition/theme park as opposed to being a real museum - the fate of many such places these days.

That's a great point - the Science Museum springs to mind as an example of the former (IMO of course)

• RMweb Gold

The post of Director of the NRM seems to be something of a poisoned chalice.

Regrettably, and to some extent unavoidably, jobs like this tend to get involved in organisational politics (that is politics with a small 'p') and that can work in all sorts of ways - some of which can turn round and bite (or at least yap) sometime into the future long after any original disagreements or happenings. I obviously don't know if politics of this sort are involved here so it would be reading too much into things to suggest that they are - I am simply making an observation that organisational politics occur.

Steve's been offered a position in the private sector that he cannot refuse, nothing to do with 4472 or any other NRM stories that are going around.

I think the timing of of his departure has probably fuelled rumours.

Steve had some really good plans for the NRM. One of the natural nice guys with a drive thats probably not matched anywhere else, its a shame to see him go. Some of ideas he outlined to us a year or so ago at Dean Hall on one of his presentations certainly caught the imagination of all who was present. I suspect these ideas - see below - may now not come to fruition which is a great pity as they may have made the museum the world leader.

Its in the public domain that as much as people liked Railfest, it bombed big style to the tune of circa £250,000, add to that the big green (or matt black ) money pit.... Now we have a bean counter from the ministry in charge.

• 2 weeks later...

Steve had some really good plans for the NRM. One of the natural nice guys with a drive thats probably not matched anywhere else, its a shame to see him go. Some of ideas he outlined to us a year or so ago at Dean Hall on one of his presentations certainly caught the imagination of all who was present. I suspect these ideas - see below - may now not come to fruition which is a great pity as they may have made the museum the world leader.

Its in the public domain that as much as people liked Railfest, it bombed big style to the tune of circa £250,000, add to that the big green (or matt black ) money pit.... Now we have a bean counter from the ministry in charge.

I'm not sure many "enthusiasts" would have been happy with the plans for the large exhibition hall that Steve outlined at Friends of the NRM AGM soon after he joined. The odd coach and loco would have remained. Personally I think that there is a role to explain railways and their vital part in the industrial revoloution of this country and leave the conservation railways to showing how railways weren't.

But an important part of his plans included the redevelopment of the area of York around Leeman Road and part of the huge redevelopment site that is York (an engine half round house). It was claimed to be the largest brown site redevelopment site in Europe BEFORE they added part of the old sugar works into it. I've lived in York for c18 years and a plan for redeveloping this site was in the local paper the first month. Since we have had trams, train trams, essential affordable housing (in a town with stacks of 2 up 2 down houses and new flats everywhere) and no real idea what to do with the area (achieving good road access is a major problem). The plans go on and on without apparently any progress - because the money required would be astronomical, including re-instating a bidirectional line through the station to replace the freight avoiding line. In the meantime, York carriage works appears well used by Netto Rail. Freightliner are using the wagon works well, including a recent loco fuelling point and there is a new DMU servicing depot on the site of the old concrete works.

Apart from the difficulty of working within a civil service administration and the 'cuts', without the permission to charge for entry (fortunately) all these planning difficulties must make this job incredibly frustrating.

Paul Bartlett

Archived