Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Lulworth Castle, 1930's to 2000's

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Looking terrific Paul, I wish I could work that fast!

Cheers,

Dave.

Thanks :) If I took my time Dave I might get somewhere near the finish of yours too ;) While it will be presentable for Wimborne I'll be working on detailing for some time to come trying to get that elusive atmosphere I enjoy so much on Britport and Charmouth plus the likes of Catcott Burtle and Bleakhouse Rd. If I think I can improve it I'll rip bits out and do them again as I try out new techniques. First layout I've had at home for years so I have the time to fiddle and do bits each night. The advantage was I stockpiled about 95% of what I needed before I started and only had to go and get things like fencing and bits I've added to the origianl plan.

• Like 2

Hi Paul,

Just been catching up. Its looking great, and really come along way since I last looked in.

Are you going to use the Wills point rodding?

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold

Are you going to use the Wills point rodding?

Yes, well try to ;)

I know there are finer options but one of the aims here was to see what I could do with commercial quick kits, and ready to plant stuff.

Everything is off the shelf and within the capability of anyone who can make an Airfix kit.

So buildings are all Scenecraft, the bridge is Wills, the Signal is a Borg rail one ready to go, (but that won't be ready for Wimborne), Track is SMP and Marcway, trees are by Realistic Models.

The whole concept in my head was in answer to people saying Ready To Plant / Run isn't modelling. From my little commercial modelling experience I wanted to start with a pile of it and see how close I can get to the mostly scratchbuilt layouts I like.

I will put on my dark glasses and try not to look too closely.... :sungum:

Oh we can compare lists of what I know I've compromised ;)
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

One thing that will be rectified after Wimborne is shiny stock, I need time and they mood to strike which I doubt will occur this month ;)

Edited by PaulRhB

Hi Paul,

I think the Wills rodding looks ok as long as it bedded it ok. It is a bit chunky but It looks fine on Ian's Tidworth and Richards Far North Lines layout.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold

Plugged in Dapol signal as a temp measure for Wimborne, worked beautifully.

Reassembled layout and plugged transformer into extension lead and a pop plus a very hot transformer and now dead. No idea if it's also toasted the signal but the transformer is definitely dead and the leads going in the bin too. Signal may have to be static if it's bust as I can't get my other power supply until Tuesday.

• RMweb Gold

Yes well that's the plan for the proper signal but I put in the Dapol one when it became apparent that the other one wasn't going to be ready in time as he was waiting the ladders. Bit difficult to hand operate the motorised one ;)

Maybe it was the Southern 4mm S&T complaint about a LMS signal masquerading as the light railway one hanging on ;)

New power supply found cheap in the net so should be here monday.

Depending how the week goes I might be able to find and build the ratio one as at least the mech will be adaptable to the Borg one. Thought I was saving a bit of work!

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Well spent the day crucifying the myth of two wire Dcc for a layout ;)

Minx microdrives are very nice compact pieces of kit but you do need to set them up very precisely. I suffered from alarms going off, frog switching relays not latching and overdrive when I tried their method of mounting underneath, maybe as I'm using 9mm ply?

So last night I took all six off, yep four days to go and Paul rips stuff apart again ;) it's not the first time I've done this when I'm not happy with something.

So I made up my own system to reduce flex to a minimum using some 3mm cylinders and brackets to make sure the microdrives just push in one plane. To be fair they state this but they then show how to mount underneath and the 1.2mm wire just isn't up to it.

Now I have all 6 working reliably :)

The T piece, the cylinder goes up through the board to reduce the twist.

post-6968-0-78308400-1429051887.jpg

Then to add the wiring and hence the mass seen below plus all the droppers.

We will see how the Minx do at the show but I'm not yet convinced they are going to stand up to the temperature variations long term. If it wasn't for the shallow frame I'd seriously consider switching back to tortoises for their robust simplicity.

I like the idea though and once I'd made up my non twist brackets they went in quickly.

Time will tell ;)

post-6968-0-92850800-1429051614.jpg

post-6968-0-14959700-1429051625.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 3

Well spent the day crucifying the myth of two wire Dcc for a layout ;)

He,he - love it, now I know why I've stuck to analogue. Hope to see this nice little layout on Saturday morning, or Sunday afternoon, when I'm over to either help out on the Blandford stand, or fill any other gap for the WRS. 

May see you late Sat morning then - assuming I can get parked somewhere!

PS: anyone who can produce a photo of Carter's Siding GF get a special bonus thank-you :-)

Edited by RailWest

• RMweb Gold

He,he - love it, now I know why I've stuck to analogue. Hope to see this nice little layout on Saturday morning, or Sunday afternoon, when I'm over to either help out on the Blandford stand, or fill any other gap for the WRS.

It's no worse than analogue, to be honest I usually wire for DC then switch it all on as it allows me to play with non chipped locos with analogue control too, but I'm not relying on fishplates to carry a clean signal at all as the layout is small. When I build up the enthusiasm the fishplates will be tweaked off and replaced with etch ones, but that's for the future.

I only do the dcc for the sound option ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well I managed to get it all set up and running today but tomorrow is now lost due to a meeting at work and visiting or taking home a friend who ended up in hospital today so the signal and rodding look unlikely as I'm not doing it Friday morning ;)

I ran it intermittently while adding figures etc, I thought they were more noticeable than the rodding for this weekend. Still some occasional quirks with the minx motors going out of synch on the crossover requiring the individual channel to be prodded.

Shame to lose a day to tart things up a bit but it's presentable and equally importantly things move ;)