Lulworth Castle, 1930's to 2000's

PaulRhB

PaulRhB - as I read your diagram now, the Outer Home is now at almost the same distance from the signal-box as the Advanced Starting, in which case I would suggest that - with respect - it is of no use for the purpose that you specify.

As you will no doubt know anyway <g> acceptance of a Down train from Norden will require the block section to be clear all the way to the Outer Home and then past it to the clearing point. Normally the CP would be 440yards, but in the case of terminus would be the buffer stop if nearer. To maintain a CP for acceptance therefore the Outer Home should be not just 440 yards in rear of the Inner Home, but in fact 440 yards from the Advanced Starting. Otherwise, any train shunting out towards the Advanced Starting fouls the CP.

I know that there was a situation similar to your proposal at Exmouth, but even there it was not permitted to accept a train from Lympstone if there was train shunting out to the Advanced Starting. Indeed, when Lympstone closed as a block-post, in order to maintain the line capacity an additional Outer Home was added 440 yards in rear of the exiting one, which then became an Intermediate Home, specially in order to provide the necessary CP.

An alternative perhaps would be a situation similar to arrangement for the new box at Seaton in the 1930s - abolish the Inner Home, leave 8PULL in place as a 'running shunt', with another disc at the foot of the (Outer) Home for 'draw ahead' purposes.

I would still suggest that for your period the distant would be 'fixed'. Indeed, if the line was built under a Light Railway Order, then a distant would not have been needed at all if the (Outer) Home could be viewed for the appropriate braking distance.

And finally <g> - would not 12 be a 'yellow' disc of the 'miniature semaphore' type?

• RMweb Gold

PaulRhB - as I read your diagram now, the Outer Home is now at almost the same distance from the signal-box as the Advanced Starting, in which case I would suggest that - with respect - it is of no use for the purpose that you specify.

An alternative perhaps would be a situation similar to arrangement for the new box at Seaton in the 1930s - abolish the Inner Home, leave 8PULL in place as a 'running shunt', with another disc at the foot of the (Outer) Home for 'draw ahead' purposes.

I would still suggest that for your period the distant would be 'fixed'. Indeed, if the line was built under a Light Railway Order, then a distant would not have been needed at all if the (Outer) Home could be viewed for the appropriate braking distance.

And finally <g> - would not 12 be a 'yellow' disc of the 'miniature semaphore' type?

Chris on the distance of the outer home you are quite right, I'll amend it.

The suggestion on the running dummy is also good as it is primarily just for freight so I'll change that and go with your suggestion on the fixed distant too as it saves a lever. I'd gone with that due to the flat nature of the line and allowing a faster approach but it really doesn't justify it for the limited passenger service.

I appreciate the reasoning on the yellow disc but the two diagrams I based it on both had the wite and red so I popped that in and hadn't gone into it any further. I'll have discussions with John about the use and see what we come up with.

I forgot to mention - sorry - that in the Seaton example there was track-circuiting all the way from the Home to the running shunt and through the facing points for 'route locking' purposes. If you are going to move the (Outer) Home a long way out, then you might find it better just to leave the Inner Home in place after all :scratchhead:

As rgeards 'yellow' shunts, there were quite a lot of locations where one might expecxt them, but they were never fitted. I suspect it was a case of not spending money unless it was a new installation or they were doing other work there at the time. Interested to know on what two diagrams you were working as a basis please???

• RMweb Gold

As rgeards 'yellow' shunts, there were quite a lot of locations where one might expecxt them, but they were never fitted. I suspect it was a case of not spending money unless it was a new installation or they were doing other work there at the time. Interested to know on what two diagrams you were working as a basis please???

One was Swanage itself, found on the internet and I suspect based on one of George Pryers drawings, although that's one book I don't have access to from his series. I can't remember what the other was as it was an example from one of the pile of books, mostly Georges, that we were checking as we wondered if the Swanage example was just from preservation. There was some discussion as to whether we needed it at all looking at other small stations but we decided that with the military traffic, dangerous goods, they'd probably go for the absolute control of the red disc.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Now the agreement was that the storage trolley had to blend in so finally some progress on that.

I looked at individual kitchen doors at first but discovered that my short 3 ft long boards meant I could use the pack designed for a fridge freezer which was less than half the cost. :)

So with B&Q's finest fake Oak panels here's the top of the trolley.

post-6968-0-56724900-1370484508.jpg

When they are set up the two will be end on with the fixed wheels at the joined ends and the swivelling ones at the outer ends so hopefully the set up layout can be trollied around if required. The wheels have brakes to stop it wandering off though ;)

post-6968-0-89707900-1370484538_thumb.jpg

post-6968-0-91390700-1370484517.jpg

post-6968-0-08274600-1370574533.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Nearly finished the trollies, still the supports for the boards to fit and some strip to stand them apart a few mm to protect the laminates and locate them when stacked.

Here they are as they will be setup with the layout on top, (on legs as per the diagram above), the holes are for the casters of the top trolley.

post-6968-0-32831800-1371116038.jpg

Rear view, two boards will go in one and one board, the stock and dcc controller in the second.

post-6968-0-82443200-1371116115.jpg

Stacked, I'm going to add a 5mm strip standing them apart on the bottom of the top one so they don't damage the edges of the panels.

post-6968-0-22943300-1371116125.jpg

and the casters sitting in the top of the lower trolley.

post-6968-0-94358200-1371116147.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Nearly finished the trolley

First a sacrificial protective strip so the laminates don't rub each other when stored or moved and it also protects them from steps or kerbs.

post-6968-0-35727600-1371636232.jpg

Bow handles chosen because the unit will sit in a hallway and I don't want it snagging clothes or bags if someone brushes past it. Prevents damage to them rather than the layout and act as lifting handles too ;)

Hopefully makes it look like two big drawers.

post-6968-0-31227300-1371636243.jpg

You can see the 4mm gap in the side panels.

post-6968-0-83818800-1371636254.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

After a break while I was busy with the other layouts I'm finally back to work on Lulworth with a date to aim for in 2015!

The winter was bad for the layout as two of the boards were damaged by damp after a leak in the shed so they've had to be remade. I also recently acquired two sets of the new Peco servo sets to power the points and Signal. the final part of the scenic prep also moved forward with the purchase of some nice trees from Realistic Modelling Services which are a cut above the bottle brush type and as good as any i could produce in the time for the very reasonable cost. It also meets my idea of doing as much of this with off the shelf products to simplify things.

Anyway here's a mock up of the station area, obviously no platform yet but it gives an idea of the space.

post-6968-0-27099300-1399516546_thumb.jpg

post-6968-0-22211100-1399516580_thumb.jpg

post-6968-0-31414100-1399516608_thumb.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

With the successful test I'm now off to take some pictures from the site of the station to make up a backscene and then find someone to print it :)

Heres' an idea of what it should look like, part of the curtain omitted.

post-6968-0-29838200-1399587645_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Comparing backscene heights, If I can get the foot tall one in I will but need to know if 8 inch ones are acceptable.

post-6968-0-57241200-1399605311.jpg

post-6968-0-51089700-1399605323.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

New design of legs to accomodate extensions for the possible modular standard

The 1000mm is for home use and the longer ones to the RSTower height at the moment ;)

post-6968-0-57453600-1405264202.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul, an interesting looking layout, someone I used, and can recommend for your own backscene is http://www.art-printers.com/

he produced mine for brasted from a pdf file I sent him. No connection to him whatsover bar being a satisfied customer.  Will be following your progress with interest all the best Adrian

• RMweb Gold

The legs will be made from 3 pieces of 12mm ply hinged so they are braced when assembled with the layout.

post-6968-0-60390700-1405269057.jpg

Extension legs will just bolt onto the ply sides and a longer stud will connect the layout to the cabinet when in extended form that will also retain a piece of wood cut to stop the freemo legs falling off the side ;)

post-6968-0-67594700-1405269341.jpg

post-6968-0-21299400-1405340973.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

All four normal legs done, just waiting for the adjustable feet to do the extensions.

Upside down with one folded up, these will sit in the bottom of the cabinet not in the baseboard as here.

post-6968-0-18602700-1405521434.jpg

And if you can imagine the cabinet replacing the trestles this is the centre ready for the two end boards to attach. In the picture above you can just see the bracket that bolts them down to support the cantilevered ends.

post-6968-0-07824700-1405521444.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 4