Totally Trains Ltd

traction

I happened to call in there a week or so before the end - the staff said that the lease had run out and the owner wasn't going to renew. There was no indication of impending closure at the shop - there was a phone conversation going on at audible volume, otherwise I wouldn't have known.

I must say I always found it unwelcoming, too dark, and when ordering online the impression I got was that they gathered customer orders before ordering stock. I caught them out when I made an order and looked again at stock levels a few days later to find the same number in stock - 1. Not the way a certain shop in Liverpool operates, for example.

• 4 weeks later...

It is the latest issue of ModelRail which shows a shop address of Ross; also there is no mention of closing or moving in the advert but is a current advert as it refers to all offers being valid until 31st October. Of course they don't advertise in the Railway Modeller and i do not get the other magazines.

With the lead time for placing adverts in magazines, there is always the possibility that if their new accommodation had not been finalised, that the advert had to go to press without the new address.

Lead times vary from magazine to magazine, hence why some of the new magazines will have the correct details, and others won't.

So to be fair, the new address issue in adverts now appearing may have been beyond the control of Totally Trains

Web site shows the new Hornby Hawksworth coaches as being in stock but still with the Cantilupe Street address in Ross.

As the shop closed some time this year I would have thought the new address in Monmouth would be shown.

I thought you could not be a retailer for some brands without a shop premises.

• 4 weeks later...

Their two page advert in ModelRail this month simply states "Shop closed until further notice" in the bottom left hand corner (pp128/129).

To be fair to Totally Trains, I have never had any problems with them and always found the staff helpful in Ross on Wye. For the record, I ordered eleven Hawksworth coaches from them last Monday. They arrived today in line with their seven day delivery schedule.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

I've used Totally Trains in the past when passing through Ross on Wye and have always been happy with the service I've had there. Although some may have genuine gripes would it not be better to take things up directly with them. I'm not even entirely sure that all their new-found critics on here have actually even had dealing with them - I fear there may be a bit of bandwagon-jumping going on. Regarding changes of address and magazine adverts (and lets not forget the associated press deadlines which are probably different for each publication), why not just give them a call to find out what's happening? I'm sure someone who has seen the ad with the new contact details can provide us with a new phone number.

Perhaps I'm a bit old-fashioned but if I have an issue with someone I would normally prefer to take it up with them personally before going public with it. The internet has much to commend it but I fear sometimes it can be a bit negative. I have no association with TT but we should remember that mud sticks.

I've used Totally Trains in the past when passing through Ross on Wye and have always been happy with the service I've had there. Although some may have genuine gripes would it not be better to take things up directly with them. I'm not even entirely sure that all their new-found critics on here have actually even had dealing with them - I fear there may be a bit of bandwagon-jumping going on. Regarding changes of address and magazine adverts (and lets not forget the associated press deadlines which are probably different for each publication), why not just give them a call to find out what's happening? I'm sure someone who has seen the ad with the new contact details can provide us with a new phone number.

Perhaps I'm a bit old-fashioned but if I have an issue with someone I would normally prefer to take it up with them personally before going public with it. The internet has much to commend it but I fear sometimes it can be a bit negative. I have no association with TT but we should remember that mud sticks.

The issues I related in this thread were very real and were the result of placing a real order with them. I stand by my comments; 'new-found' critic I am not. I don't feel overly enthused at your suggestion that there is a bandwagon we are all jumping on here. There's no smoke without fire, and it seems that plenty of people have had first-hand experience of the flames.

The issues I related in this thread were very real and were the result of placing a real order with them. I stand by my comments; 'new-found' critic I am not. I don't feel overly enthused at your suggestion that there is a bandwagon we are all jumping on here. There's no smoke without fire, and it seems that plenty of people have had first-hand experience of the flames.

And at no point have I called you a 'new-found' critic or, for that matter, accused everyone of jumping on a bandwagon. What I actually said was that "some may have genuine gripes" (yourself included, by the sound of it) and "there may be a bit of bandwagon-jumping going on here". Perhaps I should have emphasised those particular nuances. What I am uncomfortable with (and, just for the record, it's not an accusation directed at you personally) is the herd mentality that sometimes develops in situations like this. I'm still unconvinced that everyone who has had a pop at TT in this thread has actually had personal experience of dealing with them.

Anyway, I think I'll take my own advice and keep my own counsel on the matter from this point forward.

Folks lets have a bit of common sense here. I have not seen anyone calling anyone personally 'new found critic' and as regards the generalisation well if the cap fits.....

As has been suggested there is always the telephone if anyone really wants to get in touch with the shop. No amount of discussion on here will solve the riddle. If there is a real problem then by all means post in this thread but all of this discussion about what magazine has what address and 'I can't see at the moment because I am at work' add nothing at all.

If they have just moved premises then it may take a while to settle down but you either decide to use them or you don't and that is a decision that is not helped by speculation on here. If you have facts then air them but if not wait until others have.

Archived