Totally Trains Ltd

traction

• RMweb Gold

Ordered a few items from this place on Sunday morning.

It stated that there was at least two of each item I wanted to order.

Received my order this morning.....just an A4 print out of my order stating that there was NO stock in the shop or at the supplier!!ohmy.gif

Ok it's Christmas and everyones busy, but a quick telephone call would have allowed me enough time to get them from another source.icon_frustrated.gif

Just rang them to confirm the order had been cancelled and the guy explained the owner updates the web site but the stock levels are not linked so there is no way of him knowing what is or isn't in stock.

So lets pull a figure out of the air and say thats how many we've got!

Is it nearly 2010 or 1810?

Well pee'd off, needed these to set out my layout, hey ho, will just have to make buildings instead.

Went to Hattons and all the items I wanted in stock and will be delivered after Christmas.

I've seen some people knock Hattons, but the service you get from them means they will always get a lot of business.

Not really trying to have a dig at Totally Trains but just warning others take everything shown on the website with a pinch of salt, suppose it could be my fault in a way by not waiting until Monday and then ringing them......but then why have an online shop saying open 24/7?

It has been noted and unfortunately, they will be at the very bottom of my list of shops to go to now.

• RMweb Gold

I have to sympathise. Not dealt with this firm, but in the last few weeks I have found several websites offering online purchase for products they didn't actually have available. Then there was the ebay seller who was embarrassed to tell me the item I'd bought and paid for hadn't actually been delivered by his supplier. I'm afraid it all pushes us towards the big few who run "real-time" online systems. These are indeed tough times for the smaller man - he struggles to keep prices down, yet cannot afford the time or resources to compete on-line.

Sadly this is not an uncommon problem, had the same issue with Rails. I've also had items I bought on ebay refunded because the item is "out of stock". In my opinion, if you've listed it on ebay, you shouldn't sell it in your shop. Or if you do, have the decency to cancel the listing.

Every one has an off day now and again, and no one is perfect. But it does not help the situation in these bad times to give stuggling traders adverse publicity. Ok someone **cks up now and again, but it would be best served to keep it between you, and the trader concerned.

Sorry for the rant, but been there, seen it, done it - from both sides.

Every one has an off day now and again, and no one is perfect. But it does not help the situation in these bad times to give stuggling traders adverse publicity. Ok someone **cks up now and again, but it would be best served to keep it between you, and the trader concerned.

But surely one of the points of this forum is to exchange all experiences, be they good or bad? Feedback such as this is useful when I decide when and where to spend my hard earned cash!

• RMweb Premium

I have bought of Totally Trains at the odd exhibition but had the same problems as you with mail order a few years ago.

They sent out catalogues of stuff and when ordered none was ever in stock. I guess they just order in the stuff for the customers order.

Every one has an off day now and again, and no one is perfect. But it does not help the situation in these bad times to give stuggling traders adverse publicity.? 

If they valued their reputation they would have pulled their finger out a long time ago. I've had more complaints offline about this retailer than any other and I think it's fair that people can read it and vote with their feet rather than just accepting that because they advertise in the monthlies they hold comparison with any other number of retailers.

The trouble is that small one-man operated businesses can hardly afford the time and cost of a professional website let alone one that is linked to a real-time stock control system.

In fact many shops do net even have a cash till linked to a stock control system

... come to think of it some don't have a stock control system other than the twisting, damp finger in the wind.

At least they sent you notification of "out of stock" quite promptly - I've known businesses not to bother with that then finally delier 6 months later when the "round-to-it" van arrives from their supplier.

The trouble is that small one-man operated businesses can hardly afford the time and cost of a professional website let alone one that is linked to a real-time stock control system.

In fact many shops do net even have a cash till linked to a stock control system

... come to think of it some don't have a stock control system other than the twisting, damp finger in the wind.

At least they sent you notification of "out of stock" quite promptly - I've known businesses not to bother with that then finally delier 6 months later when the "round-to-it" van arrives from their supplier.

But surely it's beholden on any firm to be fair and straightforward. If it states clearly on their website that x number are available, then most folk reading that would be led to believe they actually have x number in stock.

If they don't have an updated stock control system, why lead people to believe they have?

• RMweb Gold

But surely it's beholden on any firm to be fair and straightforward. If it states clearly on their website that x number are available, then most folk reading that would be led to believe they actually have x number in stock.

If they don't have an updated stock control system, why lead people to believe they have?

Exactly.

If they said nothing about stock levels or 'phone to confirm stock levels' then that would be fine. But if they say they have '2 in stock' and they don't then it is misleading advertising bordering on deception.

I fell foul of this with Totally Trains.

I wanted some Woodland Scenics sheet underlay which, at the time, I knew was not in stock at Bachmann, so was reliant on finding the necessary quantity at a retailer. This particular retailer's website said that they had more than enough for my needs, plus various other items that I wanted so I put the order through and waited.

And waited.

Getting on for two weeks later some of my items (bearing in mind that everything that I ordered was 'in stock') turned up. I assumed that the other items had been packed and despatched separately but, on closer examination of the credit card slip realised that I had only been charged for the items supplied (about half the order) plus the full postage amount.

I emailed the retailer to ask what had happened to the rest of the items.

And waited.

Another week and I tried to telephone them. Eventually I got through and asked about my order. The person could find no trace of it. He then asked what it was for. I told him it was for Woodland Scenics underlay and he said, "oh, that order. We're waiting for the stock to arrive, but Bachmann don't have any at the moment."

I told him just what he could do with the order and certainly won't use them again.

At least, as two people have reported, TT don't charge you for items not in stock. I ordered from another retailer who charged my card immediately and must have known that they didn't have the items, and still didn't several months later. I won't name them here as I've already made my feelings known about them (and I was not alone) in a previous thread.

'phone to confirm stock levels'

Nail, head, bang on smile.gif

A simple disclaimer such as that would save a lot of hassle. Kenton, I certainly have nothing against the smaller suppliers - I just think it's better to make it clear your website is more of a catalogue rather than a virtual display case. If your website isn't capable of live stock counts, it might be better not to display "in stock" at all and ask customers to phone/e-mail regarding availability before ordering and/or parting with money.

• RMweb Gold

I missed the thread on the old forum, wish I hadn't!

On the web site it states:-

"Reaching Us

The Totally Trains online shop is open for ordering 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.

If you wish to speak to one of us during normal opening hours we welcome your call on:

01989 567 577"

So if the shop is open 24/7, then you will of course be looking at the stock levels before placing an order!

If you have to phone up to check what they have in stock, whats the point of having an online shop, may as well go shop elsewhere!

What has been made worse is the fact that instead of phoning me or sending me an email, which they could have done on the Monday, they sent me a copy of my printed out order which arived today Christmas Eve, with a line written on the bottom saying "No stock @ shop or supplier"

It doesn't say anywhere that it's been cancelled hence my phone call to them this morning to confirm.

With no chance of being able to source the items elsewhere at this late stage.

Ok it's a hobby and not the end of the world by any means and I can still get other bits done, but it's still a shocking way to operate an online business.

On the order form it has my email address and home phone number, whats the point of having to enter this information if they don't even use it.

Sorry but I can see no justification for this, and I have only posted here to make others aware, although it looks like others are aware and I missed it!

I have tried to use totally trains for mail order, and on several occasions been found to be useless and once went in to the shop to speak to someone and was met with hostillity. They had soem continental HO in their my friend was after so rang him up to tell him what TT had to offer. Two sentances into the phone conversation (which was said in quiet not to annoy the other customer in the shop) A TT employee came over and shouted at me to "get out of my shop if you wish to speak on the phone, this is not a cafe" to which I gave him a gesture of my displeasure of him driving away custom and haven't returned since.

David - You can't go wrong with Cheltenham Models, I live 5 minutes walk from them and 95% of my stock bought from their shop. A great bunch and always there and willing to help (Their pre order service is fantastic :)

Ordered a few items from this place on Sunday morning.

It stated that there was at least two of each item I wanted to order.

Received my order this morning.....just an A4 print out of my order stating that there was NO stock in the shop or at the supplier!!ohmy.gif

Ok it's Christmas and everyones busy, but a quick telephone call would have allowed me enough time to get them from another source.icon_frustrated.gif

Just rang them to confirm the order had been cancelled and the guy explained the owner updates the web site but the stock levels are not linked so there is no way of him knowing what is or isn't in stock.

So lets pull a figure out of the air and say thats how many we've got!

Is it nearly 2010 or 1810?

Well pee'd off, needed these to set out my layout, hey ho, will just have to make buildings instead.

Went to Hattons and all the items I wanted in stock and will be delivered after Christmas.

I've seen some people knock Hattons, but the service you get from them means they will always get a lot of business.

Not really trying to have a dig at Totally Trains but just warning others take everything shown on the website with a pinch of salt, suppose it could be my fault in a way by not waiting until Monday and then ringing them......but then why have an online shop saying open 24/7?

It has been noted and unfortunately, they will be at the very bottom of my list of shops to go to now.

We run a Website and it is very difficult to be spot on with stocks, most small suppliers cannot get deals with the main RTR manufacturers thus don't order large quantities. personally I would ask ALL customers if it was needed for a certain date to E.Mail us to ask do we have it and can we get it for that date.

Charlie Petty. DC Kits

Agreed about small suppliers, but judging by their web presence and the amount of advertising they put in the mags, TT is a large supplier or at least aspires to be one. When that much effort and cash goes into the PR front end then it would be good if the actual service matched it, as it almost always does at Hattons for example. To be honest I'm quite surprised TT have survived this long without either mending their ways or going under.

• RMweb Gold

Not impressed either.

I have emailed them 4 or 5 times this year relating to potential orders and never had a reply.

I approached one of the chaps at exhibition regarding this to which he shrugged his shoulders and said "Dunno why" , great eh!

I am looking for some specific coaches, website says 4 in stock. I was going to ring them to confirm but think I will try elsewhere first.

What really bugs me, and this is not just at Totally Trains, but in general with on-line trading is this;

If you have a website, update it, or at least give an indication of how upto date it is.

If you have an email address, monitor and answer it.

If a trader cannot be bothered with either, then why bother at all.

Its better to have no website than a website thats useless.

I am fed up going to websites looking for items and the websites are well out of date.

I went to another traders website yesterday and it stated that it was upto date as of September! Although thats quite recent compared to some.

But at least it stated when it was upto date, which is something I guess.

Archived