Totally Trains Ltd

traction

• 4 weeks later...

I have to say the gent who atteded exibitions was always friendly and polite to me,but on many visits to the shop I would have to say the place reminded me of a waxworks where the staff seemed unwilling or unable to open their mouth or even crack their face to SMILE !!.

Regards.

• RMweb Gold

I have to say the gent who atteded exibitions was always friendly and polite to me,but on many visits to the shop I would have to say the place reminded me of a waxworks where the staff seemed unwilling or unable to open their mouth or even crack their face to SMILE !!.

Regards.

That was the Ross Municipal Waxworks next door :)

Actually to be fair I did always find the staff OK, even quite friendly and helpful, and as you say the bloke at exhibitions always seemed fine. I stopped using the shop because I found it progressively more disappointing with each visit; a great shame as it was really good when it opened, and for a number of years afterwards. I couldn't believe someone had opened a model train shop that was that big.

• RMweb Gold

But the website says the shop is still open! :lol:

As does their advert in the current ModelRail.

No doubt somebody will say that magazine adverts get submitted some time in advance - but I doubt if this would have been before they decided to close the shop.

Does this inspire confidence - or merely bring to mind something else involving the word "confidence"? I'm sure everyone here is more than capable of drawing sensible conclusions.

"Curiouser and curiouser" - or something along those lines (apologies to a certain Charles Lutwidge Dodgson).

I must say that I'm neither surprised nor sorry to see this shop go.

Like everyone else, I had problems with website not remotely reflecting actual stocklevels; unhelpful staff; shop stock not turning for years; poor stock mix and a generally unprofessional attitude.

I live about half an hour from Ross and learned a long time ago that it was not worth the 30 minute drive to see the miserable faces in the shop!

Why, oh why do model shop owners think we owe them a living? TT and another dealer not too far south of Bristol both seem to have a very arrogant attitude with their customers which really discouraged people making the effort to visit their stores.

There are other dealers who are helpful, friendly and efficient. I deal with those and support their business. To the rest I say "good luck and good riddance!"

Why, oh why do model shop owners think we owe them a living? TT and another dealer not too far south of Bristol both seem to have a very arrogant attitude with their customers which really discouraged people making the effort to visit their stores.

There are other dealers who are helpful, friendly and efficient. I deal with those and support their business. To the rest I say "good luck and good riddance!"

Just been reading this thread which brings me to my visit to my local model shop today, a small business in Scunthorpe that's been going donkeys years. The two guys that run it have no concept of good customer service and today it seemed I was an inconvenience even though I did purchase severel items. I have in the past been in the shop when they have served a customer and have heard of them saying unpleasent things about the customer after they have left the shop, Gordon Brown style. I only go in when I need a few bits and pieces otherwise I give them a wide berth, little wonder the same stock has been gathering dust for years.

• 2 weeks later...

Living not far for TT - I was always impressed by the shop. And over years the bought a number of items from them. Bachmann 9f and 37 come to mind, and other bits and pieces. There was a problem with the 9f which they did sort with a replacement.

But I remember enquiring if a deltic was yet available - yes it was in one of the boxes - go try cheltenham model centre though I was told. I was shocked.

After that I never choose to go back - very sad end :huh:

Is Totally Trains' shop still going? I seem to recall they were planning on going mail order only, yet their (notorious) website still seems to imply business as usual. I also note that stock levels are the same as when I had a run in over them for not shipping half of my order despite having advertised they had the stuff in stock.

If they are going mail order only, I would have thought that they should be paying more attention to their website, and in particular information such as stock levels.

Two Saturdays ago I was party to a conversation where someone had visited the previous day on what was alleged, at the time, to be the last week of trading. And walked out with some incredible HO US diesel bargains, £25 a pop or so they said. If it's not yet shut, then I get the idea it's not long for this life...

• 1 month later...

The shop is closed and empty

Well well weel, seems that youre all ahead of me on this one. I wanted an discontinued Farish model of 66610, which no other retailer had in stock. This firm had on ein their magazine adverts and on their website. But the website wouldn't play ball with my PC (it threw a wobbler right at the end of the order process), so I tried to contact them over the phone. No answer for several days before I got the hint.

Jolly frustrating. And lo, as of right now, their website is still active, still shows 4 of these models available, still shows the shop as being open and a going concern.............

Surely Bachmann will no longer be supplying these guys if they no longer retain retail premises so the online thing will only last until they run out of stock?

Got some bargains off them via the phone in the past but they did tell my dad he'd be getting some Clay hoods 'from the next batch' when they were from the previous year and Bachmann weren't making anymore :lol: .

I do hope they eventually do something with the website or take it down so people don't try travelling there.

There are a few other retailers who don't have retail premises but Bachmann supply them. It may be that they will have' Grandfather rights' as an existing Bachmann customer. Their website, however, does not inspire confidence if they are going internet mail order only if it is woefully out of date with regard to the shop (not to mention the stock levels shown have not changed since I had issues with them).

Archived