PLD

Hull Model Railway Show 2012

The 2012 show will be on Saturday 10th & Sunday 11th November 2012

[Remembrance Weekend as usual]

Opening times are 10am to 5pm each day

At the Costello (Athletics) Stadium, Anlaby Park Road North, HULL, HU4 6XY

Admission: Adult: £4, Junior (5-15 years old) £1 [under 5 free]

post-491-0-68594600-1348240667.png

Featuring 18 layouts in scales from 2mm - 7mm, including 4 brand new layouts from the Society and members,

plus the usual varied selection of trade stands and demonstrators.

Full Details are available from the Society Website.

• 3 weeks later...

We now have "B. A. Cookes Engineering" coming to the Show. 7mm/ft 0-16.5 narrow gauge layout. Hull Show web page now updated, look forward to seeing RM Web members over the weelend of the 10th & 11th November in Hull.

Peter

Hull MRS is renown (or should that be infamous) for the prolific output of layouts, and this year is no exception, with four new layouts to make their debut at the show: two from individual members and two from the Society. Here is a flavour of what to expect from the latter pair.

Martini Junction is the new club n-gauge project: This started out as a learning project to enable an influx of new members to learn from the more experienced members who demonstrated their skills which were then copied by the newer members. what you see in the completed layout is at least 50% the work of those newer members - work of which I think they can be proud.

post-491-0-35045200-1350816930_thumb.jpg

post-491-0-77888500-1350817078_thumb.jpg

post-491-0-85577700-1350817040_thumb.jpg

Leven Quay, by contrast is the latest in a very long line of layouts from the 3mm scale group. Again based on BR NE region, this time inspired by the proposed but never constructed North Holderness branch.

post-491-0-98203300-1350816997_thumb.jpg

post-491-0-10160600-1350816962_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Only a week to go now. Show Guide with the printers and all the other bits and pieces falling into place. Look forward to seeing RMWebbers there, I will be operating Barrowfleet when not required for other jobs.

Peter

• RMweb Premium

I have exhibited at (or visited) Hull for the several years and always find it to be one of the most enjoyable shows, either as an exhibitor or a visitor.

This year we are there with Peter Denny's "Leighton Buzzard". This may be the last chance to see it for a while as after a busy year or two on the exhibition circuit, we are drastically reducing exhibition outings to reduce wear and tear and to allow me more time to work on the rest of the layout.

Steve Hall and crew are there with his lovely P4 "Halifax King Cross" and Richard Nice and his gang are there with his very impressive model of "Stainmore Summit" in EM, so those of us interested in modelling in 4mm with wider gauges than 00 will have plenty to interest us.

This show certainly deserves to be well supported, so I hope lots of RMWebbers turn up. I am certainly looking forward to a good weekend.

Tony

Thanks Tony,

You can also add 'Canada Road' and 'Pen-y-Modoc' (both also EM). We do try to cover all interests to appeal to as broad an audience as possible, but the 4mm finer-scale sector is certainly well covered with those five contrasting but equally interesting high quality layouts.

The Full line-up is [barring any last minute emergencies]

• Barrowfleet (4mm/ft ‘00’ & ‘009’) Hull MRS: The clay pits of North Lincolnshire in the early 1970s.
  • B. A. Cookes Engineering (7mm/ft '0-16.5') Mark Surr: a small corner of an engineering works served by a narrow gauge railway.
  • Buxton TMD (4mm/ft ‘00’) Stephen Fields: A representation of the Derbyshire station and depot between 1990-95.
  • Canada Road (4mm/ft ‘EM’) Peter Johnson: A docklands setting, with plenty of stock to cover most areas of the UK between 1960 and 1980.
  • Dragonby (2mm/ft ‘N’) Geoff Buttler: A six track mainline and freight yard from the 1980s onwards.
  • Driffield (4mm/ft ‘00’) Hull MRS: The East Riding station, for a change operating steam and green diesels of the 1960s rather than the usual blue stuff!
  • Farkham (4mm/ft ‘00’) Mickleover MRG: An urban station and freight yard in the Midlands in the 1990s.
  • Foston Mills (7mm/ft ‘0’) John Buck & Dave Rees: A Holderness “might have been” set in the 1950s.
  • Halifax King Cross (4mm/ft ‘P4’) Steve Hall: A supposed extension of the Halifax High Level Railway, modelled at the end of its life in 1960.
  • Jenswell (4mm/ft ‘00’) Chris & Jennifer Nicole: Showing the “next step on from a train set”.
  • Leighton Buzzard (4mm/ft ‘EM’) Tony Gee & Ken Hill: A small terminus in Great Central days, built by the late Rev. Peter Denny as part of his Buckingham empire.
  • Leven Quay (3mm/ft ‘TT’) Hull MRS: more East Riding modelling.
  • Martini Junction (2mm/ft ‘N’) Hull MRS: A through station “any time, any place” in Britain.
  • Pen-y-Madoc (4mm/ft ‘EM’) Steve Farrow: North Wales in the 1930s.
  • Stainmore Summit (4mm/ft ‘EM’) Richard Nice & Martin Lloyd: The famous NER transpennine line in the 1950s.
  • Starker Verkehr (3.5mm/ft ‘H0’) Steve & Jean Grantham: The Aachen area of Germany around 2000.
  • Trinity - Colorado (5.5mm/ft ‘Sn3’) John Farline: US narrow gauge in the 1940s.
  • Walker’s Ridge (3.5mm/ft ‘H0’) Barry & Penarth MRC: A remote settlement near the Canadian/US border in 1952.

Plus our ever popular 'hands on' children's layouts and play area so that children both young and old can have a go!

Well, it all starts very shortly - people should now be gathering at the club rooms to load the vans, and I'll be setting off for the hall soon to do the marking out and wait for our exhibitors to arrive.

If you're coming to the show as an exhibitor or visitor, have a good time. If you're not, then have fun anyway - but not as much as you would have had if you had come!

There is no cash machine and last year some traders did not have card machines. At one stall I wanted to buy £150 worth of stuff but he didn't have a machine. He told me he would pay 3% to have one. I did point out that 3% of £150 was £4.50 and as a result of refusing to accommodate £4.50 he lost £145.50. I will be interested to see if a) he's got a card machine this year, and B) if he's still in business!

I did enjoy the show -small scale and not stuffed with people like York but still busy and very friendly.

There is no cash machine and last year some traders did not have card machines. At one stall I wanted to buy £150 worth of stuff but he didn't have a machine. He told me he would pay 3% to have one. I did point out that 3% of £150 was £4.50 and as a result of refusing to accommodate £4.50 he lost £145.50. I will be interested to see if a) he's got a card machine this year, and B) if he's still in business!

I did enjoy the show -small scale and not stuffed with people like York but still busy and very friendly.

Unfortunately, like most sports centre venues, the more regular customer base doesn't make it worthwhile having one permanently in the venue.

This year if you find yourself short of cash, there are several within a 5-10 minute walk. Ask at the information stand and we will help with directions!

Well all set up in record time! All pretty much to plan (just a slight error with the fish and chip order...). No major rearangements needed, no blood spilt.

Now off to the pub to unwind for a couple of hours before the morning rush...

Hopefully see many of you over the weekend!

I run a small hobby business (not models) and stopped taking credit cards at the end of 2009.

It's not quite as simple as that from the traders point of view as merchant services (who run the card system) want around £40 from you to use the service wether you sell anything on cards or not. Then there is the terminal rental charge and finally the small fee - 30p -75p depending on what card was used.

All fine if your taking several hundred pounds a month. But when it drops to £200 or less you really need to ask yourself if you can do with out it.

Paul

Only managed two hours this afternoon which was a shame as this year was one of the best Hull shows I've been to. Always a good show staged by a friendly bunch but this one really shone. A superb selection of blue chip layouts and some good trade support, congratulations to everyone for their efforts on this one, maybe the best of the year.

Only managed two hours this afternoon which was a shame as this year was one of the best Hull shows I've been to. Always a good show staged by a friendly bunch but this one really shone. A superb selection of blue chip layouts and some good trade support, congratulations to everyone for their efforts on this one, maybe the best of the year.

Was that the two hours in between the fire alarm evacuation and Lord Prescott's visit? An eventful show so far....

Thanks for the kind comments, which are greatly appreciated.

I went to this show yesterday, arrived just after 10, and left as we got tipped out for the fire alarm - I was just about to leave anyway.

Good show, well worth the visit, nice to see Canada Road, and Geoff Kent's demo.

Nice to see lots of families with younger kids - perhaps HMRS have got a reputation locally as they always provide a play area for kids, including putting a carpet down, and having loads of Brio available. So something for everyone really.

Recommend getting down there today.

Kevin

Was that the two hours in between the fire alarm evacuation and Lord Prescott's visit? An eventful show so far....

Thanks for the kind comments, which are greatly appreciated.

The last two hours before I was evicted at close of play, "Two Jags" was around the place when I was there, he seemed pretty impressed.

My first trip to Hull was in 1982 or 83 to see the Tralee & Dingle layout, am I right in thinking Barrowfleet was at that show as well? I've seen it so many times over the years but it still is as popular as ever.

Ummed and ahhed about going today after yesterday's sojourn to Spalding, but eventually took the plunge and went for it. I'm glad I did.

Enjoyed Farkham and the interesting idea of breaking up the viewers' lines of sight I thought worked well on the whole. Stainmore Summit, Barrowfleet, Driffield, Leighton Buzzard, Pen-y-Madoc and Walker's Ridge were other personal favourites.

Saw Baccy's Blue Pullman in the flesh and can certainly see why people are going gaga over it. I am now actually glad that my lack of running space trumps rule #1, or my credit card would be taking a hammering right about now. As it is, I restricted myself to buying a few more bits and pieces including some wall lights from RMLectronics which I'm sure will look the biz when I eventually get them wired in :)

Travelled down from Scarborough on Saturday and must say really good show. Had a good look round with plenty of room to view the excellent layouts & trade stands. Ended up digging deep to purchase some of the excellent Hornby Thompson suburbans which were very reasonably priced. Had many a chat with friends & great to meet up with Robert Denton with his excellent RMLectronics yard lamps. Icing on the cake was managing to buy a superb working semaphore signal for my 'Haymarket Cross' layout from Mick Nicholson.

Ian H

Archived