Hornby 2010 Announcements Topic

Andy Y

In the leaked blog there was talk of an LT set. Anyone know anything about it?

If by LT you infer London Transport, then I don't recall anything leaked.

The page I saw (translated from Japanese) did say "London Train Pack". I assume this refers to the London 2012 Train Pack. This is the Class 395 in the ghastly Olympics livery. See slides 16 - 17. (WARNING - 42MB.) Andy has this linked at the top of this thread.

Curiously, I don't see this on Hornby's website. I hope for Hornby's sake it sells well with the Olympic tie in, but IMHO it truly looks awful.

If by LT you infer London Transport, then I don't recall anything leaked.

The page I saw (translated from Japanese) did say "London Train Pack". I assume this refers to the London 2012 Train Pack. This is the Class 395 in the ghastly Olympics livery. See slides 16 - 17. (WARNING - 42MB.) Andy has this linked at the top of this thread.

Curiously, I don't see this on Hornby's website. I hope for Hornby's sake it sells well with the Olympic tie in, but IMHO it truly looks awful.

Hi,

In the Christmas special of the Hornby Newsletter, it asks about completing a survey on models for London 2012. In one of the questions it shows a picture of a tube carriage in Bright Orange Livery with Blue London 2012 logos.

Hope this helps

Simon

To the announced 2010 Hornby range the following unreleased items from 2008/9 can be added:-

R2420A BR AIA-AIA Diesel Electric D5511

R2809 First Great Western Class 142

R2812 First Great Western High Speed Train Pack

R2812X First Great Western High Speed Train Pack

R2815 Southern Suburban 1957 Train Pack

R2819 Bournemouth Belle Train Pack

R2843 SR Schools 'Dulwich'

R2843X SR Schools 'Dulwich'

R2848 GWR 'Tintagel Castle

R2848X GWR 'Tintagel Castle

R2849 'Beverston Castle' BR (Early)

R2849X 'Beverston Castle' BR (Early)

R2850 'Ince Castle' BR (Late)

R2850X 'Ince Castle' BR (Late)

R2890 Mk3 DVT 'EWS Managers Train' Train Pack

R4271A Virgin Trains Pendolino Standard Buffet Coach

R4336B SR Bulleid Green Corridor 3rd Class Coach (High Window)

R4338A SR Bulleid Green Corridor Composite Coach (High Window)

R4338B SR Bulleid Green Corridor Composite Coach (High Window)

R4339B SR Bulleid Green 6 Compartment 3rd Class Brake (High Window)*

R4341A SR Bulleid Green 3rd Class Brake Composite (High Window)

R4341B SR Bulleid Green 3rd Class Brake Composite (High Window)

R4342A SR Bulleid Green Maunsell 4 Compartment 3rd Brake Coach (High Window)

R4342B SR Bulleid Green Maunsell 4 Compartment 3rd Brake Coach (High Window)

R4343B BR carmine & cream Maunsell Corridor 3rd (High Window) *

R4344B BR carmine & cream Maunsell Corridor 1st (High Window) *

R4346A BR carmine & cream Maunsell Brake 3rd (High Window)

R4346B BR carmine & cream Maunsell Brake 3rd (High Window)

R4348A BR carmine & cream Maunsell Brake Composite Coach (High Window)

R4348B BR carmine & cream Maunsell Brake Composite Coach (High Window)

R4349B BR carmine & cream Maunsell 4 Compartment 3rd Class Brake Coach (High Window)

R4369 FGW Mk3 Open 1st Coach

R4370 FGW Mk3 Open Tourist Class Coach

R4371 FGW Mk3 Buffet Car

R4372 FGW Mk3 TGS Coach

R4379 Southern Suburban 1957 Coach Pack

R4381 Bournemouth Belle Coach Pack

R4384 Pullman 1st Class 12 wheel Kitchen Car 'Monaco'

R4385 Pullman 3rd Class 12 wheel Parlour Car '98'

R4394A SR Maunsell Green Maunsell 4 Compartment 3rd Brake Coach (High Window)

R4394B SR Maunsell Green Maunsell 4 Compartment 3rd Brake Coach (High Window)

R4395A BR Green Maunsell 4 Compartment 3rd Class Brake Coach (High Window)

R4395B BR Green Maunsell 4 Compartment 3rd Class Brake Coach (High Window)

R4396 Mk3 DVT 'One'

R4397 Mk3 DVT 'Virgin Trains'

R8246 Sapphire Mini Decoder

* now listed as a 2010 release by Hornby (as are R4339A, R4343A, R4344A, R4345A which have been released!)

I cannot say that i'm impressed with the lack of new diesels again this year, come on Hornby stop concentrating on steam every year I would like to see a new or heavy upgraded diesel. I bought 25 locos/units in 2009 and very few were Hornby because of the lack luster number of diesels in their range.

I think we've had it with new diesels from Hornby, any best bets are surely to be Bachmann now for up-to-date, high spec DMUs (OO Meridan this year? Or Desiro family?) Hornby as have shown with the VEP, are unwilling to test the water, leaving it to Bachmann and then intend to capitalize on it if it seems to be profitable to Bachmann.

The reason why Hornby has not bothered with new Diesels will be financial and I doubt it is the lack of customer- support for Diesels. Between 1949 and 1968 there were two distinct livery changes so things are simple and customers settled for pre 1956 and post 1956. With diesels it was basically green era, with or without yellow warning panel, or blue era.

Since 1986 there have been more liveries than soft mick. Within triple-grey livery and a single class of loco there were umpteen different sector markings meaning one mans cup of tea is another man waiting for his favourite sector symbol......Result: traders shelves bulging with unwanted models and low sales for Hornby.

As clearly shown in RMweb threads, the penny still hasn't dropped with some collectors/modellers, hence cries like, "When are they going to do such & such a loco or Unit in such & such a livery that was worn in my area from 2004 for three months?" Another being the constant expectation of retooled locos just because we've moved on a year.

The answer of course is to make a New Year resolution to do a spot of painting and apply the decals.smile.gif

I cannot say that i'm impressed with the lack of new diesels again this year, come on Hornby stop concentrating on steam every year I would like to see a new or heavy upgraded diesel. I bought 25 locos/units in 2009 and very few were Hornby because of the lack luster number of diesels in their range.

Any particular classes in mind...? I doubt Hornby would consider a short lived prototype or less sucessful modernisation plan diesel, which is all there is left to model without taking a big risk. They could do with updating the 25 and 67 though....

... With diesels it was basically green era, with or without yellow warning panel, or blue era.

Since 1986 there have been more liveries than soft mick.

.....Result: traders shelves bulging with unwanted models and low sales for Hornby.

As clearly shown in RMweb threads, the penny still hasn't dropped with some collectors/modellers, hence cries like, "When are they going to do such & such a loco or Unit in such & such a livery that was worn in my area from 2004 for three months?" ...

A very good point, Coach; not only Hornby models but particularly ViTrains, which I would think many smaller retailers will be very wary of because they simply dont know which ones aren't going to sell.

Personally, I've long felt that the resultant fragmentation of the D&E sector of the hobby (and consequent parochialised expectations) is what puts the kaibosh on so many 'modern image' (sic) initiatives, whether it be shows, magazines or whatever. Going OT now, of course

With apologies if this point has already been made; my lame excuse would then be that I missed it.

The inclusion of an additional sub-species within the King Arthur range appears to have slipped in below the radar.

King Arthur class number 30452 (452) "Sir Meliagrance" was on of the "Eastleigh Arthurs" (Numbers 448 to 457 inclusive, and included 453 "King Arthur") not previously covered.

The Eastleigh Arthurs had several distinguishing features to give delight to the rivet-counter, but best of all was the enlarged watercart tender (itself similar to but not quite the same as the watercart tenders on the T9s and others.)

So my new dilemma is the same as my old dilemma. Do I buy "Sir Meliagrance" in its BR livery, and promptly seek a repaint to SR Black, or do I wait until Hornby produce the very thing? (As happened to my T9s).

For a catalogue that is supposedly moving away from Southern subjects, I think that I have been very well served for yet another year. I waited long enough........

PB

Peter - please forgive me if I have read your post incorrectly but I thought the very first of the new Hornby Arthurs a couple of years ago was "King Arthur" homself - which falls into your spread above. Of course whether there are any around on the shelves now is another matter.

Peter - please forgive me if I have read your post incorrectly but I thought the very first of the new Hornby Arthurs a couple of years ago was "King Arthur" homself - which falls into your spread above. Of course whether there are any around on the shelves now is another matter.

As modelled by Hornby it had an 8 wheel bogie tender.

The reason why Hornby has not bothered with new Diesels will be financial and I doubt it is the lack of customer- support for Diesels. Between 1949 and 1968 there were two distinct livery changes so things are simple and customers settled for pre 1956 and post 1956. With diesels it was basically green era, with or without yellow warning panel, or blue era.

Since 1986 there have been more liveries than soft mick. Within triple-grey livery and a single class of loco there were umpteen different sector markings meaning one mans cup of tea is another man waiting for his favourite sector symbol......Result: traders shelves bulging with unwanted models and low sales for Hornby.

As clearly shown in RMweb threads, the penny still hasn't dropped with some collectors/modellers, hence cries like, "When are they going to do such & such a loco or Unit in such & such a livery that was worn in my area from 2004 for three months?" Another being the constant expectation of retooled locos just because we've moved on a year.

The answer of course is to make a New Year resolution to do a spot of painting and apply the decals.Posted Image

A very good point, Coach; not only Hornby models but particularly ViTrains, which I would think many smaller retailers will be very wary of because they simply dont know which ones aren't going to sell.

Personally, I've long felt that the resultant fragmentation of the D&E sector of the hobby (and consequent parochialised expectations) is what puts the kaibosh on so many 'modern image' (sic) initiatives, whether it be shows, magazines or whatever. Going OT now, of course

To a degree I'll agree, but I am sure there'll be just as many "steam outline" boxes gathering dust on retailers shelves - unless they selectively cut their losses. I have no evidence, but I understand the retailers were lumbered with extensive stocks of Q1s. I would imagine King Arthurs and T9s and "Abused" West Countrys will also be a problem unless retailers are scrupulous with stock control, and matching stock to orders.

I'm interested to know what the poster who complained about the lack of Hornby 2010 diesel initiatives, was hoping for.

Its interesting to look at the American way of doing things, with a base model offered in a variety of liveries which don't always precisely match the model - rather like the Bachmann Class 108 which Model Rail are about to offer painted as a Strathclyde Class 107. It might not be perfect but it means the model is a whole lot more viable than completely tooling one up from scratch.

• RMweb Gold

King Arthur class number 30452 (452) "Sir Meliagrance" was on of the "Eastleigh Arthurs" (Numbers 448 to 457 inclusive, and included 453 "King Arthur") not previously covered.

The Eastleigh Arthurs had several distinguishing features to give delight to the rivet-counter, but best of all was the enlarged watercart tender (itself similar to but not quite the same as the watercart tenders on the T9s and others.)

So my new dilemma is the same as my old dilemma. Do I buy "Sir Meliagrance" in its BR livery, and promptly seek a repaint to SR Black, or do I wait until Hornby produce the very thing? (As happened to my T9s).

PB

Peter

It certainly was noticed by me, although it did not come as too much of a surprise :icon_e_wink: . Yes I will be ordering one from Gareth and it will quickly become 455 Sir Launcelot in SR black.

Hello Geoffers,

Thanks for your comment, and you had read my post correctly. If there has already been a Hornby version of "King Arthur" then I certainly did miss it; at least I can now start a catch-up process.

Muz will no doubt beat me to the draw (again) with the respray. Don't forget the snifting valves.........

PB

Peter

It certainly was noticed by me, although it did not come as too much of a surprise :icon_e_wink: . Yes I will be ordering one from Gareth and it will quickly become 455 Sir Launcelot in SR black.

Actually I posted a reply on this topic on page 2 of this thread!! I'm delighted to see the watercart tender version arrive and since I model (mostly!) late 1956/early 1957 I intend to use 30452's tender

on my model of 30453. I'm then going to attach 30453's tender to 30452 and renumber as either 30448 or 30449 which were the very first to have the Urie 8 wheelers attached. Some sources

say 1955, others 1956. Anyone know which is correct?

I am wondering whether the engine tender coupling will change from the old type to the new plug in type for this model, or whether the DCC chip will remain in the loco. If this complication

arises I think it should just be possible to switch the loco bodies over to effect the change

Happy new year everyone

Norm

• RMweb Gold

Hello Geoffers,

Thanks for your comment, and you had read my post correctly. If there has already been a Hornby version of "King Arthur" then I certainly did miss it; at least I can now start a catch-up process.

Muz will no doubt beat me to the draw (again) with the respray. Don't forget the snifting valves.........

PB

The Hornby previous issue of 'King Arthur" was in her post April 1957 condition after her watercart tender was replaced by a Urie bogie type.

Yes will add the snfiting valves back onto 455 as she didn't loose them until 1948 and the version Hornby is releasing with the watercart tender correctly for the livery does not have them

• RMweb Gold

Actually I posted a reply on this topic on page 2 of this thread!! I'm delighted to see the watercart tender version arrive and since I model (mostly!) late 1956/early 1957 I intend to use 30452's tender

on my model of 30453. I'm then going to attach 30453's tender to 30452 and renumber as either 30448 or 30449 which were the very first to have the Urie 8 wheelers attached. Some sources

say 1955, others 1956. Anyone know which is correct?

I am wondering whether the engine tender coupling will change from the old type to the new plug in type for this model, or whether the DCC chip will remain in the loco. If this complication

arises I think it should just be possible to switch the loco bodies over to effect the change

Happy new year everyone

Norm

Norm

The date I have for the tender changes were for 448 May 55 and for 449 Nov 55

The loco to tender coupling will be as per the rest of the Hornby KA range ie the old style drawbar with the chip still located in the loco.

Its interesting to look at the American way of doing things, with a base model offered in a variety of liveries which don't always precisely match the model - rather like the Bachmann Class 108 which Model Rail are about to offer painted as a Strathclyde Class 107. It might not be perfect but it means the model is a whole lot more viable than completely tooling one up from scratch.

Yeah, so I understand. But I really cannot see any wider adoption of that getting past certain sections of the model press ;)

Taking the 'American' approach to liveries (basically, if you put certain liveries such as Union Pacific on a model it will sell regardless of whether UP actually had that type of loco or not)would offer more variety for modellers. You could - for instance - have a 'Voyager' in Midland Main line or EMT livery. Sure, it would cause apoplexy in certain quarters but surely its the majority that we have to please. Would the majority be horrified or happy at such a prospect? Perhaps this is a question for a new thread rather than here. Mind you, Hornby's Blue Rapier, a dumbed-down 'Javelin' has potential for such bogus liveries. It is already about to be offered in a phoney Olympic livery.

CHRIS LEIGH

Archived