Hornby 2010 Announcements Topic

Andy Y

I notice there is another Grand Central buffet coach does this mean the other one was incorrect or is it just a new running number

The R4331 Buffet used the TRUB bodyshell whereas Grand Central's Buffets are based on the TRSB, the main visual difference being the number of seating bays, the TRUB has three and the TRSB four. IIRC the Lima Buffet was also a TRUB so this will have to be a completely new model.

Hornby's proposed Cargo D(WSMR), EWS company train and VWC buffets are loco hauled 102xx series coaches and whilst they also have four seating bays the windows at the other end are different to the HST TRSB so in theory there should be two completely new models! Not that easy though as the loco hauled buffets also come with at least two window styles on the corridor side, at least one of the Cargo D and the VWC 10212 in the Pretendolino have full size whereas other Cargo D and the EWS buffet have half depth windows.

Off the GWR topic - what happened to the LMSR and why is there very little comment about it? The only LMSR item I noticed was a Patriot and a MR Jinty in the Railroad range. We've heard heaps from pleased LNER fans, slightly grumpy GWR and SR fans but almost nothing from the truly overlooked - LMSR fans.

Well I for one aint complaining, as far as I'm concerned the only serious gap rtr wise is the Stanier mogul, but I have 3 kit built ones so no problems.

I've been well entertained, and had a good laugh at some of the 'froth' on this thread, but as far as I'm concerned, Hornby good on yer. With a decent 28xx, and the proposed L1, that model of part of the S&MJR (Clifford Sidings) is getting a bit closer.biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Guest Max Stafford

I'm happy too as there's one locomotive (L1) and one coach (Hawksworth BG) in the new additions that will be nice to have.

Even if there was nothing this year I'd be happy as I've got kits to build, models to renumber, space for a layout, a roof over my head and the good health to enjoy all of them.

Do I need owt else? :)

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Curiously there were two diagrams for Hawksworth Corridor Third coaches, namely C82 and C84, and i have never found a person or book that could explain the difference. They were certainly from different build periods and coincidently, the C82s had three figure running numbers, the C84s had four figure numbers. Maybe it was to do with the windows, i remember reading somewhere about problems with lack of ventilation in the corridors ? Perhaps there was a change to the interior, the contemporary Hawky autocoaches had four separate diagrams for this reason ?

By the way, for the curious, C83 were the Non-Corridor Thirds, C85 was the unique Corridor Third with the lightweight chassis.

Please help !

Cheers, Brian.

From "Great Western Coaches" by Michael Harris:

Lot 1691 (12/6/1948) C82, No. 781-832

Lot 1706 (16/4/1949) C84, No. 1713-37

Lot 1714 (27/11/1948) C82, No. 855-924

Lot 1720 (30/4/1949) C82, No. 2107-36.

Lot 1735 (22/4/1950) C84, No. 2264-92

(Lots 1714/20 built by Gloucester RCW)

As you can see the lots alternated somewhat so I would think there must be some difference between them.

Harris lists lots of experimental features in the batches of C82 e.g. alloys, plastics, fluorescent lighting etc. - but not all numbers seem to be covered.

Maybe the C84 were the standard version?

Anybody else with more info?

Keith

Thanks Keith,

C84 was certainly a revised version of the Corridor 3rd. Both Swindon and Gloucester RCW built both diagram types so that's not the difference. We've been discussing this on BR Coaching Stock yahoo forum and the best theory so far, is that some plain windows were changed to opening windows on the corridor side, due to ventilation problems. This certainly applies to BTKs and CKs, but so far all pictures of TKs appear the same.

Cheers, Brian.

I'm happy too as there's one locomotive (L1) and one coach (Hawksworth BG) in the new additions that will be nice to have.

Even if there was nothing this year I'd be happy as I've got kits to build, models to renumber, space for a layout, a roof over my head and the good health to enjoy all of them.

Do I need owt else? smile.gif

Dave.

Amen to that bro!!!biggrin.gif

On balance I have to say I'm happy, despite the fact that the only thing which interests me is the little ex-L&Y puggie. In so far as there's nothing I was desperately hoping and praying for, by that same token I'm not disappointed by its failure to appear. A Gresley BG would have been good, but it would also have been an astonishing surprise in the circumstances. However while "there's nothing for me" I'm not unhappy; Hornby are obviously in good shape again after last year's troubles and who knows what tomorrow may bring.

Something Scottish would be nice though... B)

Just speculating but I don't think I have seen a relivery to the class 87 this year and has the new pantograph tooled up for the lima release been used elsewhere?

Maybe Hornby are waiting to see how the Heljan 86 sells or something new for DEMU showcase? A new 87 must be on the cards!

You heard it here first.

mark

• RMweb Gold

Very happy already reserved an NSE 4-VEP. This has come just at the right time. I really need a couple but will limit it to one until I havw worked out how besat to EM it :huh:

PS No 1 son (who is only 22) is also trying to pursuade me to buy the royal train.

Dave

Just speculating but I don't think I have seen a relivery to the class 87 this year and has the new pantograph tooled up for the lima release been used elsewhere?

Maybe Hornby are waiting to see how the Heljan 86 sells or something new for DEMU showcase? A new 87 must be on the cards!

You heard it here first.

mark

They didn't bother to tool up a new pantograph, only a new base for their existing plastic highspeed pan that'd fit the underscale pan supports on the Lima bodyshell.

I don't know if a new 87 is on the way, but could someone present Hornby with an award for the worst RTR loco...? I can't think of another with as many faults as their 87....

The "new" pullmans are they new or are they 1928 as apposed to the current K 1925 types? The R numbers are differentto the original batch - i can't seem to find any definite information on them.

I haven't checked rigourously but the 2010 Pullmans don't appear to be any different structurally to the previous models, so I can't explain why Hornby went with new R numbers.

There are two (and I use the term loosely) "sets".

One has matchboard sides: 1st parlor + kitchen, 3rd parlor + kitchen + brake.

The second has smooth steel sides: 1st parlor + kitchen, 2nd parlor, 3rd kitchen + brake.

The 12 wheelers have matchboard sides.

This detail is more evident in the presentation from Hornby that Andy linked at the top of the thread. You can't tell which is matchboard and which has steel sides from the Hornby website.

To be accurate, the Flying Scotsman USA tour pack requires some modification to existing models. For the tour Flying Scotsman itself was outfitted with a pilot (cow catcher), bell, whistle, knuckle coupler and headlight on its front end while the buffers were removed from the back of the Pullman observation car and a bracket added to hold a knuckle coupler. The whole train was made up of a BCK, 5 ex-LNER Gresley and Thompson BGs, Pullman Cars Lydia and Isle of Thanet and the observation car. US modellers do not understand what UK 00 gauge is. They have never indulged in the 4mm scale-gauge religious wars of the UK. To the NMRA 00 gauge is 19mm as represented by the Lionel and Scalecraft products from the late 1930s. Hornby doesn't have an extensive distribution network in the US and their name is not well known. So, again, who is going to buy this train pack?

I am delighted to see that Hornby intends to continue producing different models with its Pullman Observation Car. One of next year's choices is intriguing: The 1947 style with white roof is fine, but I would query the USA tour version. To be accurate, it would require a retooling of the sides, replacing the narrow smooth panel with simple matchboarding. No 14 was in that state by then, as indeed it had been when in Scotland on the Oban and, finally, Kyle lines. I can't see Hornby going to those lengths, somehow. However, the livery is very well reproduced.

Congratulations to Hornby! smile.gif

An earlier poster asked if the 28xx's ever made it into Cornwall..... again, the old faithful Bradford Bartons come to the rescue, 'GW Steam In Cornwall' has 2828 on a rake of vans between St. Erth and Marazion in May 1940.

Nidge

That would be me!! Thanks for that, at least ten years too early for when im modelling but i think that might just justify one biggrin.gif May have to rethink the BLT idea though...

As for comments on moaning GW/WR modellers. im very happy!! My only minor complaint is that theres alot more Castles with Early Crests (3 or 4?) and so far only one i believe with late crest. However if the bank will allow it i may be able to solve this with a double castle purchase and tender swap, though il have to be careful of the detail difference minefield...blink.gif

To be accurate, the Flying Scotsman USA tour pack requires some modification to existing models. ... [REDACTED] ... US modellers do not understand what UK 00 gauge is. They have never indulged in the 4mm scale-gauge religious wars of the UK. To the NMRA 00 gauge is 19mm as represented by the Lionel and Scalecraft products from the late 1930s. Hornby doesn't have an extensive distribution network in the US and their name is not well known. So, again, who is going to buy this train pack?

The only Hornby product I have ever seen marketed in the US was a half-hearted attempt with the Live Steam A3s. I certainly don't expect anyone in the US to be interested in Flying Scotsman and given your location, I think you understand this pretty well.

This product is intended for people who model British outline and particularly the 4472 fans. There does seem to be a number of people who collect every variant of Flying Scotsman that Hornby makes. The double tender was a highly-requested item, so, for those particular 4472 fans, the combination of the double tender and the observation car makes this highly desirable. Not my cup of tea, but the double tender will be a big draw.

As for comments on moaning GW/WR modellers. im very happy!! My only minor complaint is that theres alot more Castles with Early Crests (3 or 4?) and so far only one i believe with late crest.

I fully understand where you are coming from - we are a hard bunch to please.

Here's my list of the imminent Castles. (Apologies for the formatting, I don't know how to build a table.)

R2822 No. 5053 BR Earl Cairns, early crest, single chimney, Hawksworth tender (AVAILABLE)

R2958 No. 5011 GWR Tintagel Castle, ??? crest, single chimney, Collett tender

R2849 No. 5068 BR Beverston Castle, early crest single chimney, Collett tender

R2850 No. 7034 BR Ince Castle, late crest, double chimney, Collett tender

R2897XS No. 4098 BR Kidwelly Castle, early crest, single chimney, Hawksworth tender (DCC with sound)

R2958 No. 7007 BR Great Western, early crest, single chimney, Hawksworth tender (GWR-175 limited to 1000)

R???? No. 7037 BR Swindon, late crest, single chimney, Collett tender (GWR-175 limited to 1000)

It's easy to get the details wrong since there is no single source for this information. Let me know if I switched something.

There appears to be four early crests, two late crests and one GWR liveried model.

• RMweb Gold

I fully understand where you are coming from - we are a hard bunch to please.

Here's my list of the imminent Castles. (Apologies for the formatting, I don't know how to build a table.)

R2822 No. 5053 BR Earl Cairns, early crest, single chimney, Hawksworth tender (AVAILABLE)

R2958 No. 5011 GWR Tintagel Castle, ??? crest, single chimney, Collett tender

R2849 No. 5068 BR Beverston Castle, early crest single chimney, Collett tender

R2850 No. 7034 BR Ince Castle, late crest, double chimney, Collett tender

R2897XS No. 4098 BR Kidwelly Castle, early crest, single chimney, Hawksworth tender (DCC with sound)

R2958 No. 7007 BR Great Western, early crest, single chimney, Hawksworth tender (GWR-175 limited to 1000)

R???? No. 7037 BR Swindon, late crest, single chimney, Collett tender (GWR-175 limited to 1000)

It's easy to get the details wrong since there is no single source for this information. Let me know if I switched something.

There appears to be four early crests, two late crests and one GWR liveried model.

7037 is a special edition being sold only through the 'Steam' museum at Swindon - illustrations have so far shown it with two different tenders and with two different crests! The most recent offical handbill from 'Steam' shows a photo of the real one as you have described it. Interestingly 5053 in the detail condition released by Hornby is virtually as 7037 was when new so, tender apart, I think we could hazard a guess what 7037 will look like but I'll let you know once mine is in my hands.

As most of the 2009 release 'Castle's were illustrated in the catalogue using the same prototype photo it might, or might not, be wishful thinking to suggest at this stage that they will be coming with a certain tender in a particular livery. Logically it would be sensible to add more late crest examples to even up the numbers but perhaps production methodology might take precedence over our logic :blink: .

7037 is a special edition being sold only through the 'Steam' museum at Swindon - illustrations have so far shown it with two different tenders and with two different crests! The most recent offical handbill from 'Steam' shows a photo of the real one as you have described it.

As most of the 2009 release 'Castle's were illustrated in the catalogue using the same prototype photo it might, or might not, be wishful thinking to suggest at this stage that they will be coming with a certain tender in a particular livery. Logically it would be sensible to add more late crest examples to even up the numbers but perhaps production methodology might take precedence over our logic :blink: .

Mike,

my only data on 7037 comes from the Hornby presentation that Andy has linked at the beginning of this thread.

The most relevant information for the 2009 models comes from Simon Kohler who was published in a MREmag item from August 17 saying:

Concerning those 'Castles' in the catalogue:

R2848 - GWR Collett tender.

R2849 - early BR single chimney Collett tender.

R2850 - late BR double chimney Collett tender.

R2822 - Pete Waterman, early BR single chimney, Hawksworth tender.

The biggest guess I made was assigning No. 5068 to Beverston Castle. There were two, but 5044 was apparently renamed Earl of Dunraven in 1937. The 2010 items are inferred from the published images. The list is one gleaned from available sources and I cannot represent it as being in any way official - and therefore subject to all kinds of errors, some of which could very easily be mine.

Archived