Is there a prototype for the Merioneth and Llantisilly Railway Traction Co.?

cnw1995

I beg your indulgence for asking a prototype question for a not-quite-a=prototype line. Please redirect me if it would be more accurately posted elsewhere. I have been planning an Ivor layout in O gauge. There's plenty of inspiration from watching the videos and the map on the smallfilms website. I've tried researching railways in the 'top left-hand corner of Wales' not so much to find an exact match -- more something to inform Ivor's 'operations' once I plot this out.

I found a wonderful timetable (effective May 1922) in the Ivor iPad app, but I'd appreciate your insights:

Was Ivor narrow-gauge?

Was the presumption the line was created to be a coal-(and gold) carrier?

What railway would be his connection to the rest of the world?

Yes Ivor is standard gauge. In one story he visits Pontypool Roads for an inspection. His most common load seems to be coal for grumbly gasworks although he carries a lot of foodstuffs (in open wagons :O) farming machinery and even sheep.

I always imagined the M&LRTCL as a sort of Welsh Colonel Stephens line. :locomotive:

Locolines produced a card kit for Ivor in 16mm scale (SM32), I don't think they are still trading though as I can't find a working website.

I used to have an Ivor Annual that had a company map in it, can't remember too much about it but do seem to recall there was more than one connection with the mainline railway, not many passing loops, and the engine shed was on one leg of a wye.

• RMweb Premium

It's not what you'd call hard evidence, but a supplier of limited edition wagons (West Wales Wagon Works) did a OO model of the Grumbly Gas Works coal wagon.

I would agree with Karhedron about a Welsh Colonel Stephens type line - if you look at the pictures, the stock looks relatively small and close to the ground. When shown visiting Pontypool Roads, he's overshadowed by the other engines, but is travelling on the same lines. Maybe I'm taking things too seriously/literally, but the operations seemed to be very relaxed as well - such as no brake vans being used.

Do let us know how you get on.

The map is here

http://www.smallfilm...uk/ivor/map.htm

Pete

That's the one...!!

I always wondered why there weren't many sidings or loops, in theory you could store stock on one leg of the wyes but even on an "one engine in steam" network, something would be in the way most of the time. I'm also guessing the M&LRTCo had access across the main line at Tewyn...

i think the main line did have acess as one story ivor goes to the beach with his choir and after finding out that ivor too would like to be at the sand and in the water too they get a crane and lower him in , he goes in to the water and people splash and dive offf ivor while inthe water . ivor is happy and every one is happy .

In the iPad game, there's a lot of stopping on Ivor's main line, but there's a siding at the gas works and Pugh's pit.

Dana, isn't it interesting to compare Percy et al falling into water and causing confusion and delay. :laugh:

• RMweb Gold

Love this idea, although animating Idris might be difficult!

You need DCC Sound for definite to capture Ivor's distinct puffing sound. If in doubt my toddler could give you a sample!

Phonetically I think it would be "Sherrr-te-cumpf, sherrr-te-cumpf, sherrr-te-cumpf....... " ;)

• RMweb Premium

Psst-Koff according to the Small Films website:

http://www.smallfilm...r/psst-koff.wav

You'll also need Jones the Steam: http://www.smallfilm...ivor/comeon.wav

Not sure if Percy would be a good chassis donor - Ivor's wheels look bigger and are closer spaced. Maybe a 14xx would be better?

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

One problem that always worries me when I hear the introduction referring to the top left hand corner of wales... where are the coal mines? No coal up there, only slate. Bottom right hand corner would work, or perhaps the right hand middley bit (Wrexham). Then again, writer's prerogative I suppose :scratchhead:

I've always imagined it being somewhere in the top end of the valleys (despite being top left corner) but then again the seaside and mountains does fit with North West Wales.

My 2yr old loves Ivor, far more than Thomas or Chuggington (for those without small children wondering what Chuggington is think Thomas on amphetamines!!). For this I'm eternally grateful as it is far superior as a program. If the OPs layout gets built I do hope it's exhibited somewhere in the north. We'll be there in a flash!

Ps I hope the layout also includes smoking volcanos, singing dragons and male voice choirs!!

His most common load seems to be coal for grumbly gasworks although he carries a lot of foodstuffs (in open wagons :O) farming machinery and even sheep.

Apart from wet fish, which is wrapped in paper and carried on top of Ivor's bunker in one episode.

Ivor is great, much better than that irritating blue do-gooder... My wife bought me the DVD for my last birthday. She finds the idea of a grown man watching a kids TV programme to be a bit strange, but I find the gentle pace of life in Ivor's world to be quite refreshing.

Ivor is great, much better than that irritating blue do-gooder... My wife bought me the DVD for my last birthday. She finds the idea of a grown man watching a kids TV programme to be a bit strange, but I find the gentle pace of life in Ivor's world to be quite refreshing.

Tell her from me that my two sons (both in their late 20s) remember Ivor with great affection, and sometimes still watch him on youtube. Thomas they wouldn't give you a thank you for, but when Ivor visited the Cholsey & Wallingford Railway some years ago, we all made the effort to go and see him.

(Edited to add) It would not be the first e-mail about the weather one of them has sent me that begins "It was snowing in the bottom right-hand corner of England..."

the 1958 series explains how ivor got the whistle and joins the choir . later episodes , this is the trafic ive noticed elephants ( the visitor ) sheep(snow drifts ) welsh antquarian society ( an episode involving idris dragon and family ) GRUMBLY CHIor ,black powder gold ,coal etc

Guest stuartp

Not sure if Percy would be a good chassis donor - Ivor's wheels look bigger and are closer spaced. Maybe a 14xx would be better?

A few minutes misuse of the office photocopier some time ago suggested that if you resize it for 16mm wheels the buffers come out at about the right height for 4mm. The only issue then is the complete lack of any visible chassis (really, go check the vids). There are some old 16mm Romfords set aside for the purpose...

There were a number of minor Welsh standard gauge railways often with spendidly convoluted names, such as the Burry Port and Gwendraeth Valley Railway, the South Wales Mineral Railway, and the famous Swansea & Mumbles. But maybe the Mawddy Light Railway is a better fit, as Nick Holliday has suggested above. Unfortunately I am having a 'senior moment' recalling the name of the railway on which I have always assumed that the Merioneth and Llantisilly Railway Traction Co was based - there is a wonderful interview with an old lady on one of the old BBC railway LPs, which I have not heard for about 35 years, describing its chaotic operations (only one engine which periodically broke down, carrying her father on the footplate because he was the only passenger, etc - sounds a bit like the Talyllyn Railway under Haydn Jones! But no doubt narrow gauge folklore also played a role in Oliver Postgate's thoughts). Hopefully the name will come to me.

Incidentally I bought the complete Ivor DVD for my children for about £3.50 from Amazon last Christmas, so I don't think that there is any need to resort to wobby films on You Tube.

Archived